so -- is this a hundred bucks' worth of fun, or just junk?

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
edited September 2017 in 2 Channel Audio

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would say $100 worth of fun

Funny as I was just reading an email from CEDIA show just 30minutes ago about this product which is similar but w/o the DAC

"Just to let you know, Roemtech is now shipping the all new DMA-355H featured at CEDIA.
    It is the worlds smallest 2.1 home theater amplifier."

https://youtu.be/M9dUO3pNutE

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I use the S.M.S.L. M8 DAC in my work headphone rig. It's a gem for the price paid. If I needed something like the integrated posted, I'd give it a shot for $100.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I think it would be a nice desktop rig solution.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    One man's trash is another man's treasure... you know this all too well sir.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options

touché :)

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

touché :)

lol... I wish I could find 1/10th of the goodies you have. I am envious of your collection. B)

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Fun. I had the old version and was really impressed with the sound. Mine had issues with the USB port, so I ended up sending it back. But still, for $100 it was fun.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    I think they are hit and miss. I bought my son an SMSL amp that was rated 30W/ch. I forget what class-T amp chip it used but it was one of the better ones at the time. It actually was very decent. However, it was apparently taken out by ESD when he unplugged the power from the box itself when it was still on. I bought another that was rated 100W/ch. It was louder but the sound was grainy compared to the first one. Other than the ESD weakness, they seem to be decently made.

If you do a little research on the TDAxxxx chips you may find an SMSL amp that uses the better sounding ones.

I was thinking of buying one with a DAC to use in my office with some Realistic Optimus 7 Pro speakers.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • AVnut57
    Options
    Is everyone aware of the Little bear P1 tube headphone amp? IMHO I'm new here,4e6yujfd49kq.jpg
    it's
    the best $45.00 you will ever spend? Built like Chinese junk, but sounds heavenly!
    Lsi 7's, Snell E.5's, velodyne & polk subs, Trancendant pre , Musical concepts & Musical design Amps, Cal Audio CD player
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    Hmmmm, wrong thread. I thought he was talking about something inflatable.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • codycatalist
    Options
    AVnut57 wrote: »
    Is everyone aware of the Little bear P1 tube headphone amp? IMHO I'm new here,4e6yujfd49kq.jpg
    it's
    the best $45.00 you will ever spend? Built like Chinese junk, but sounds heavenly!

Had a similar unit, Bravo v2 and indeed was nice. Upgraded to the little dot 1+ and was well worth it.

To the original post...looks awesome. Agree with Skip most likely a good garage unit.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    I'm so far behind the curve of modern digital audio, that I'm afraid to say, that I don't have a clue what a DAC is. (heh heh)
    I don't own a cell phone, use an antenna to get my 18 broadcast tv stations and still talk on a 1963 rotary phone. (hey it still works)
    CD's were my last great leap into the audio world, not counting my homebuilt iHelmet motorcycle sound system.
    I still like opening up the CD box and manually placing it into the player.
    Long gone are the days that I'd take the time to actually look at album cover art while listening to vinyl, or using the double album covers to clean the seeds from an OZ.