subwoofage -- poised to be gettin' real :-)

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited October 2017 in Speakers
Finally -- with the help of my strong like bull son-in-law, I got my springtime acquisition, adventitious 2 x 15 inch (nominal) subwoofer upstairs.

38047648301_4927f0eb6a_b.jpgDSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
34211237723_4c0a931f26_b.jpgDSC_8306 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
34858131692_94b2a5e46d_b.jpgDSC_8309 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

My birthday present from my wife :) -- one of these.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250dsp-250w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-with-dsp--300-8010

9ncmkhpjzocl.png

Tomorrow, they may be (finally) hooked together.

Further details as events warrant. :)

37994004266_718a26873b_b.jpgDSC_9749 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Is it wireless ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    It's so cute...and little. o:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Holy shmokes...youre moving up in the world. First a DAC and now bass. Who built it? B)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2017
    I am not sure I can say -- it was a prototype. The company name with which it is associated is Eye-talian. Oh, I've said too much... the Italian helicopters are coming....

:)

No, seriously (other than the helicopters part), it was a prototype, from an Italian company of some repute, for which someone may have designed an amplifier/DSP. It is -- or should be -- functional, and is somewhat tuneable in that it contains two 8 ohm/8 ohm DVC drivers, one in the bottom, firing up into the sealed chamber, and the other... well you can see it, in the front.

The whap the cone with one's fingertips test suggests that the Fs of these drivers is very low.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Big pimpin! Gonna use it to knock the snow off your roof this winter I bet lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Looks good Doc
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    dang! that's cool Mark!
    Looking forward to hearing your reports.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    I sat it on the main beam under the room -- just in case.
  • pitdogg2
    Better have the wife try it out.... o:)
  • txcoastal1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

He-LL no, she'll take over the man cave
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2017
    you know she's "all about that bass"...

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yep2 wrote: »

He's prolly surfing the Web for Barry White vinyl as I type this.

I'll call you, Doc. Then you can just hook your phone up to the system and I'll hum her a tune. ;)
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »

I'll call you, Doc. Then you can just hook your phone up to the system and I'll hum her a tune. ;)

Doc's our friend you sicko, now go call slapaho
  • txcoastal1
    lightman1 wrote: »

You have a deep voice...but you ain't no Barry White

• mhardy6647
    aww, youse guyses...

;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2017
    Sworn to secrecy ;)
    (easy to guess, though -- one of those 'big names', which kind of narrows it down)

... actually, I am not sure if I can disclose its origin or not, but seems better to err on the side of circumspection.

Update:

It.
    Woofs.
    Oh, my, does it.
    Woof.
  • mhardy6647
    Dang. Where's a copy of that Telarc 1812 when I need one?

;)
  • mhardy6647
    I need to go to Home Despot & get some wood to build a little base for my plate amp.

I am not (yet, at any rate) up for cutting a hole into the subwoofer enclosure to install it -- plus I figure it'll be able to breathe more easily. It's one of those Class (whatever) high-efficiency amplifiers, but it's still subject to the Second Law of Thermodynamics (aren't we all?).

02ci8l9dbyfw.png
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Very NICE !!!!

I like woofers with textured surfaces. I think the bass sounds better for some reason.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    Very NICE !!!!

I like woofers with textured surfaces. I think the bass sounds better for some reason.

I'd say that's signature line material, but I also don't doubt you! ;)

I generally prefer drivers with cones made of paper, but I am OK with plastic-y ones in applications like this.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Mr H.
    You crack me up. They should rework the old saying to "Hardy Rigging".
    Is that an old CRT power cord? Nobody sells white anymore!
    The tension on your acoustic research RCA's makes me worried that your structural foam base might tip over.

All in jest :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    It's grey, thank you very much.
    I had a grey one on your Reduction too ;)
    (not even the same one)

I like to keep a - stockpile - of IEC cords, y'know? The Strategic Cord Stockpile.
    It's very strategic.

Yeah, I worry a little about that base too. I'm all about that base -- that's why I need to get to Home Despot!

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Very NICE !!!!

I'd say that's signature line material, but I also don't doubt you! ;)

I generally prefer drivers with cones made of paper, but I am OK with plastic-y ones in applications like this.

I've had some BIG older Kenwoods and Sansui's and Pioneer's too that have or had Paper cones and I like them too. That used to be considered the go-to design in the past. Even now some use a hybrid pulp designs.

My Newform Research RB685's ( ?) have Scan Speak heavily pulped 7" woofers and they sound awesome. But they're expensive. I guess you get what you pay for no matter what cone material is used. Even Infinity's Ceramic sandwich designed smooth woofers had a great sound.

Look up "Hartley" White Pulped woofers for a lesson on when a designer gets it RIGHT !!!
    Somebody is selling a pair now here in Wilm. for over 5K. But they have 24" and 10" woofers in each cabinet. And those woofers are NOT cheap and very rare !

I thought I would add the Craigs List ad for anybody interested in those classic Hartley white woofers. :p

They look B) .

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/hartley-concertmaster-vi-rare/6371806784.html
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    Altec paper cones here :)

37183971871_4ae625fcdd_b.jpgDSC_9570 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2017
    2.1 DOC YOU MUST BE CRAZY! SUBS DONT BELONG IN A TRUE 2 CHANNEL

b159310cccaa50f67653700ede7ec7c35e77adb7_hq.gif

NOO... THERE IS NO VALID EXPLANATION...

zED17.gif
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2017
    Look at the Fs of an Altec 604E some time ;)

Plus, don't forget -- there's an On/Off switch on the subwoofer plate amp.