lsim 705 magnetic grill does not stay on

It seems like the magnets are not in the right spot in a new lsim 705 I got today. Anyone else deal with this issue or have a simple solution?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I eventually just stuck pieces of adhesive Velcro on my 707s (cabinet and grilles only at the top) since I never remove the grilles on mine when they are in use.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Asking the obvious here just to rule it out, but you've got it oriented correctly and with the cutout resting on the Polk badge at the bottom, correct?
    I disabled signatures.
  • yes. the cutout is on the bottom. I was running the top of the grill down the top of the speaker to see where the magnet was. It seems a little low. same with the other speaker but that one seems to still mange to hold it. I have a pair from two years ago that work great.
  • Ok both of the grills are bent one I got bent back into shape. I'll have to talk to polk tomorrow to see about getting the grill replaced.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    ahhh, dang. does it stay in place better now?

They should be good about getting you replacements. One of the input plates on mine had a loose terminal. I managed to get it tightened (had some weird threadlocker on it) but they sent me a replacement anyway. I had to have grills replaced on two other speakers as well. Pretty easy. All you do is call, provide serial, and replacements will be on the way, no hassle, no fuss.

I was concerned about the grills myself, after hearing about this problem on the 707's. the grills are heavier than one would think they'd be. I can see how they might fall off. They seem to be okay as long as they're resting on the badge.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Out of the 2 pairs of 705's I had, all grills needed to be "tweaked" so they would stay on.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Out of the 2 pairs of 705's I had, all grills needed to be "tweaked" so they would stay on.
    Same on my 707's. It seems like when they fell off they would bend when they hit the floor so the problem became worse. Polk sent me new ones and one still had the problem so I gently flexed them back so they would seat better one the badge and I have had no problems since.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I just leave them off. They sound better that way.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • afterburnt
    I should do that but I dont like seeing the drivers.
  • afterburnt
    I took em off, they do sound better.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @afterburnt I heard a difference with them off also. Lucky for me, I do not have little ones at home to worry about.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Need help.

i have the same problem with my polk lsim 707. one grill do not stay in place. it his a refurbish but look new. very desapointed with that because all time gos down make dammages to the stand.
    very desapointed.
    i am from canada and polk not help me.
    he send new one but nopt resolved the problem. try to tweak the grill.
    but probably the badge create this issue the angle of the badge point to the down.
    Regards
    robert
  • Mine have never fallen off. B) I do see how they could though if the grills were warped.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Have 705s they fall off all the time. May try the velcro trick