SRS 2.3TL

Options
First post -- I have been reading the site for over a year. There are incredibly knowledgeable people on the site; very intimidating. I have a pair of SDA 2Bs (unmodified). I have an opportunity to buy a pair of SRS 2.3TLs. I would like to do all the necessary mods using the information available on this site. I figure that if I'm going to do all the mods it makes more sense to step up to the SRS 2.3s. Am I on the right track?

Best Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2.3TL's have the potential to be the last speaker you will ever buy once they are upgraded. I would not hesitate if you can get your hands on a pair.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ^ What he said ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The 2.3 tl's are probably one of Polk's best speakers they ever put out. Like John said, once upgraded, you'd be hard pressed to do better for the money. Grab 'em, update 'em, and enjoy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's

Answers

• pelhamplace
    pelhamplace Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can pick them up this weekend!!
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    My First post as well...Happened to check the local kijiji and came across a pair of SRS 2.3TL's for $200 Canadian...which is what about 160 USD!!. Had to replace a couple of the midrange drivers but what a steal easily the best speakers Ive ever had. No mods as of yet but a recap is in the future plans.
    Andrew
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Nikonboy wrote: »
    My First post as well...Happened to check the local kijiji and came across a pair of SRS 2.3TL's for $200 Canadian...which is what about 160 USD!!. Had to replace a couple of the midrange drivers but what a steal easily the best speakers Ive ever had. No mods as of yet but a recap is in the future plans.
    Andrew
    Kamloops, BC, Canada

Pictures or it didn't happen is the rule here
    Welcome to club Polk
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    I love mine. They are great speakers. Go get them.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    Andrew
    Kamloops, BC, Canada

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    What would be the first and least expensive mod to do ?
    Thanks in advance
    Andrew
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Reseal the cabinets if needed,glue the magnets and dynamat the baskets.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    Thank you dkfreebird!! Specifically which type of glue and are there any images on the site to follow.
    Cheers
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Loctite power grab and if you search 2.3tl upgrades you should see several posts on them.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    SDA's of this size are supposed to be 3 feet from the outside walls. Although I can't see much of the wall behind your gear and just how long it is, it would probably help a lot if you shifted things to the right a bit. Perhaps switching the right cabinet and the subwoofer.
  • Viking64
    Options
    I used Loctite brand PowerGrab Express as it can be used for both sealing the cabinets and gluing the driver magnets. Two tubes should be more than enough. You should get the 6oz squeeze tube as opposed to the 9oz tube that is used with a caulk gun because there are so many nooks and crannies you'll need to get inside the cabinet where a caulk gun won't fit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-6-fl-oz-Power-Grab-Express-All-Purpose-Construction-Adhesive-Squeeze-Tube-2029846/206432100
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    Yea unfortunatly this placement is temporary Im building an AV room upstairs in the attic but again won't have the space to do the 3 foot spacing from the walls and 6-8 feet between the speakers; the new AV room is 11X22. They still sound amazing as is but I will switch around the subwoofer and I am presently running a Yamaha M4 amp with an Anthem Tube Pre amp (PRE2L). I'll check the local home depot they should have that brand. Thanks to all for the information what a great resource.
    Andrew
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    a9040593nug5.jpg
    z1v0fq2bswpq.jpg
    From the images where exactly am I installing the glue?
    Andrew
  • Nikonboy
    Nikonboy Posts: 13
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    Ha Im have trouble loading images !!
  • dkfreebird
    edited November 2017
    Options
    n3coa6hd43mg.jpeg
    Where the magnet meets the metal.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• Viking64
    Options
    Ha Im have trouble loading images !!
    Yeah, the site was acting weird for a few minutes. I shopped one of your images but I couldn't upload it. :p
  • Nikonboy
    Options
    Thanks again guys its now of course obvious where the glue has to go...
    Andrew
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Dynamat extream the baskets while out.
    Rabbit is fully opened