PS Audio Trade-Up Program

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
Anyone try this??? http://www.psaudio.com/buying-options/trade-ups/ I did a test run, and it appears to give 90% trade-in allowance of original MSRP for trade pieces...not bad!
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I've looked at that a few times. I can only assume they are making that up in the heavy price they ask for their products. I own a Power Plant and like it and was interested in their new Direct Stream DAC and Memory player until I noticed the $12k price tag.
  • jdjohn
    I was looking at their Stellar Gain Cell DAC preamp myself, but with trade-in, I could probably afford the Stellar S300 power amp as well. I've got some B&K gear laying around to trade-in, and would get a lot more for it from them rather than selling on the secondary market...and a quicker 'sale'.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2017
    What about $800 for a one-meter power cord? Or $1200 for a two-meter power cord? There's one born every minute. *epic facepalm*
    Post edited by Viking64 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Viking64 wrote: »
    What about $800 for a one-meter power cord? Or $1200 for a two-meter power cord? There's one born every minute. *epic facepalm*

Don't knock it unless you've tried one. They absolutely make a difference, sometimes for the better and other times for the worse. Like speaker cables and interconnects, all have a flavor.

FYI, their power cords are far from the most expensive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I have four pieces of PS Audio gear -- seven if you count three PS Audio Bridges that I have for my three PS Audio DACs (I, II and DSD).

I've looked into PS Audio's "trade-up" program, and I have never elected to use it. The reason is that I have always found that I can buy new PS Audio equipment for at least a 30% discount from Internet providers.

This discount makes the trade up program more expensive than I'm willing to pay.

However, I realize that I also forego the trial and return policy of PS Audio, which is valuable if you are not sure you'll want to keep the gear.

I have not foregone the warranty on new PS Audio gear because my purchases have always been from authorized resellers. And, I have used the warranty coverage several times.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I've looked at that a few times. I can only assume they are making that up in the heavy price they ask for their products. I own a Power Plant and like it and was interested in their new Direct Stream DAC and Memory player until I noticed the $12k price tag.

If you don't mind used there is a great deal on the Audiogon right now for a black set. I have been eyeing it but don't think I feel like surfing any more gear for a bit.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I have a Perfectwave MkII DAC, and feel it to be a fantastic deal on the used market right now. Their gear is legit.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    PS Audio gear is legit. I've owned a phenomenal phono stage and DAC. The problem is that they severely price drop their gear randomly which devalues the whole brand. And makes it tough to pay MSRP.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Viking64
    F1nut wrote: »
    Don't knock it unless you've tried one. They absolutely make a difference, sometimes for the better and other times for the worse. Like speaker cables and interconnects, all have a flavor.

What exactly do they do that improves sound?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084

FWIW, I have purchased 2 - 2 meter PS Audio AC-12 power cords through a cat that goes by the name WesternWoods. Brand NIB, never been used ....
    I was suspicious at his low prices, so I boxed one up and sent it to the PSA factory and they confirmed it was legit! They sent it back with paperwork confirming it’s authenticity
    I’m very pleased with their performance vs $$ spent
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • jdjohn
    edited October 2017
    I have an old PS Audio Delta 100 power amp in my stable, and it is my first backup after my McCormack DNA-125, so in good company. I also have the PSA Plasma power cord, which is 'technically' made for HDTV, but works just great with my DNA-125. I like the 90-degree wall plug on the Plasma cord, and it's cheaper than their dedicated audio power cords.

Behind my McCormack and PS Audio amps, a B&K EX-442 is next for me. On the used market, I might get $400-500 for it...if I'm lucky...possibly taking months to sell. The PSA trade-up program would give me $900 credit for it since the MSRP on the EX-442 when new was $1,000. I kinda like the thought of a $900 credit on brand-new PSA gear. The icing on the cake is a B&K PT5 preamp that I have to go along with it, which should net another $300-400 store credit...hopefully.

EDIT: My research indicates the used gear which PSA gets is re-sold by TheMusicRoom (tmraudio.com) on eBay, other online auction sites, and directly from their website. They have some very nice used gear for sale there.
  • kharp1
    Check Underwood Hifi...Got an email showing them running some specials on the 300 and Stellar...along with some other pretty good deals.
  • jdjohn
    Thanks for the link! Looks like they are participating in the trade-in program as well...very nice.

Wow...huge discount on an internet-controlled power conditioner, the PowerPlay 8500
    http://www.underwoodhifi.com/specials
  • kharp1
    Also running the Power Plant 10 for $2999, which is 2k off, never see them that cheap.
  • F1nut

What exactly do they do that improves sound?

They can lower the noise floor resulting in greater clarity and unrestricted current flow resulting in improved bass.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    ....and not just improved bass, the whole audio spectrum improves when you eliminate noise, and deliver cleaner current.

Some work better than others, lots of variables to consider, but as with all types of cables, your best staying within a bracket that's aligned with the quality of gear you have. In other words, don't expect miracles from a 500 buck power cord on a 100 buck cdp. Not that anyone would actually do that, but my point is a valid one.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I like PSAudio, just be careful of the overhype sometimes.

P10 for $2999 is a screaming price. Just goes to show you how much profit they really have on their products. I think a P20 is coming out.

I have a P5... I think it's pretty decent.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Viking64
    They can lower the noise floor resulting in greater clarity and unrestricted current flow resulting in improved bass.
    I see the logic in that. Particularly when used in a high-current power amp. It would make perfect sense that a beefier cable would have a noticeable difference over a standard UPS cable (is "UPS cable" redundant?). But the images from that site are all the same for all three grades of cable. Is it safe to assume that the differences in the three are related to wire gauge? If so, that opens up a whole bunch of other issues regarding house wiring, voltage drops, etc. Perhaps those are resolved with a good power conditioner?

I think it's safe to say that there would be a minimal improvement between the $199 cable and the $1,999 cable to most people's ears (certainly mine), particularly when used with less power-hungry gear, as Tony suggests above. Still, if I had 6 figures to spend on a sweet 2-channel system, an extra 5 grand on power cables wouldn't phase (pun intended) me in the least bit. :p
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    ^^ you have to understand that even though it may only be a minimal improvement, if you have 5 pieces of gear, and upgrade 5 power cables, the cumulative effect would be a lot larger. I do think there is a point of diminishing returns with power cables, but I don’t think it’s 200 dollars. In my system power cables made the soundstage larger and deeper, with better bass, not to mention greater clarity of the soundstage/less smearing.

I think there is huge value in DIY power cables, this is the direction I went, although I spent 400$ on materials, the value would easily equal a 1000$ manufactured cable.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    I see the logic in that. Particularly when used in a high-current power amp. It would make perfect sense that a beefier cable would have a noticeable difference over a standard UPS cable (is "UPS cable" redundant?). But the images from that site are all the same for all three grades of cable. Is it safe to assume that the differences in the three are related to wire gauge? If so, that opens up a whole bunch of other issues regarding house wiring, voltage drops, etc. Perhaps those are resolved with a good power conditioner?

I think it's safe to say that there would be a minimal improvement between the $199 cable and the $1,999 cable to most people's ears (certainly mine), particularly when used with less power-hungry gear, as Tony suggests above. Still, if I had 6 figures to spend on a sweet 2-channel system, an extra 5 grand on power cables wouldn't phase (pun intended) me in the least bit. :p

Someone screwed up those pictures. Here's a better one showing the differences.

p3iaket06io2.jpg

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    ^^ you have to understand that even though it may only be a minimal improvement, if you have 5 pieces of gear, and upgrade 5 power cables, the cumulative effect would be a lot larger. I do think there is a point of diminishing returns with power cables, but I don’t think it’s 200 dollars. In my system power cables made the soundstage larger and deeper, with better bass, not to mention greater clarity of the soundstage/less smearing.

I think there is huge value in DIY power cables, this is the direction I went, although I spent 400$ on materials, the value would easily equal a 1000$ manufactured cable.

I see your point. I have made a number (50+) over the years for various applications, and they tend to cost relatively little, depending on the type of male/female connectors. Mostly 12 or 14 gauge neoprene with Edison (120v w/ground) terminals.

I imagine that there are better grades of copper suited for audio, as well as connections. Maybe my own experience has affected my view on the subject. Heck-fire, Uncle Jed, I wouldn't DREAM of trying to paint an expensive car, but to some, it's a cakewalk.
  • F1nut
    As for stratospheric pricing, check this out.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/ac-cables-elrod-power-systems-statement-gold-x2-7ft-power-cords-2017-11-01-power

I've never tried one and have no plans to either. Do I find the price insane? Yes, but obviously some don't and it's their money.

President of Club Polk

• Viking64

Someone screwed up those pictures. Here's a better one showing the differences.
    Okay, thanks. I can see the difference and can only imagine the cost per foot!
  • Viking64
    As for stratospheric pricing, check this out.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/ac-cables-elrod-power-systems-statement-gold-x2-7ft-power-cords-2017-11-01-power

I've never tried one and have no plans to either. Do I find the price insane? Yes, but obviously some don't and it's their money.

HOLY SHEEP....SKIN!!!! If I didn't find electrical work so tedious, I would start an online business tomorrow. HAHAHAHAHA
  • F1nut
    One might think that those Elrod power cords would have much better terminations like these PS Audio cords. I sure as heck do.

qd1ibyq2pznd.jpg

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    One might think that those Elrod power cords would have much better terminations like these PS Audio cords. I sure as heck do.
    I agree. There's a noticeable level of quality in those PS cords over the Elrods. Shite, if you are going to make a statement, be articulate! :p

Even back in the 80's, "hospital grade" terminals and receptacles commanded a premium price, several times greater than standard grade, that would make even the most spendthrift customer do a double-take. And any deviation away from typical connectors made prices shoot skyward. I can't wait to start looking into this further and try to fashion a few for myself at today's prices.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Interesting program...
    Never knew it existed. Have my Anthem MRX receiver collecting dust and if it could get me up too $900 towards another ps audio product seems like a no brainer.
    I shall take a stab at this tomorrow and see how I fair.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • kharp1
    I'll admit I'm very curious about the Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Pre, would love for one of you guys to take the leap and let us know what you think.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    If the program is as what it says it is, then i may try it out...MAY.
    The Delta 100 needs something to push it and with my MRX being out of date/not being used, i've been looking to unload it.

It looks like you can only trade in a max of $1,800 per purchase.

It's too bad PSA's website stinks like hot garbage. The "Trade In" button only brings you to checkout without the ability to enter your trade in info.
    The site keeps locking up on Chrome and IE.
    When the site does load, i'm only seeing text minus pictures.
    I will now wait until i get home...again...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • jdjohn
    I may try it as well. There is a 30-day trial period for trying the new product and/or before shipping the trade-in gear is required. My main concern is if they 'disagree' with the MSRP that we, the buyers, submit for trade-in value. Of course the trade-in gear has to be in working order as well...that should be a given, but worth stating.

I'm considering the Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre and S300 power amp. They have a combo deal which saves off the top, and with the trade-in, the net cost gets pretty reasonable. These would be put up against my Peachtree novaPre and McCormack DNA-125 for comparison. The novaPre and DNA-125 would NOT be traded-in...no, no. My PT only has one pair of analog inputs, though, thus my reason for searching. I'm considering getting a tuner, so need another pair of RCA jacks. And I want a pre with a DAC (like the PT) for my Logitech SB Touch, so the PSA Stellar Gain DAC/pre fits the bill nicely.

But besides the DAC/pre, comparing the power amps has me intrigued. It would be interesting to see how the newest class D technology compares to A/B. Actually, PSA says that the S300 has a class A MOFSET input stage - their Analog Cell - and then class D output stage. I would also be switching to balanced interconnects with the PSA pair of products.