Dreadnought vs AI-1. 800va vs 1000va

What is the purpose,or function,of the dreadnought ? I also see different builds,with either a 800va,or a 1000va transformer,why is that ? I need to either build one,or purchase a built one. Is the original AI-1 any good ?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Wrong section.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I'll take it if F1 passes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2017
    bassfann wrote: »
    What is the purpose,or function,of the dreadnought ? I also see different builds,with either a 800va,or a 1000va transformer,why is that ? I need to either build one,or purchase a built one. Is the original AI-1 any good ?

You have been around since 2008, get your search on and read there is a VERY detailed account of the questions you aspire to have answered.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What's the deal with commas supposedly making a space between words unnecessary??? :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2017
    Viking64 wrote: »
    What's the deal with commas supposedly making a space between words unnecessary??? :p

He's winking at you ;)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Get your read on. Pictures devoured by the beast called fotobuckit.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/951110#Comment_951110
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • bassfann
    bassfann Posts: 151
    agfrost wrote: »
    Get your read on. Pictures devoured by the beast called fotobuckit.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/951110#Comment_951110

Thanks.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You have been around since 2008, get your search on and read there is a VERY detailed account of the questions you aspire to have answered.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

My being around since 2008,is irrelevant.
  • Viking64
    My being around since 2008,is irrelevant.

That,may,well,be,true.
  • Viking64
    Oh....and: In with 73.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    I think it has something to do with not frying your non-common ground amp, but I haven't been around long enough to confirm that hypothesis.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    F1nut wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    I'll take it if F1 passes.

I,passed,GO,and,collected,$200.00.

And,I,stayed,at,a,Holiday,inn,last,nite,so,what’s,your,point,sir...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    That,image,looks,like,Pacino,playing,Travolta,playing,a,lawyer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Isn'''t,that,Rocky,Montana?
  • Viking64
    At first I thought "Dreadnaught" was a reggae version of Black Sabbath's "Supernaut".
  • bassfann
    I wasn't aware that this group was filled with children. I guess I shouldn't ask questions.
  • Viking64
    edited October 2017
    I,wasn't,aware,that,this,group,was,filled,with,children. I,guess,I,shouldn't,ask,questions.

Butt-hurt detected.
  • Viking64
    I wasn't aware that this group was filled with children. I guess I shouldn't ask questions.

Butt,hurt,detected.

*fixed
  • bassfann

Butt,hurt,detected.

*fixed
    I,wasn't,aware,that,this,group,was,filled,with,children. I,guess,I,shouldn't,ask,questions.

Butt-hurt detected.

Yes..........it hurt my feelings ! I asked a question,and only one person steered me in the right direction. I thought we were here to have discussions about audio. I don't mind banter and ball busting,but you could still answer the question.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The 800v and 1000v is definitely an upgrade over the A-1
    800v you can by direct with no special. You could wait a year or more for a 1000v on a group by

IMHO...go with an 800v
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a