Home Theater

halen
halen Posts: 675
So. I have also been trying to balance out my audio setups. I have also been working on my Theater room. Went with all def techs. Haven't installed yet. It is a complete Atmos/ DTS setup. Looking to complete my Theater with a Sony 4K projector. My screen is a 2.35/2.37 acoustically transparent screen.

a5slb7oao6hg.jpg
yg8sksgc5d89.jpg
91js37bhktvv.jpg
5w67pknmyre5.jpg

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Halen,

That looks like a system Disney movies will sound great on :smile:

From one father to another.

Regards
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halen
    Enders,

It will be a Disney thing. Gawd. My daughter rulz me.
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    halen wrote: »
    Enders,

It will be a Disney thing. Gawd. My daughter rulz me.

Hey man, I find myself singing along to the Moana song every now and again :smile:

Plus your playing the long game. Getting them hooked now to movies and music means easier to justify the upgrades later on to add to "Daddy and Daughter" time.

Example: My daughter asked to go on a "Daddy date" on Saturday. You want to know what she SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED we do? Go to my buddys local Vintage Hi-Fi shop to listen to different songs she liked on his gear.

We blew through some Baby Advents, Advents, Cerwin Vegas, Boston Acoustics and other speakers, combining them with some older JVC/Pioneer, Kenwood AVR's for like 2 hours.

If her room was a little bigger I honestly would have walked out of there with some Baby Advent Speakers, and a JVC integrated and then ran to BB to buy her a Chromecast or something else to play from :).

She also liked talking to my buddys girlfried and petting the shop cat Callie :smile:

Then of course we had to get a smiley faced IHOP Pancake and some DQ after running errands for mommy.

But back to the point, I'm also playing the long game hoping her love of music and movies continues to be "our thing" so it pays dividends later on :smile:

So much so, I'm debating running a dedicated outlet off my last open breaker to my loft and then having @lightman1 do the physical connections at the breaker panel next time he's around (because power scares me silly)

But yeah, its all good, and I dont mind seeing Pac-Man or Moana, or Boss Baby playing on my HT system. I much prefer our Jam Sessions, but again, its "our thing".

I'm sure you and your daughter have a similar thing going on :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halen
    mrloren wrote: »
    guys it doesn't stop with just movies and music.

When my kids were young we did watch a lot of the Disney stuff but I liked my Star Trek and Star Wars, Now my daughter is an Aerospace Engineer making more than I do. Toss in some SyFi when you can, might just pay off.

True all around. That is awesome to know. I still have a long journey.

Cheers
  • EndersShadow
    mrloren wrote: »
    guys it doesn't stop with just movies and music.

When my kids were young we did watch a lot of the Disney stuff but I liked my Star Trek and Star Wars, Now my daughter is an Aerospace Engineer making more than I do. Toss in some SyFi when you can, might just pay off.

Hehehehe... SciFi you say....

https://youtu.be/Vew0SAnHvC0
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    Halen which screen did you opt for?
  • halen
    I originally had the Cinemaweave or something like that to go with my SMX frame. Got rid of the screen and went with Seymour 4k. Will have to look back to remember.. I like Seymour screens.

Halen
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    My good buddy Chris Seymour thanks you for the business! And I fully support your decision!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halen
    Well, that makes you my new best friend! Haha. Last I checked, he sells his own frames as well now. Been thinking about upgrading from my current 130 inch 2.37 30 degree curved screen to around 150 with a 40 degree curve. My memory may be misplaced but his frame and screen system uses the o ring fasteners. Much faster and easier to setup. Also don't remember if his frame is acoustically dead or not. My SMX has virtually zero resonance.

Or I could try and just source some materials and build my own curved frame as a DIY. I have a feeling that sourcing the materials is the easy part. It's the purchasing of tools that I need to justify. Ha

halen
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    He does both...acoustically inert and acoustically transparent...
    If you haven’t, reach out to Chris on the AVSForum...he might even end up giving you his cell. Hehe
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    He does both...acoustically inert and acoustically transparent...
    If you haven’t, reach out to Chris on the AVSForum...he might even end up giving you his cell. Hehe

Does that cell come with it's own Bubba? Halen's scared of Bubba
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halen
    Halen no likey bubba.. haha

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2017
    zzcyihs45fas.jpg
    k6hymwf407db.jpg
    5r4h462zg4n6.jpg
    The UIW RLS II's I have used many times. I've done some crazy killer theaters with them. They sound remarkably amazing with the right power behind them.
    I love Def Tech speakers I think they are the very best bang for your buck out there bare none.
    I also use them all the way around as surrounds and surround back in my spec's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    yll30tl0s3y5.jpg
    9c91f1b20lsj.jpg
    wt458tswzxhu.jpg
    z4kjvlf8ckzl.jpg
    hbb5n3iem327.jpg
    43t4xdvbiijv.jpg
    laam82tiinkc.jpg
    q3c48pt63wpp.jpg
    qkkhqr1dk7pr.jpg
    gefzregziw9b.jpg
    e9a1lf3r3bs0.jpg
    1s68mtoc90v5.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    1tk13244rnsp.jpg
    70yebuixwqos.jpg
    x6xjgcg04267.jpg
    7gxqe7ms42wx.jpg
    2wtb02ulzv68.jpg
    Dan
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That looks awesome Dan! Will u build me one lol?

Quick question, maybe silly, but if the LCRs are all behind the screen, then why horizontally mount the center? Aren’t they the same speakers?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    That looks awesome Dan! Will u build me one lol?

Quick question, maybe silly, but if the LCRs are all behind the screen, then why horizontally mount the center? Aren’t they the same speakers?
    Sure, it will cost you but it will be awesome. This one is from Years ago before Atmos. It's a killer 9.2 system. I used 2 sets of Surrounds one per row of seats. This really gives an incredible effect for surround information.
    The Electronics where a Integra Preamp and Blu ray player, NAD amps and a Apple TV. If I remember correctly it was Verizon Fios for cable service. 2 Def Tech In wall subs which are monstrous for unwell design. JVC No Slider for 2:35 and 16:9 screen ratios. It has it built in. Many companies do that now so you don't need the slider lens.
    All cables as most of you already know are all Audioquest.

As far as speaker position of the center channel. I like it Horizontal for that duty. It seems to cover more area that way instead of just being vertical. I'm sure some of that might be in my mind, surely not an esthetic thing as yes it's behind the Micro Perf Screen.
    I run Audyssey first then evaluate the Listening conditions in the room. This room had some nice acoustics. Very well balanced sounding theater.
    Dan
  • halen
    Yeah I am a fan of def tech in walls. I do wonder how the in wall subs perform. I don't need monstrous bass, just do its job well. During the building phase of my house, I had them wire everything according to my spec for the theater room. I did not account for in wall subs because I haven't experienced it yet.

Matter of fact, I have not touched anything in that room since I posted the pics. Still need to get projector first, before I cut any walls or hang the screen. Only thing that has changed is my daughter throwing my 4k movies everywhere.