Home Theater Projectors/Screens

Hey Everyone

Been a while since I've been on the forum.

Any projector aficionados still around?

Comments

• Nice timing. I was about to ask if anyone had recommendations for AT screens for 4K.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Yeah. I am a fan. Question away. AT screens as well. But.. if you are truly.theater than let's talk 2.37 or so.

Shoot away.
  • Shoot. Did I hijack a post?
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    Hijack away. All info is useful!

I have a 60 inch Pioneer Elite Kuro that I'm still happy with. But I have a big room, and I'd kinda like to fill it more. I could just go for a much larger tv, but it may be logistically impossible being that I'd have to get it upstairs. Might be too tight.
    Optoma recently came out with a "4k" projector that is within my price range. But I'd like to actually see one and compare it to 1080p projectors before committing. Why commit $2,500 to a 4k projector if I don't see a dramatic difference betwee it and a less expensive 1080p projector, right? I looked at a Sony 4k projector at the local Best Buy, but the conditions were less than optimal.
  • LeftCoast
    To those who have had both, do you see a huge difference?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    As it is for me, with a 1080 projector at 78” and a 12' viewing distance, I can make out the individual pixels (also how I determine if it's in focus after the cats sit on it). I'd like to go to at least 100" but then the pixels will be quite noticeable. A 4k should allow up to at least 150" at the same viewing distance before it gets bad.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I have a BenQ HD w1070 projector and an Elite Screens 120" fixed frame screen. Around a 15' viewing distance.

I previously had a FAVI 100" roll down screen (but my lovely child put a hole in it, so I used that moment to upgrade to a bigger screen :) )

I will say that with the increase in screen size I occasionally notice slightly less definition, but basically only with the sports ticker at the bottom of the screen and sometimes with random content from Dish, but not sure if that is the screen or the processing. But boy is it worth it for the AMAZING way that the 120 draws me into everything else. And I never notice a drop in VQ with movies or most content for that matter.

Side note...
    With the roll-down screen, the sides would curl in slightly. It never affected the picture much, but I definitely knew it was there. Also, the black "paint" would kill some of the over-shoot, but for sure not all. Plus, I always thought the motorized drop-down option would be a cool wow-factor, but in reality...I just left it down all the time.

The fixed frame is amazing and I would never go back. Little bit of a PITA to put together, but you get a tight screen all the way around and there is a "velvet" border that eats virtually all of the overshoot. It's amazing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Let me start with screen-size first. If it were me....
    If you decide to commit to the projector route, buy the projector first. No screen. Shoot on the wall for a week. Zoom in and out and decide what picture size is comfortable and then go on the high end of that range.

I did that and ended up purchasing a 100" because anything bigger felt to difficult to watch. Within a month I regretted it and wanted bigger. Now the 120" makes me so much happier.
    As for projectors, I am no expert here...
    Unless you are no holds barred budget free and videophile extreme...I think it is too early for a 4k projector.(There may be absolute valid arguments against my opinion)
    However, there is still not a lot of content out there. And even then, you have to be 4k from source to screen. Content, source, receiver, projector, screen.

I'm not saying don't do it...I'm just saying when you upgrade components in 5 years the content will be far more affordable, and content available.

I've seen 4k vs 1080 in a commercial projector environment (225" screen) and it wasn't enough for me to justify the extreme additional cost. (I know that situation is different from your home, but I think it would confirm it even more)
    Anyways, sorry for the long ramble....hope it helps some.

And again, I am definitely not an expert...I've never dabbled in the high end of projector-ville, but am really enjoying my set-up right now.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • LeftCoast
    Long ramble absolutely helps. Basically the 4k I've taken a look at cost $2,500. So my question is would I be reasonably happy with a nice 1080p projector for...say $1,000 to $1,200? Then keep that for the next 5 years or so and see wht the prices are for the 4k projectors in 5 years or until the current projector craps out?

You're right. I'd have to upgrade to a new receiver and other gear, but I saw saw a Denon at Accessories4Less at around $1,100. The oppo 4d player is going for less than $500 and also plays blu rays and dvds.

I've talked to a couple of installers and they are pushing Stewart Screens and/or Screen Innovations. Again, don't know that the difference in price for those screens would justify their cost.
  • LeftCoast
    FestYboy the Optoma is supposed to be able to produce up to a 200 inch image. I'm thinking 120 inch for me. Also has to be acoustically transparent since a screen that big would pretty much need to have speakers set up behind it to correctly place a large multi speaker set up.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    IMO you would be more than reasonably happy with a 1080p in your price range. I think you would be giddy. And you can use the savings for an upgrade in other gear (speakers etc...) or just save that money.

Speaking with the A/V installers at work (I work at a large convention facility) they say that value vs results its too early to buy into 4k.

Plus, we're kind of waiting for streaming to work itself out. My assumption is that in 5 years, HD and even 4k streaming will be the norm, so why invest in 4k physical media now only to have a bunch of 4k blurays to sell for pennies in a few years.

Take all of this with grains of salt. I'm sure if I saw a 4k setup fully legit, I would be blown away.

But I just watched War For The Planet Of The Apes the other night on my setup and it was spectacular.

(my projector was $750 three years ago and around $500 now. For $1,000+ I'm guessing you could do really well....just do a lot of research....read a lot of reviews...)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • FestYboy
    Cool thing @LeftCoast, the Sony 4k player i have does dual output... No need for the AVR to have 4k pass through. So things can be procured as needed/wanted. Or if you go Oppo, , an HDMI splitter should do the trick. And I've been looking at the same projector as you... Need to save a few more pennies first. :#
  • LeftCoast
    FestYboy. I'm good at taking my time until I realize, "Hey! The unit I wanted has come down in price!" lol

Btw, the oppo can be had for less than $400 now. Also, holiday sales are right around the corner.....
  • LeftCoast
    edited October 2017
    hochpt21 Thanks! Just the sort of clarity I'm looking for.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • It sounds like you want to go with a 4K AT screen, just like I do. I'm considering starting with a 1080p projector and keeping the AT screen. Silver Ticket seems to have the best bang for the buck and I'll likely start with a screen from them.
  • halen
    It is very true that a quality 1080p projector equals and at times outperforms the entry Sony 4k projector. I found certain JVC models with the eshift to have equal or better blacks and saturation than the entry Sony 4k model. Then again, JVC are plagued with quality issues. The new Optoma projectors are promising, using the TI chip. I say promising because it brings the price tag of 4k projectors down. In essence it is still not true 4k but it does have double the pixel density of the Epson and JVC pixel shift techs.

Another thing to look for is content. On a larger screen, you will easlity notice the difference between well recorded anf upconverted videos. For instance, native 4k movies are easily distinguished against the upconvert 4Ks, same applies to Blu-ray.

I only watch 2.37 content on my projector, any other format I watch on TV instead. You could use lens zoom to fit or get a panamorph lens. The panamorph lens will get you the best quality and not waste any pixels. Then there are prisms. Lots of trial and error with those, but works great if you get it right.

It is still too early for me to post, I still need another 30 beers before things begin to make sense.

Cheers!!

halen
  • Only thirty? Pffffftt! Lightweight.
  • halen
    Haha. Let me clarify. 30 before things begin to make sense. Add in Rum, Crown, and another 10 beers. I have the answers to everything this side of the cosmos.
  • LeftCoast
    Polkster Yes, definitely after an acoustically transparent screen. I'll check out the Silver Ticket, thanks!

I'm starting to feel like the more important investment that will stay around longer is the screen. The projectors will change more rapidly. Thoughts?
  • LeftCoast
    Elite Screens has a price discount on certain screens on Amazon. Maybe the Spectrum series?
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I have a Silver Ticket screen. When I was researching fixed frame screens, the Silver Ticket and Elite Screens were darn near identical. It's just a matter of what's cheaper at the time of purchase. When I bought, it happened to be the Silver Ticket. Either choice, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality for the low price.

BTW, mine is NOT AT, so I can't comment on that material, but what I have is quite impressive. I'm projecting with an Epson 8350 (1080p), and have been very pleased with it since we purchased it about 5 years ago. I agree with Paul (hochpt21) in that I like to wait until prices come down and there's more content to justify bumping up in pixel density. For me, that means anther 3-5 years before I consider going to 4k.
  • LeftCoast
    Thanks, scubalab. And my room really doesn't have any issues with light. It's just that those black or dark screen are really eye popping. I most likely will go the less expensive route with an Elite or Silver Ticket screen and a projector that is no more than a grand. That should keep me amused for quite a while.

Thanks especially for the comments on Elite vs Silver Ticket.
  • scubalab
    Here's a couple pics of my Silver Ticket Screen. Apologize for the poor pictures, but it'll give you an idea of how they look. This one was right after I mounted the screen:

4s2fyzcibw09.jpg

And this is after the SVS was replaced with the DIY built-in subs:

7h4cpb0u0f68.jpg

When the room is dark, the picture is quite impressive, but the pictures above were taken with lights on. The velvet covered heavy duty frame on these screens is very nice at killing any picture overspill.

Our screen is 92".

Best of luck LeftCoast, and enjoy the build!
  • FestYboy
    Scuba, have you thought about blacking out the ceiling above the screen to reduce glare? Seeing the first pic made me think of it.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    I still think 4k projectors are in their infancy. I'd get a $1200 refurb Epson 5030UB for now and get a good screen. Upgrade the projector later. 1080p still looks great to me on a 100" screen at 12' away.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • billbillw Just by coincidence, that is the projector I'm considering.
  • scubalab
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Scuba, have you thought about blacking out the ceiling above the screen to reduce glare? Seeing the first pic made me think of it.

I did not, but that's a good idea. Honestly, we normally watch at night with no ambient light. Never really paid attention to glare on the ceiling, but now you're going to have me looking for it... DANG IT! LOL

LC - Epson has fantastic customer service. I bought my PJ new from Best Buy, I believe. Epson replaced my lamp twice, and replaced the projector once (much of it was after the warranty expired) at no cost to me since I wasn't quite getting the rated life out of the OEM lamps. I really wasn't expecting that, but they were great.