Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I love the look of the Denon's
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I don't really think it sounds any better than the technics but I like the look better. The technics are tanks though with light servicing they still work well after 30/40 years.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited October 2017
    The Denons were nice tts. JVC made/sold some nice DD decks in the late 1970s, too.
    I had a friend in grad school days with a JVC deck, SME arm, Grado cartridge, a Yamaha CA-810 integrated ampliflier -- and a pair of Polk Monitor 10As.

Nice hifi of the day.

EDIT: I think the deck he had was the armless variant of the QL-5.
    Borrowed photo of one (with, it appears, JVC branded arm). I don't know who might have
    actually made the deck or the arm (maybe JVC, but very probably not?).

u2lgx6k6r98b.png
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I purchased the armless Denon DP-75 back in the day and had a SME arm with it, loved that combo, sold it when I went back to school, big mistake. Now its worth a king's ransom. I currently have the Denon DP-72L shown in my avatar, which I purchased without the arm. I initially put a Grace 707 arm on it, but went to a Jelco 750. Very nice table and arm. There is a lot to be said for upgrading the arm on many TT's.

Your buddy had a very nice system. Those vintage Yamaha receivers and integrated amps still hold up well indeed to much of the modern gear. I just did a review of Skip's phono preamp that is touring, with a Yamaha CR-800, and it sounded fantastic.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    as you know, I remain a bit of a Yamaha fanboy (DHT SET amps and studio monitor/theatre horns notwithstanding) ;)

• soundfreak1
    I'd love to own one of those 60/70 series denons but they scare the heck out of me, the electronicly operated arm's are a great idea but serviceability and parts availability just scares me considering the purchase prices they get! Would also but one of the "flying saucer" models and add a good arm but again the purchase pricing is insane and approaches and even surpasses the cost of tables like vpi, Oracle ect.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Cool TT's folks.. :)
  • dromunds
    Soundfreak, if you ever run across a reasonably priced 60/70 series just take off the arm (and make a new armboard if you have to) and put on a different arm. That eliminates all the problems with the electronically operated arm and the arms were the weak link soundwise in those tables anyway, not that they were bad. I know the prices of used Denons have gone up considerably since I bought mine several years ago and that is a problem these days. Then adding the cost of an arm can be pricey but the Jelco 750 can be had on sale quite reasonably and is a real giant killer arm. However, there is nothing wrong with the Denon you have, and as long as it works I'd stick with it. Its a beauty to boot!
  • soundfreak1
    edited October 2017
    If the jelco is a large upgrade could it be mated to the 1200 table? Just courious.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • dromunds
    Don't know the answer off the top of my head, you'll have to do some google research and see what people say or try to get ahold of a Jelco dealer by email. I think I got mine from the Canadian dealer but I'd have to look later tonight to see what his contact info is. I will try to do that when I get home.
  • soundfreak1
    Just curious. I have reached the point with my system where as my best friend calls it (B.O.A.T. "break out another thousand") I can't do nuttin for less than a thousand in some cases a lot more! Not that I'm unhappy mind you, I have reached a point I thought I would never reach especially considering the cash invested! But....... it a sickness!
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable