Where to get The best FLAC downloads...

Now that I have a great DAC for digital music, where are good sources for downloading them? I am looking to grab as many of the lp’s (Classic rock, easy listening, old school county ) as I can find, with the end goal being to eliminate my turntable and go completely digital by the time people start getting their tax returns back.

I am finding I am able to enjoy my system more often without the constraints placed upon my time by physical media. That and the 20k plus tied up in gear could go towards other things I enjoy, like a college fund for my son....
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Rip your own CDs, get an Oppo 103 along with DK's instructions and rip SACDs, get an analog to digital converter and rip your albums, go to HDTracks, Super Hi-Res, Onkyo, at other sites, and download what they offer and you also want.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I only have a dozen SACDs so not much of an issue there. I will be keeping my Oppo for movies. Most, if not all, of the 600or so LP’s I have are available on cd, so I should be able to find FLAC downloads for these. I have another 100 or so cds to rip, and those I will do myself.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I use HDTracks from time to time. I run an Oppo 103 with attached usb external HDD, and my benchmark DAC2.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2017
    It's SOOOO much cheaper to just by the CD (especially used) and rip it on your computer. I rip em and put em in storage. If anything ever happens I've got a hard copy.

Now, if iTunes or amazon offered cd quality flac downloads at the same price as the current MP3 downloads, I would be tempted. But honestly, with TiDAL I don't purchase much music anymore. I have done the math, and at $20 a month, it would take me something like 30-40 years to build a 5000 album collection...so its tidal for me!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Tidal for me as well. I still buy lots of vinyl, but cds are dead to me. I plan to burn all cds to a hard drive and run them off my Aries. Any music I can’t get on tidal, or buy on vinyl I will purchase CDs and burn them. The flac downloads are expensive! I can get new cds for under 10 bucks and have a hard copy as mentioned by rooftop. I will be keeping my CD player just in case.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The flac downloads are expensive!

Yes, they are. I buy the occasional FLAC download from HDtracks when they have a 20% off sale. This knocks the price down from $17.98 to $14.38. I also only buy hi-rez downloads. It doesn't make sense to pay $14 to $18 for a 44.1K/16 bit download when redbook CDs are under $10.
    I am finding I am able to enjoy my system more often without the constraints placed upon my time by physical media. That and the 20k plus tied up in gear could go towards other things I enjoy, like a college fund for my son....

Since February 2017, my turntable has been residing in a closet and I don't miss it one bit. I can envision selling it sometime next year...after I'm sure there are no classic vinyl jazz masterpieces that I overlooked.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    It's SOOOO much cheaper to just by the CD (especially used) and rip it on your computer. I rip em and put em in storage. If anything ever happens I've got a hard copy.

Now, if iTunes or amazon offered cd quality flac downloads at the same price as the current MP3 downloads, I would be tempted. But honestly, with TiDAL I don't purchase much music anymore. I have done the math, and at $20 a month, it would take me something like 30-40 years to build a 5000 album collection...so its tidal for me!

Quite often, Amazon sells the CD for less than the mp3 version, and then includes the mp3s for free. Win-win. You get access right away and then rip to flac a few days later.
  • rooftop59
    YEP! I do that as well. Look at what’s on sale for under $10. Often get good stuff for 7-8 bucks. Who need a flac download???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • BlueFox
    When I think of 'FLAC download' I think of better than CD quality. The newer stuff especially is digitally recorded at higher than CD rates. I bought Marilyn Manson's The Pale Emperor CD, and ripped it. Later HDTracks offered it at 44/24. I was amazed how much better that was than the 44/16 rip.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    BlueFox wrote: »
    When I think of 'FLAC download' I think of better than CD quality. The newer stuff especially is digitally recorded at higher than CD rates. I bought Marilyn Manson's The Pale Emperor CD, and ripped it. Later HDTracks offered it at 44/24. I was amazed how much better that was than the 44/16 rip.

Ah, well I guess that's understandable. I tend to think that MP3 as compressed or "lossy" file, and FLAC as a compressed yet "lossless" file. So whatever the original file, with FLAC that is what you get. Obviously that can be hi-rez, but since most of us who have gone digital rip our CDs to FLAC files, that is what comes to mind at first to me.

So I think:

1. Hi-REZ
    2. FLAC (CD quality)
    3. MP3

1 and 2 are both lossless and can both be FLAC files right?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • BlueFox
    Yes, 1 and 2 are lossless, and, I believe, FLAC can also be done as a lossy rip, depending upon the setting.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Technically, they're all lossless vs analog... ;)
  • rooftop59
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Technically, they're all lossless vs analog... ;)

What??? Records hold more data than cds. I also think that tapes were lossless? @mhardy6647???
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • BlueFox
    Yes, records (vinyl) have a lot more data than CDs. Hiss, pops, crackle, rumble, and other data are missing from CDs. That is why vinyl cost a lot more than CDs. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Don’t forget that most of the new music on vinyl over the last 20 years was still digitally recorded and mastered. Also the lathe used to cut the mold is digitally operated so you’re not getting an original analog signal anyway just a digitally recreated one pressed in vinyl.

May as well just have a good DAC to do that for you.

And no vinyl doesn’t have near the information lossless digital has. It needs to reduce the dynamic range to about 70% of what the cd counterpart has, the bass has to be reduced because the needle can’t track such a wide wave length. Arguably the bass sounds better with vinyl but that is attributed to the added vibration the wide groove causes and could be described as distortion.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    I might have a source of FLAC files for you. Will send by PM.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...