Polk LSIM Open Box Speakers:- Adorama

Comments

• I love my LSiM705s in the stereo for music, but if these were going in a dedicated HT I would still recommend the RTI/As. Great deal though and would be excellent if they are to serve double duty in a family room or wherever.

IMO the RTI/A are the best current Polks for HT.

Haven’t yet heard the signature though.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Patchouli
    Patchouli Posts: 9
    edited October 2017
    Polk won't do anything.

My gut says they will be replacing the LSIM series and are working hand & hand with Adorama to dump stock quickly.

Saves Polk money as they can load up trucks and make large scale deliveries to a single company who then dumps them out to the market.

On the plus side I would be keeping an eye on E*Bay as it's about to get flooded with "New In Box 703's" for real cheap from all the people who were thinking they'd get some 705's or 707's and dump the 703's on CL/E*Bay

Same thing happened with Canon used to do their "Buy a Canon XYZ SLR get a free $500 printer!!" about a month later there were loads of $500 Canon printers for sale no one could sell and you could pick one up with free shipping for $50

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Look at that, the first time poster has it all figured out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Look at that, the first time poster has it all figured out.

Thank You :)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Polk is most likely not going to replace the LSiM line.

They have made it clear that the Polk brand is going to be value/budget targeted and Def Tech on up will handle high end for them.

Polk reps have already been on here telling us how they can’t move the LSiM unless it’s with a massive sale...

At best, we might see an updated RTi line, maybe something that helps bridge the gap between RTi and LSi.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2017
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    At best, we might see an updated RTi line, maybe something that helps bridge the gap between RTi and LSi.

good, better, best, that was said multiple times. The T series replaced the M series and the monitor line, the signature line essentially replaced TSi and RTi, and the next will replace the LSiM, although I think I agree with what you are getting at in that it will be less expensive than the LSiMs and probably be closer in build quality to the RTi but hopefully with a little more refined sound...

edit: wow holy run-on sentence lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Now it all makes sense to me.

Good = T
    better = Signatures
    best = ?

When I was at Polk a while back, well it was covered by a tarp. NDA will keep me from saying anything else.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Patchouli
    edited October 2017
    Polk reps have already been on here telling us how they can’t move the LSiM unless it’s with a massive sale...

Well part of that is probably all the folks who bought the LSi speaker line and remembered how Polk totally cheaped out on the crossovers.

Let's see LSi9 when new, 15 years ago, was like $500+ each so a pair in 2017 dollars would be say $1,500

Suppose you bought a pair of speakers today for $1,500 and in four years found out that bits of the crossover were failing or needed replacing because Polk decided to spend $1.22 on a component instead of $2.34? That they preferred instead to save $6 a speaker? Ok, say $20.

If you got a deal on F&F sale or the Polk E*Bay refurb storefront you're probably giving them a pass. You paid MSRP or standard retail small discount you're peeved.

I know it all adds up spending an extra buck here or there but let's face it some of the components on the LSi 9 crossover were truly marginal (if that) when driven to their stated power handling levels.

What would your thought be come 2025 when you're thinking about upgrading?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I wonder if this means the long rumored return of the SDA is dead as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    gumbay13 wrote: »
    If I had been a little more patient, I could have gotten the 7 speaker deal (inclusive of a pair of 703s), for $530 less than what I paid for a 5 speaker package (LSIM 705/706C/702 f/x). :'(

Ouch. That really hurt$!!!
    So how do you like them thus far?

I like them a lot, for both music and movies. I reviewed my LSiM 705 speakers here (sorry about the missing pictures--Photobucket is holding them hostage):

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176867/another-lsim-705-review

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DSkip wrote: »
    EVERY major speaker manufacturer 'cheaps out' on crossover components on speakers under $5k. As far as failure, the failures were not caused by quality of said components.

I didn't say Polk was the only one doing it. Everyone can put cheap OEM tires on a their new cars that wear out in 25k miles, but the avg joe buying his first new car, remembers it was "Manufacturer X" that sold him the cheesy OEM tires. Even if the reality is everyone does it.

And you're right it wasn't caused by the quality of said components it was caused by Polk using marginally rated parts. They went with what's the lowest capacity part X that should generally withstand Y watts. And it turned out to straddle being marginally enough and marginally not enough.

It wasn't quality, it was underspec or "barely"spec parts. Was it oh every other one broke? No but a fair number who used their speakers, enjoyed them, played them loud, and listened a lot found parts breaking down.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Also, LSi9's retailed for $999, not $499.

My post said a little over $500 each or bit more than $1000 a pair. You're saying the were $2,000 a pair? I don't remember them being quite that much.
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    gumbay13 wrote: »
    If I had been a little more patient, I could have gotten the 7 speaker deal (inclusive of a pair of 703s), for $530 less than what I paid for a 5 speaker package (LSIM 705/706C/702 f/x). :'(

Ouch. That really hurt$!!!
    So how do you like them thus far?

I like them a lot, for both music and movies. I reviewed my LSiM 705 speakers here (sorry about the missing pictures--Photobucket is holding them hostage):

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176867/another-lsim-705-review

Thanks for sharing.
    Enjoyed reading your review!!!
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2017
    Patchouli wrote: »

Well part of that is probably all the folks who bought the LSi speaker line and remembered how Polk totally cheaped out on the crossovers.

Let's see LSi9 when new, 15 years ago, was like $500+ each so a pair in 2017 dollars would be say $1,500

Suppose you bought a pair of speakers today for $1,500 and in four years found out that bits of the crossover were failing or needed replacing because Polk decided to spend $1.22 on a component instead of $2.34? That they preferred instead to save $6 a speaker? Ok, say $20.

If you got a deal on F&F sale or the Polk E*Bay refurb storefront you're probably giving them a pass. You paid MSRP or standard retail small discount you're peeved.

I know it all adds up spending an extra buck here or there but let's face it some of the components on the LSi 9 crossover were truly marginal (if that) when driven to their stated power handling levels.

What would your thought be come 2025 when you're thinking about upgrading?

It appears you are only here to bad mouth Polk, so here's a bit of free advice. Stop.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Dude, you're not going to believe this, but it's coming soon!
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/magnifimaxsr
    Patented SDA digital surround technology creates an expansive, multi-dimensional sound experience
    (Emphasis added)
    :p
  • Patchouli
    edited October 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    It appears you are only here to bad mouth Polk, so here's a bit of free advice. Stop.

No not at all. Came here as I saw the deal on Adorama and bought the 705/703/706 package they came in today. I stumbled across it on a deals website and searching "705 vs 707" brought me to this thread.

I have the LSi 9's and 15's and to say something good they are nice sounding speakers with a few weak points the crossover being one. The choice Polk made on the ring radiator tweeter in them was very well done and vocals and strings sound great.

I think my message while it is down on the crossovers isn't out of line with the conversation. I'm not bashing them it was in response to someone talking about how Polk couldn't move LSIM models. I thought that a possible reason Polk may be having some problems moving the M's is many people remembered the weak crossovers in the LSi models. It crossed my mind before I clicked buy.

The LSi also had rather nice cabinets for their price point. Other than the crossover the LSi9 didn't have much competition at it's on sale price. And Upstate made a good point it's probably everyone at this price point doing the same thing.

Breaking in the 705s now! For anyone else reading this I'm not bashing Polk and if you're on the fence I recommend you buy at this price right now.

sqmil6120c2i.jpg

• mrloren

Patchouli wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

No not at all. Came here as I saw the deal on Adorama and bought the 705/703/706 package they came in today. I stumbled across it on a deals website and searching "705 vs 707" brought me to this thread.

I have the LSi 9's and 15's and to say something good they are nice sounding speakers with a few weak points the crossover being one. The choice Polk made on the ring radiator tweeter in them was very well done and vocals and strings sound great.

I think my message while it is down on the crossovers isn't out of line with the conversation. I'm not bashing them it was in response to someone talking about how Polk couldn't move LSIM models. I thought that a possible reason Polk may be having some problems moving the M's is many people remembered the weak crossovers in the LSi models. It crossed my mind before I clicked buy.

The LSi also had rather nice cabinets for their price point. Other than the crossover the LSi9 didn't have much competition at it's on sale price. And Upstate made a good point it's probably everyone at this price point doing the same thing.

Breaking in the 705s now! For anyone else reading this I'm not bashing Polk and if you're on the fence I recommend you buy at this price right now.

sqmil6120c2i.jpg

If I had the extra cash I would get one of these LSiM packages. So now after reading this I am going to have to go listen to my signatures and get this crazy thought out of my head.

Now if you could be a pal and take a vertical measurement of the 706C that would be cool. I know the spec say 9" but a real life measure would be nice.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    [/quote]
    Now if you could be a pal and take a vertical measurement of the 706C that would be cool. I know the spec say 9" but a real life measure would be nice. [/quote]

706c is 8 and 15/16" height at the front, without feet. Just over 8" in the back.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Dude, you're not going to believe this, but it's coming soon!
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/magnifimaxsr
    Patented SDA digital surround technology creates an expansive, multi-dimensional sound experience
    (Emphasis added)
    :p

Kiss my patootie... you know I meant the good stuff. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Yes, the LSIM series are getting into 'rarified' air territory. DSkip, I certainly haven't had the opportunity to listen to all those you listed as direct competition for the price point. But, from my sampling, seems it's more of a personal preference.

Since the days of my first Cerwin Vega 6x9s, to entertaining the thought of owning more boutique speakers than I can remember, the LSIM speakers do present a very clear pleasing sound. Or, perhaps, my ears are not so discerning after a few decades of CV and the like.

mrloren, all I can say, sold my Signatures! They are very good with some differences from the LSIM.

One difference I see thinking back a few decades, it's more difficult to audition a lot of the great speakers. Once upon a time, a broke small town college kid could audition speakers all day long if he wished. Maybe this is the fate of hi-fi.

Ain't technology great? We benefit from improvements and lower cost - that's value. Makes life harder for boutique brands though, must find something to differentiate themselves and provide perceived goodness to create a brand value.

If the LSIM were at their high value proposition level, would never have purchased, haven't heard anything that good yet.

As much as I like (or want to like) the towers, I believe the 703 are the gems. They can stand alone for music.
  • mrloren
    edited October 2017
    the opening in my TV stand is right at 9" for the center speaker. Might have to build a new stand.

I'm soooo tempted to get one of these sets but funding is saying NO. Christmas is coming, if I put it on a CC I would be homeless before the speakers arrived. Just don't have the dollars to make it work. I did drop the links to family members are a birthday gift next week but don't think that will happen.

another note; selling used home audio in San Diego sucks. So it will be real hard to sell my signatures.

I guess I will try to forget about this great deal and enjoy my Signatures.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    mrloren wrote: »
    the opening in my TV stand is right at 9" for the center speaker. Might have to build a new stand.

If you used some thin foam at the bottom instead of feet, it would fit.
  • mrloren
    naaaa aint happening. No funding, besides my signatures sound great. Just had my afterwork unwind with Queensrych Empire oh man sweet CD. I need to find the DVD Audio of that album.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    All I can say is this is a terrific value. Get in while it's still here. It may never come again with the way the market is going. I need to move my LSi25s out so I can set up the 703s. Those towers take up so much space.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • gumbay13
  • gumbay13
  • gumbay13
    Get it while its hot!!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I wish I knew what I could sell the rest of them for on CL. Then I would jump on this deal just to keep the towers I have been lusting after for two years. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    Holy crapsticks. I just bought one. All new from what I can tell. Was on the fence buying some. At $2400 I am quite happy with my decision. Thanks for posting Gumbay!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    A few of mine have shown up. Man that 702 box is a beast to move full. Big and heavy. Beautiful speakers!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite