Monitor 10A Tweeter Conundrum

Options
I just did an extreme downsizing to my speaker and parts collection..I mean there was blood on the floor!
What I have left is a pair of Monitor 10A's. Not too big, not too small, sounds good.

As for parts I have Monitor 7B peerless tweeters and a pair of SL2500 tweeters.

Some questions:
Are 7B and 10A Peerless interchangeable?

Would SL2500's swap into the 10A's and would they sound better?

If I upgraded the 10A's with new tweeters, what would be the better tweeter, and -

Is there an upgrade for the 10A's which would require upgrading the crossovers?

These being my only home audio speakers I'd like to make them the best they can be!

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Is there something wrong with the tweeters that are currently installed in the 10's? The Peerless from the 7's will work fine. The SL2500 will not. If the crossovers have not been refreshed/upgraded, you should consider doing that, as the old caps are way past their prime.
  • wingzam
    wingzam Posts: 201
    Options
    Faustin the 10's sound good but just in case I'd like to have some spare tweeters. If there's a better tweeter I'd like to drop those in.

I'll have to pull the crossovers and take a look at them. Would like to know if I do work on the crossovers, if there's an upgrade for the crossovers and matching tweeters I'd like to do that.

Thanks!
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Many people prefer the peerless and they are valued. There is no replacement for the peerless other than a knock off. Any of the newer polk tweeters will not be a drop in replacement for 2 major reasons. The face plate and mounting holes are different, and the speakers and crossovers in the later models are different, so they can't be mixed and matched. The peerless tweeters still have value. The SL series of polk tweeters have little value. Polk makes superior replacement tweeters as drop in replacements for the SL series of tweeters. If you have tweeters with a silver metal face that look like the peerless (SL1000), then you have a unique animal and more information is required.

Just some FYI
    The replacements for the SL2000 tweeters are RD0-194, and the replacements for the SL2500 & SL3000 are RD0-198. The SL2000 / 194 tweeters are electronically different from the others and therefore require different crossovers. Physically they are interchangeable. Since people rebuild crossovers due to age and deterioration of the capacitors in them, many people change the crossover to the 198 tweeter since they feel it sounds a little better than the 194. This is known as the a TL / SL3000 mod.

IMO I was not impressed at all with the SL2500 tweeter.
  • wingzam
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    Just some FYI
    The replacements for the SL2000 tweeters are RD0-194, and the replacements for the SL2500 & SL3000 are RD0-198. The SL2000 / 194 tweeters are electronically different from the others and therefore require different crossovers. Physically they are interchangeable. Since people rebuild crossovers due to age and deterioration of the capacitors in them, many people change the crossover to the 198 tweeter since they feel it sounds a little better than the 194. This is known as the a TL / SL3000 mod.

OK, so there are no replacement tweeters for the Peerless..
    I have the black dome Peerless

Now then, do you and others think the 198 sounds better than the Peerless?
    If so, can I rework the crossovers on the 10A's to accept the 198?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    wingzam wrote: »
    pkquat wrote: »
    Just some FYI

OK, so there are no replacement tweeters for the Peerless..
    I have the black dome Peerless

Now then, do you and others think the 198 sounds better than the Peerless?
    If so, can I rework the crossovers on the 10A's to accept the 198?

There is a replacement available from Mid-West Audio, it's a copy of the original Peerless.

You have the best tweeter for those speakers already.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingzam
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

You have the best tweeter for those speakers already.

OK F1nut, good to know, thanks!

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    As others have stated, the Peerless is the best tweeter for your 10's. Rebuild the crossovers (and perhaps some of the other recommended mods) and your ears will be happy.
  • wingzam
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    As others have stated, the Peerless is the best tweeter for your 10's. Rebuild the crossovers (and perhaps some of the other recommended mods) and your ears will be happy.

Am looking forward to it, thanks!