WTB: Silver faced SACD/CD/Universal disc player

I am working on putting together a small rig to display at LSAF 2018. I have pretty much everything else needed but would like to put a decent quality CDP/SACD player into the mix. All the other gear is silver faced so would like something to match.

Budget is the word of the day here as the most expensive piece in this whole project is the DIY speakers I am building for the display.

Let me know what you have.

Thank you.
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• I must have something in the ultra cheap category.
    Let me look around...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited October 2017
    All I have is one of those cheap (but once rather renowned) Toshiba DVD players (SD-3950). I once had a big, bad, silver early Sony -- but it didn't work :(

I am guessing the Toshiba would be of zero interest (and it doesn't, if memory serves, like to play CD-Rs)... but if you'd like it, it's yours for the cost of shipping (it's not heavy). On the bright side, it does have its remote.

592c36orgqz8.jpg

There were many modifications/"upgrades" published for this player back when... but this one is "stock" (as found at the good ol' Harvard town dump... umm, I mean, transfer station).

some discussion of the mods for the SD-3950:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/toshiba-sd-3950-60-mods.32295/
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/toshiba-sd-3950-60-swenson-mods.659067/

Strictly as an aside, the aforementioned Sony. It is too bad it was DOA. A post-mortem exam revealed that its last meal was a Kenny G CD. I'm not a pathologist, but I suspect that was the cause of death. :neutral:

30123363084_4508d4d7a2_b.jpgDSC_6315_zps1998048c by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    ... or, if you're thinkin' about going a little "outside the box", with intense hipster cred -- how about an 8-track? ;)

13380845744_0fa5ebafd3_b.jpgHeathkit tuner and RS 8 track by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    I just placed an order and will be converting an Onkyo C-7030 to match my silverface dining setup.
    Will you post pics of your project?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • I checked in the storage and I have a Toshiba SD-4960 player.
    The remote is at large...
    but you want it, same deal as Doc hardy, you cover shipping.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Thanks for the offers guys...I have a line on a couple of Arcams and a silver faced Denon but if those fall through. I will let you know.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    xschop wrote: »
    I just placed an order and will be converting an Onkyo C-7030 to match my silverface dining setup.

Got to get the speakers done first...building a set of Seas driver based DIY bookies...but I will keep my progress updated in the DIY forum.

• mhardy6647
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »

Got to get the speakers done first...building a set of Seas driver based DIY bookies...but I will keep my progress updated in the DIY forum.

Yes, yes you should. :)
    Lookin' forward to some pictures...
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2017
    I recently bought the silver Teac Cd-1000. If I had a line on a black one, I would let it go!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • ZLTFUL
    Ended up finding a literally like new Denon DVD-2900 in silver from Canuckistan. And it was dirt cheap too.

Now on to the next parts of this project... *evil laugh*

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Ended up finding a literally like new Denon DVD-2900 in silver from Canuckistan. And it was dirt cheap too.

Now on to the next parts of this project... *evil laugh*

I'm going to laugh when all of a sudden you need to switch to BLACK faceplates *evil grin*
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    Literally everything else already in this particular system has silver faces.

My "big" 2 channel rig is all (trigger warning) black face.

• mhardy6647
    System integration is very important. It is the Twenty-first Century, after all...