Youse guyses might enjoy/appreciate this: "receiver reviews"

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited October 2017 in Electronics
I saw this link posted Somewhere Else and, ever curious, I perused it.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-receiver/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpa&utm_campaign=wc-performance&utm_term=CNN+Catch-all

For all I know, the advice might be good -- but I am a wee bit skeptical, given a subsection titled "Why Should You Trust Us?" Well, that inspires confidence :)

It goes on to say:
We spent more than 10 hours researching and selecting models based on what more than 1,000 surveyed Wirecutter readers told us they needed in a receiver. We then spent another 70 hours installing, setting up, and testing each model in a home theater to determine which one was the best choice. This year’s process was even more extensive than last year’s, when we tested six models for 50 hours.

I’ve been writing about and reviewing home theater equipment for close to a decade. In that time I’ve listened to dozens of receivers, preamps, and amplifiers to recognize the differences between them.
Wow. More than ten whole hours.
And the guy's been writing about audio for close to a decade. Heck, I've got half finished hifi projects I've been working on for more than a decade...

Then again, maybe this is the best 'shoot out style' review extant -- and I shouldn't be so snarky.

I am doubtful, though.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    I think it was also because it cost more, if I read correctly.
    I mean, good heavens, man, they spent 10 hours researching!
    That must be good information!

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Trying to figure out if the author is a Denon fanboy, or thinks anything above entry level is cr**.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    It seemed fairly balanced and accurate for regular users, and it was based on what their readers said they wanted in a receiver. Most of whom do want the most features, for as little money as possible. They want ease of set up and use that will get them through a few years until a whole new set of features come up that make it worth upgrading.

Needless to say, the majority on this board (that are vocal) do not fit into this category.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Its ..."You Guys".
    Electronics major with a English minor Mark?

Biology and German -- could you tell?

;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    cfrizz wrote: »
    It seemed fairly balanced and accurate for regular users, and it was based on what their readers said they wanted in a receiver. Most of whom do want the most features, for as little money as possible. They want ease of set up and use that will get them through a few years until a whole new set of features come up that make it worth upgrading.

Needless to say, the majority on this board (that are vocal) do not fit into this category.

I agree Cathy. I have been forced to rethink my entire approach to this hobby because of what I learned while testing CD players.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    cfrizz wrote: »

I agree Cathy. I have been forced to rethink my entire approach to this hobby because of what I learned while testing CD players.

This is a very interesting comment (in all seriousness). Have you posted your musings on what you've learned while testing CD players here someplace? If so, can you post a link? If not -- I'd encourage you to start a thread.

... and my apologies if you have discussed this and I simply missed it (or forgot)!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^

@mhardy6647 I will sum it up quick for you Doc, cause you got to get to the dump to save more vintage gear...

He's going to go digital with either a HTPC or a NAS paired with a good DAC, which he already bought (PS Audio PerfectWave) :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2017
    but -- but -- CDs are digital! :)

I presume you mean he's going "hi-res", then?

No dump here, sadly :/

Thanks!
  • I should post my speaker cable review. I've spent literally dozens of minutes comparing left and right speaker cables. I find it takes a well trained ear to discern the differences, but I have it NAILED. The other ear is of course not so well trained so I've got that going for me.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've only used 3 types of wire going to my speakers and I will say, 1 and 2 sound alike. #3 definitely sounded BRIGHTER than the other 2. It was a lot thicker also.

Now interconnecting cables HAVE to have an impact on sound if my wire did. I have yet to do a comparison test on interconnects but from what I have read on this forum, IT MATTERS. We can take advice from those who have gone before us. If we can't afford to buy expensive cables or wire, then we will never know what we're missing, will we.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.