New REL S-5 in the house...

Still figuring out the best way to set this up in my rig, but floor model for 600.00, it was hard to pass up. I have liked the look and feel of this one since it came out.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• NOOOOIIICCCCEEEEE!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Sweeeet!

I usually get yelled at for no pics about 5 minutes into a new thread.....so......POST SOME PICS homie... :):):)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    You know the rules John....
    Such a newbie
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Right now I have a screaming 7 month old...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Enjoy all that that you can. Only yesterday mine was that age...well like 28 yrs ago yesterday.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Right now I have a screaming 7 month old...

Screaming for some Bassnectar?

JK...I totally understsand...mine are 3, 5, and 7.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • nooshinjohn
    Think I am going to get the REL Longbow and go the wireless route. What I am liking so far is the ability to run a high level connection from my amps and the LFE signal from my Pioneer at the same time. This will bring some needed reinforcement to the bottom end for two channel along with the transient punch needed for movie soundtracks.

I don't think the big Polks are missing anything really on the bottom end, but if the REL is able to establish the subsonic floor, that should help everything else.

• Think I am going to get the REL Longbow and go the wireless route. What I am liking so far is the ability to run a high level connection from my amps and the LFE signal from my Pioneer at the same time. This will bring some needed reinforcement to the bottom end for two channel along with the transient punch needed for movie soundtracks.

I don't think the big Polks are missing anything really on the bottom end, but if the REL is able to establish the subsonic floor, that should help everything else.

If your on a slab like I think, wont matter :disappointed:

I've got a 18" sub and 4 x 12's almost next to me, and even I cant get subsonics that well due to the slab killing them.

If your on a wooden subfloor.... well then my friend your in for a treat.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Sweeeet!

I usually get yelled at for no pics about 5 minutes into a new thread.....so......POST SOME PICS homie... :):):)

and a review. B)
  • nooshinjohn
    Pics and preliminary comments coming tomorrow, as I will finally have time to play with it a bit. There is a very small chip on the back corner of the cabinet on the back side corner. Any advice on repairs that will protect from further pealing?

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited October 2017
    In my old house My dual PB 13 ultras would rattle your balls, this was on a cement slab in a basement. My buddy said he felt his fat gut flapping. So it is possible.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nooshinjohn
    Just a little TMI... :p

• mikeyb128
    edited October 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    In my old house My dual PB 13 ultras would rattle your balls, this was on a cement slab in a basement. My buddy said he felt his fat gut flapping. So it is possible.

You need new friends.

Why? Should I get skinnier ones?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Pics and preliminary comments coming tomorrow, as I will finally have time to play with it a bit. There is a very small chip on the back corner of the cabinet on the back side corner. Any advice on repairs that will protect from further pealing?

It's supposed to be a lacquer finish, but it could be polyester or even automotive paint. Regardless, none of those are going to peel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I'm not surprised. As many can attest, no sub needed with my 2.3TL's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    I think it could be helpful with HT, so as not to push the big girls into places they don't need to go. I will keep playing with the settings, but if it makes no difference with two channel, I may just flip it and make a buck or two.

• nooshinjohn
    I unplugged the REL.... thought it adds nothing, but wow. It makes no perceivable sound, yet with it off, a bunch of low end detail just vanished. I am talking about things like the strike of the hammer on kick drums, and also an enhanced sense of clarity. More to come including pictures

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2017
    That is one nice-looking sub! It's also one of those items you have to make sure you are dressed when you take pictures of it to prevent your reflection from being captured in the finish. :p (Google "ebay tea kettle.")
  • mikeyb128
    Beautiful sub, and a smoking deal on that guy. I've always felt that you shouldn't notice a sub, until you turn it off.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454

You need new friends.

Why? Should I get skinnier ones?

Yeah!!! They're absorbing all that bass!

Easy there Skip...
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    Little bit of an update here... the Sub is blending nicely with the big SDA's. As observed before, it does not add much, but what it does do is phenomenal. Listening to a stand up Bass or cello being bowed, the SDA's pick up the note and play it well, while the sub grabs onto the resonance of the body of the instrument and adds depth and character to the instrument. It basically completes the illusion of the actual event.

Highly recommend this sub, and REL in general.

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2017
    Finally had a few moments to air things out a bit on a movie soundtrack. The REL does exactly what I hoped it would. It relieves the strain on the mw drivers in the SDA's and offers increased dynamics and power during intense action scenes.

With just the 1.2TL's in play, I felt like I was forcing the speakers to perform a task for which they were never intended, but the REL changes the equation to such a degree that they now seem right at home.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    REL makes one of the very best sounding Dual purpose woofers on the market.
    Very nice score there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.