Hey - Hold my beer, Watch this!

Our friend SCompracer already modded the bajezus out of the Music Hall 25.3 and it is recorded here somewhere ( http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/127985/music-hall-25-3-dac-mods-belleson-super-regulator ) what he did. I purchased this with one of the Burson op amps burned out due to a mispin by the next owner. I returned it to good condition and have been using it for a couple of years.

It's no fun just leaving things as is... Time to upgrade it further!
All I did was replace the output coupling caps. I used Clarity Cap CMR 3.3uf 400v caps (smaller voltages are not available in this cap). They are just a tad bigger than the M Caps that were in it (by a factor of 4x or 5x!).
ycodj2ec8omk.jpg

I use this DAC to feed my Bottlehead Mainline headphone amp with Sennheiser HD800s headphones so I don't feel to bad about putting a bit more into this DAC.

Before we begin - where we started and what we're putting in.
hoon58u72jyr.jpg

Board removed from the chassis and the original caps pulled.
pe9siv4i9q1f.jpg

New caps installed. I use double sided tape to keep them from banging against each other and to stabilize them.
pduio49yvmyg.jpg

Heat shield around the tube.
j4sjm2q7dhm3.jpg

Hey! Give me my beer back. The darn thing still works!!!
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Slacker. I still see WAAYYY to much empty space in that case. You need to mod it more!

Maybe an interior linear powersupply....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Good god man they're fargun Uuugh. Just enough room for the heat shield.
    Nice job
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Look at those Op Amps!!!

My father once told me, "if you'd stop playing with it, it would actually grow..."
    Can't just leave things alone can you. B)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Schweet!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    In this neck of the woods, the saying is more like "Hold my beer, wa-chiss".
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited May 2017
    Just when you thought it was safe to go outside. :*

I forgot I still had the non-burned out Burson. I saw a picture with the Burson installed in the little headphone board...hmmm....

The original Burson is a gen prior to the ones I purchased. I don't think that's a big deal but I could not use the old Burson in the headphone amp as it had an extra socket soldered to it. That extra socket was there to lift it above the caps over on the main board. However, the new Burson wasn't soldered to an extra socket.

I used the new Burson in the headphone amp and the older one in the main board.

Next - I see two tiny electrolytic caps on that headphone board...there must be a way to make those film caps. B)

Original Burson on the main board.
    rqrrzq9pmbq9.jpg

Newer Burson on the headphone board.
    1mzt3egqpcda.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2017
    I was surprised it still worked after that poor fellow plugged the Burson in backwards. One of them Belleson Superpower regs musta been sweating at full output. Good thing I did the sink upgrade..... That Burson had a Viking funeral.

Nice work! You think the headphone PS has got the torque to run that Burson? Them first gen's were mA power hungry. I forget where headphone power originates. Too bad you sold your scope...want to buy another? :smiley:

I picked up one of these handheld Fluke 123's and fixed the screen issues. Been my goto scope. Much lighter than the old Tektronix.

s-l1600.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Still got the scope!

I used the old one on the main board so it can pull from the power you supplied!

The new one is on the headphone board. So far no smoke at all... :#
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Nice! Love to see those "explosive size" caps in the mix. Let us know what you think as they burn in.
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2017
    Faustin wrote: »
    Nice! Love to see those "explosive size" caps in the mix. Let us know what you think as they burn in.

Please, don't mention explosives to Aaron! ;)

I think you gave me the one of the matched pair that survived?

They had dink-sinks in there before.

mh253_3.jpg

Don't touch the silver things! They will rectify you.

sinked_2.jpg

Old shot with deadmouse, pre litigation days....

deadmousedac.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    I've wondered where that last Burson went! :o

Boom? Bang? Kapow? BOOM!!! :*o:)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2017
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I've wondered where that last Burson went! :o

Boom? Bang? Kapow? BOOM!!! :*o:)

You want it back? I haven't used it. My DAC is running on discrete balanced.

For kicks you could plug it in backwards and power it up. :o>:)

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    for kicks you could plug it in backwards and power it up. :o>:)
    Yeah do it with lid off and post video. :) :
  • ALL212
    5bq0von4wugk.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
  • ALL212
    Those last two M-caps were bothering me...

The mission:
    1) replace the last 2 M-caps with something I wouldn't have to modify the chassis to get in. Chose Sonicap Gen 1 3.3 200v L1 matched caps.
    2) Muck with the headphone output just for fun. Found a pair of BlackGate's, matched. Thought I'd try and tip those with film caps from my stock of left overs. Found a closely matched pair of .15 200v Sonicaps that should fit.
    3) Sound dampen the chassis - more fun.

Start here:

qbqyq6dhy29q.jpg
    o3fcqdv6yfwv.jpg

This wasn't much of a challenge - plenty of room to get the Sonicap's in.

j53xjp3ula0p.jpg
    co3lts6oaz50.jpg

Phase 2:

BlackGate's ready to go:
    fh1b9omz9dwv.jpg

Starting point:
    0vxkulap8bbd.jpg

BlackGates's in:
    9ji01efyusbu.jpg

the back side with Sonicaps:
    p3ubw9zcm2bl.jpg

tight but not impossible:
    btuchqq5httk.jpg

Damping everywhere!!
    ffnek1had5z8.jpg

Just before cover up, added some ferrite core's and twisted most of the leads.
    43gnqkcnhaks.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    That Burson had a Viking funeral.
    :(

zuafn31s7bqe.jpg

• pitdogg2
    Fine Golds are no slouch, how different are Black Gates compared to the Fine Golds?

I was always leery using Black Gates since they are no longer made and must have some shelf years on them. Another good one is the Elna Silmic 2 caps smooth as silk.
  • SCompRacer
    What part of Viking funeral don't you understand? Hate me all you want, I have plenty of good friends.

bamhiiz24zto.png
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2017
    Aaron, I thought you were done with this...lol

My next project...pre-ordered. Gonna go with the ESS 9028.

b3sepro28.jpg
  • ALL212
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Fine Golds are no slouch, how different are Black Gates compared to the Fine Golds?

I was always leery using Black Gates since they are no longer made and must have some shelf years on them. Another good one is the Elna Silmic 2 caps smooth as silk.

Fine Golds are very good. The reason for the replacement was the work done on the back side. I needed the leads to go through so I could attach the film caps and then clip off the excess. I found the BG's and went with it.

Listened last night with the Senn HD800S's. No fatigue at all - was very enjoyable. Will pit it against the Bottlehead Mainline next.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What part of Viking funeral don't you understand? Hate me all you want, I have plenty of good friends.
    LOLWUT???? :p
    I think you took my meaning the opposite of how it was intended. I'm Viking. I am represented by a pug. A viking funeral would mean that I am dead, perhaps killed. Perhaps the result of someone hating me. The pug pictured is indifferent to the hate. There, that should clear up any misunderstanding. :o
  • SCompRacer
    10-4 I'm a Russian - Swede mix.
  • ALL212
    Aaron, I thought you were done with this...lol

My next project...pre-ordered. Gonna go with the ESS 9028.

Hi...my name is ALL212 and I have a problem...

vvpoyjhktzvf.png

Can't leave it alone. I think we're done now. Don't want to end up here.
    p4i6d98xiovy.jpg

What's your completion date on the ESS update? Gonna need a visit.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2017

What's your completion date on the ESS update? Gonna need a visit.

The 9028 can be a drop in swap provided I can power it with what I have. Nov 12th is proposed ship date. That is it will work with the current line of Twisted Pear's I/V boards. The 9028/9038 DAC boards require 750mA at 5.25v.

Not sure when I'll get to it, they haven't found any qualified folks to fill the empty position here. I am working myself into advanced decrepitude.

The 9038 has quadruple the output current and needs the Mercury I/V output board that hasn't been released yet. I can use that same I/V board with the 9028, and I'll get one when it is released. Until then it's The Legato with discrete balanced out.

A little info about the new chip/implementation.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/313476-introducing-buffalo-iii-se-pro-9028-9038-a.html
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Fine Golds are very good. The reason for the replacement was the work done on the back side. I needed the leads to go through so I could attach the film caps and then clip off the excess. I found the BG's and went with it.

Listened last night with the Senn HD800S's. No fatigue at all - was very enjoyable. Will pit it against the Bottlehead Mainline next.

Oh so you are bypassing with film caps? OK I was wondering why you left the BG so far off the board.

• ALL212
    Yep - the "so far off the board" is an inadvertent side effect of trying to solder the film caps on at the same time as soldering the BG's to the board. I lose track of where everything is! They should have been tighter to the board but it works.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    Gots to have room to work very understandable :)
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2017
    Almost upgraded to SoundScape 10's but something came up.

SS10-rewoodburl.jpg
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That there is an odd looking mid... But it's pretty!!