New SDA SRS 1.2TL for long time Polk Owner

Hi.

So, I'm a new SDA SRS 1.2TL owner. I've been a fan of Polk for a long time. The house is full of the older 4ohm LSi series (7s, 9s, and 15s and two Cs) in two home theaters (media room and living room). I also have a pair of LSiM707s for my audiophile setup.

I keep a shortcut on my internet browser to check for new Polk items on Craigslist here in Austin Tx. On Monday night, just as I was leaving work, I clicked on it while waiting for some spreadsheets at work to save down, and someone has just posted a pair of 1.2s for $450 about 5 minutes earlier. I wasn't 100% sure what they were, but sent him an email anyway to tell him I was interested. Apparently, I was the first of a long list of people that emailed him, and who apparently even offered him more money. There were enough emails that on Tuesday night, he had to pull the ad (he had already received 40ish emails). He was kind enough to hold them an extra day for me so that picking them up wouldn't impede on my date night with the fiance. Kinda important since we only get to do that once every two or three weeks with kid and work schedules. Cancelling date night would have been a great way to hurt the WAF (wife (or fiance) acceptance factor).

Anyway, got them home last night, and set them up after my daughter was asleep. No small feat, considering they're 185lbs and all I had was my handtruck.

Anyway, I thought I knew what a virtual soundstage was, but I really had no clue. Now, I have some nice speakers. And I've HAD some nice speakers. Besides the Polks, I have my Rectilinear Mini IIIs. I've had Cerwin Vegas, Sansui, Bose, B&W, Paradigm, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting (like JBL and MTX in my youth). But I've never heard a set of speakers as nice as these. I listened to them in the dark for a few hours with a multitude of different types of music. I could swear there were instruments playing where there were no speakers. Playing Dark of the Moon, there were cash registers and clocks ringing all over the room. Listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D, I could swear there was a full Orchestra in front of me. Tchaikovsky's Overture of 1812... I have no words... I listened to some Hank Mobley, and Keb Mo, and Miles Davis. This morning, it was AC/DC and "The Wall". It was/is a whole new experience.

I'm so happy that I replied to the ad before knowing what they were and so happy the seller honored his posted price. And I'm so happy they're huge b/c the mortician won't have any trouble burying me in one of them when I'm dead.... LOL....

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Congrats on your very first steps into the rabbit hole. While these speakers sound great in their stock form, they are taken to a completely new place with some upgrades, but more on that later.

For now, enjoy your speakers and welcome to the club.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Sick deal. Congratulations!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Nice
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Great deal, throw up some pics when you get a chance. We would love to see them. Welcome to Club Polk.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    $1.22 a pound - awesome! ;)

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Congrats on the find and welcome to the 'big boys' club. Pics are mandatory, by the way :)
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Sweet Deal. That is a steal for 1.2TL's. Install some RDO198 tweeters to replace the stock ones and they will sound even better. Well worth the investment and a good way to enter the rabbit hole to boot.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Congratulations!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Pix or it didn't happen!

Welcome to Club Polk . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2017
    Congratulations on a stunning score!

I assume the SDA cable was included and that you have it connected.

After you install the RDO-198 tweeters, which you can order from Polk with a 10% Forum-member discount, you should replace the stock SDA cable with a Dreadnought. An 800VA version, ready to use, is for sale on the Forum now.

You scored a great pair of legendary speakers. For what it's worth I paid three times as much for a pair of 1.2s -- not TLs -- a few years back and have installed virtually all the modifications you will read about on the Forum. In my opinion all these mods are well worth the money.

Welcome to the Forum.

Please post those pictures. We're a bunch of voyeurs! :)

PS: That Dreadnought is in Austin, TX.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• That one driver is the only damaged item I can find except that the grill covering is a little tired on the sides and on the front of one speaker...
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Congrats. While I don't frequent Craigslist often, Austin does seem to be the place for some great deals in my limited experience.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to CP. Lots of great guys on here (especially those of us from Texas) :#
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • What a great deal. Don't forget to spike them. It's the biggest "bang for the buck"
  • Drahthaar wrote: »
    What a great deal. Don't forget to spike them. It's the biggest "bang for the buck"

Even if I could pick them up over my head, I don't think I'd want to throw them down on the ground as hard as I could. Bad for the floors, and bad for the speakers.

:D:D:D

LOL!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

Even if I could pick them up over my head, I don't think I'd want to throw them down on the ground as hard as I could. Bad for the floors, and bad for the speakers.

:D:D:D

A word of caution: Once you get some mods done and hear the difference, you will probably be penalized 15 yards for excessive celebration! :p
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Congrats, welcome to the forum, and the bottomless rabbit hole.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751

Just an FYI... Got a call today from Bugs Bunny's attorney. Mr Cheetum, of Wei, Cheetum and Howe, advised me that the continued use of the term "rabbit hole" is offensive to his client, and Mr. Bunny, not wanting his good name and character to be associated with us moroons, would appreciate us no longer using the term.

Please notify Bugs Bunny that I've been a client of Howe's since the firm was called Dewey, Cheatum & Howe which before Dewey past on and Wei was hired. I was told by Howe that Bugs Bunny's case is a conflict of interest for this reason and that Bugs needs to retain a new attorneys office to represent him.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Just an FYI... Got a call today from Bugs Bunny's attorney. Mr Cheetum, of Wei, Cheetum and Howe, advised me that the continued use of the term "rabbit hole" is offensive to his client, and Mr. Bunny, not wanting his good name and character to be associated with us moroons, would appreciate us no longer using the term.

Please notify Bugs Bunny that I've been a client of Howe's since the firm was called Dewey, Cheatum & Howe which before Dewey past on and Wei was hired. I was told by Howe that Bugs Bunny's case is a conflict of interest for this reason and that Bugs needs to retain a new attorneys office to represent him.

No worries. I hired some guy named Elmer Fudd to take care of our furry little friend.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

No worries. I hired some guy named Elmer Fudd to take care of our furry little friend.

That scwewy wabbit is going to Alcatwaz
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2017
    I was just talking to a man TONIGHT about stereo stuff and he says he's been a Sony ES lover all his life. Only Sony ES satisfies him. He's about 55 I guess. He loves those side panels on his gear. He's powering some BIG Infinity's of some sort. I didn't get a chance to go in and see his set-up, me being a craigs list buyer doing a night-time transaction in the pitch black dark tonight. His wife even came out to the garage door to ask him if he was alright after about 15 or 20 minutes.

I got my deal pretty much the same way but.....I was 4 hrs. late this time, but.....
    He called me back in 20 min. and asked how interested I was. I said I want to come buy the amps if they work and you'll guarantee them maybe. He said sure, come on at 6:30 or 7:00. He said he had a few calls already but the callers were saying they would get back to him asap. I said consider them sold to me if they turn on and look good. He said .I would love them. He said his brother took great care of his things as does he.

But back to you...Congrats on scoring a HOLY GRAIL of the POLK SDA-SRS collection !

Yup, if you love how they sound now...wait till you replace that speaker with a hole in it. I own the middle brother or sister to yours. The SDA-SRS2's. And like you, I loved what I heard for the first year and it hasn't let up at all.

Then check all the speaker screws to see if they're snug and tight. Like another said, new tweeters will help the sound of female singers voices and other sounds around the general frequencies in that area.

Then comes the Larry's rings for more sealing and
    Trey's Cross-over beautification.
    There's the JBWeld of the drivers rear basket and magnets if the cones are still working alright. Then the dampening of the woofers/mids frames with sound deadener.

Spike the bottoms when you get all that done. Have FUN !

You're one lucky guy. Play the Lottery asap.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Wow. What a stack of gear in the middle . Make sure you figure out if the amp you are using is common ground or not? Good luck . You found the right place to get them up to speed and beyond. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2017
    The Sony amp is common ground.

Way too much gear in that stack, IMO. All that's needed is the pre, the amp and one CDP. Also, lose the power strip and get a real power conditioner.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Can't help but notice that you've got two dual-cassette decks in that stack. Doing a lot of cassette cloning these days???
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^ And 3 Cd players.

I think somebody likes Sony ES gear ! B)

I know I do. I love how my Sony ES tuner sounds.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I _do_ actually like Sony ES gear. I had cheaper Sony gear as a kid, but was real happy with it. Their stuff was really well made through the mid nineties.

The second cassette deck (on the top) was bought for $15. At the time, It needed belts, rollers and lube. It's already been sold on eBay.

The house has a mix of Sony, Sansui, Denon and Onkyo. But the Sony and Sansui sounds best.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Nice score, and welcome to the club.

There's a wealth of Info here on really bringing those speakers to life...enjoy your journey.