Two PAIRS of Carver Platinums in a Sunfire!

2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Three schematics in the manual I have....

Date '86 schematic

hcu5di35yadk.jpg

Date '89 Platinum

yarngci2w30x.jpg

jd1dqttnc8a2.jpg

Date '89 Silver

3m2kcc7graut.jpg

44502ttkc61d.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    I will try to read this and look at the crossovers. I feel someone tried to hot-rod these or had no idea what they're doing. The woofers seem to come off the same terminals as the input on the crossover which doesn't make sense. I have no idea how to read a schematic but I should be able to make due. I'll take pics.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    There's a lot of things about those speakers that doesn't make sense.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    The truth ranger rides again lol.
    On a serious note, it would be nice to see them resto/modded. I'll be watching this project and hope to see it brought to fruition.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nguyendot
    I'll gauge how much work itll take. If not I'm going to part them out or resell them. They're huge and I can't store them easily.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Just FYI... my project died a while ago, as the cost of the parts far exceeded the value of just buying a pair that already worked.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    Are you referring to the Carvers or the Sunfire?
  • nooshinjohn
    The sunfire is the car used to haul them. We still have it. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nguyendot
    They for the most part work, i think the crossover needs rewired but who knows.
    Main Surround -

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    So, the original Amazings with the two ribbons are 4 ohm and the later Platinum series with the 60" ribbons are 8 ohm. I therefore do not believe one can use a 60" ribbon in the original Amazings nor can one use the honeycomb woofers in the Plats.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

From a sunfire to Demon..... sweeet upgrade :sunglasses:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nguyendot
    F1nut wrote: »
    So, the original Amazings with the two ribbons are 4 ohm and the later Platinum series with the 60" ribbons are 8 ohm. I therefore do not believe one can use a 60" ribbon in the original Amazings nor can one use the honeycomb woofers in the Plats.

Someone either bought two different ones or they hacked these up. My best bet might be to part them out then. The 60" tweeter sounds awesome. The 30" ones sound terrible but I'm thinking someone literally just ran random wires to them.
    Main Surround -

• nooshinjohn
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

From a sunfire to Demon..... sweeet upgrade :sunglasses:

I drive a Jaguar XJ now. The Sunfire collects dust because my wife can't sell her first car.

• xschop
    Watch those fuel lines on the Sunfire. That car can quickly earn it's name. I test-drove an XJ with a cammed LT1 back in the day. He could never get enough rear tire unless he tubbed it.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Tell me more of your ribbons. I’ve rebuilt silvers and know of two places that are refurbing ribbons. But I might be in the market for the 60.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I just can't figure out with a new baby how you have the time to consider a project that big.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    tonyb wrote: »
    I just can't figure out with a new baby how you have the time to consider a project that big.

Tony Johns project was several years ago. This was resurrected nguyendot.
  • nooshinjohn
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Take it easy on Tony... he's a Bears/Cubs fan....

• nguyendot

I have the new baby. Like literally a week old. Refurbing some KP-201 horns too (industrial Heresy IIs).

And picked up a few new receivers from Magnolia in the past 2 weeks.
    Main Surround -

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    nguyendot wrote: »

I have the new baby. Like literally a week old. Refurbing some KP-201 horns too (industrial Heresy IIs).

And picked up a few new receivers from Magnolia in the past 2 weeks.

My bad I'm sorry Tony call off waste management.....palease B)

Congrats on the new rugrat o:)<3