Any Pitbull owners in the house

boston1450
boston1450 Posts: 7,438
edited October 2017 in The Clubhouse
I was asked if i would take in a pitbull by my oldest daughter n granddaughter last night. They are moving & cant take her to the new place. They are heartbroken. Ive been around Montana, she is 4 years old. Likes me lol. I know nothing about pits. I know she isnt so good with strangers. So this may be good for her. I live in the woods with 1/4 mile driveway so plenty of area. No neighbor's. She could go anywhere with me for the most part.... Questions i have are, are they good in the cold if i go icefishing ? I would be using a heated ice shack-once it warmed up. I could put a dog bed down. Are pits ok in close quarters ? Im also not sure what her reaction is gonna be as i drive way from its home. I was thinking of getting a dog awhile back-but been too busy this summer. Lots of time now. Be nice to have a friend & let people be aware there is someone home if im gone. Im use to Labs & German Shepards & my ex's 2 ankle bit'r Chihuahua's. Advice would be welcomed. Thanks
Please no dogging Pits please. I know Montana & she has been wonderful with granddaughter & her friends over the years.
Randy/Maine

Comments

• boston1450
    Montana
    Randy/Maine
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I can't comment on the cold portion but pits in general are very flexible dogs. I've had a pup or two of them in my day and had no issues with riding in vehicles or being in close quarters as long as they trust you.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Pits by nature are not built for cold weather (short coat and typically, low body fat) so a jacket is advised as well as a bed if being exposed for longer periods. And as Cody mentioned, close quarters is definitely a trust thing. As for the reaction to being with just you as you drive from the original home.... Depends on how comfortable you are with each other. I recommend a few of it's favorite items in the vehicle and if at all possible, take it for a short trip to a park with your daughter to ease the transition.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    They are like any other dog some love cold and have no issues others are very cold blooded. My dogs have been for the most part great lap dogs. My dog Chester in the picture is very friendly to people but will have no problem get down to business if need be. Be very wary around other animals. Some will not flip the switch, others will in an instant and when that switch gets flipped you now have a whole different dog. He will not mess with another dog for the most part BUT if another dog EVEN in the faintest thinks it is going to dominate him that switch is flipped and VERY BAD THINGS happen RIGHT NOW !! You have been around this dog you will know better than me.

Reach out via PM and we can chat more. Lets just say my family has had this breeds a loooong time more than I have been alive.
  • boston1450
    edited October 2017
    Great feedback guys. I planned on a couple jackets. She may have one already also. I will not take it with me snowshoing or out in elements more than 5 mins tops on feet LOL. Great idea on the ride with daughter in vehicle. Montana is use to me visiting n thats it. Never took a Pit on a boat or vehicle. So great ideas. Daughter said she loves rides & would love the boat. They had 2 dogs n Kitta passed on.... Now should i contack my insurance ? I also told daughter before i would take her to get all Vet records. I want to register her at town office the day i get her & establish a Vet here.... Daughter & Granddaughter are saddened-but blesses im willing to take her
    EDIT
    i will know more tonight. Thanks
    Randy/Maine
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Great breed of dog. Very loyal and smart and strong. Like all terrier breeds. They were bred to kill or bait something. My wire fox terrier was the best dog with my little kids,but you could never trust his reaction around strange dogs. He was a show dog and the judges needed to see that aggression towards the other dogs because that is part of the Standard for the breed. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Yep back in the day they would face them off at the shows. I was not aware it was still practiced. Look up Bedlington terrier funny looking dog but you won't be laughing when that little puff ball gets a hold of you.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Any breed of canine can become aggressive if it perceives a threat..She sounds like she was brought up in a loving nurturing home,so other than a little separation anxiety,you should do well with her..also she knows you so that is a definate plus..Couldn't tell you anything about the ice fishing though..other than watching the cold on the pads of her paws...By the way..had a couple of Belgians that would take off for a romp in the snow and come back looking like harp seals,but they had the coats for extreme conditions like that!...
  • boston1450
    edited October 2017
    Thanks guys. Im going to spend some time this weekend at daughters n go for ride with dog & see how things go. She has 2-3 jackets n tons of stuff
    Randy/Maine
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    It is nice of you to do this for your daughter. You have a big heart. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”