Polk Audio DSW MicroPRO™ 4000 blown amp

My sub has been out of commission for quite some time. I took it to a repair shop and after a few weeks of diagnosis they said the problem is in a proprietary board. Polk no longer sells replacement plate amps. Is the Dayton Audio SPA1000 a viable replacement or should I cut my losses and move to another sub? If I should move on, what is a good sub around the $500 mark?

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Not entirely sure of the DSW-MP4K's amp dimensions but if the SPA-1000 is the same, then by all means, run with it. But you will lose the built in room correction.

If the SPA-1000 won't work (don't start cutting as you ultimately end up with a bigger headache than it is worth)...then I would suggest the SVS Outlet:
    https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/outlet-sub
    "Scratch and dent" products. SVS has a 45 day trial period. If the sub is returned during that time, they verify that it is 100% and then resell it in their outlet with full warranty as well as their famous customer service.

Or if you can bump your budget a hair, there is always the HSU Research VTF-2 MK5...
    http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Wow thanks for the awesome help. I'll go pick up my sub and see if the SPA-1000 fits.

Yes i can bump my budget. Would the HSU be better than the PB-1000? Out of the three options, which is the best?

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2017
    Considering the cost of the Dayton amp and the fact that it may not sound the same after, I would get the HSU. The better of the two new options...and this is from someone who has owned both hsu and svs.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VanillaXtract
    VanillaXtract Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    That works for me. Is the HSU a big step down from the DSW4000? What would a comparable sub cost?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That works for me. Is the HSU a big step down from the DSW4000? What would a comparable sub cost?

No, I don’t think it’s a big step down. In some ways the HSU is better. It will go deeper and playlouder, it doesn’t have quite is much tech built it, and the sealed micropro MIGHT be a little tighter sounding.

The main thing you are paying for with the micropro is size and Best Buy. It takes money to get that much out of such a small box, and it takes money to sell at brick and mortar stores.

Overall I think the HSU is likely the better all around, but the micropro might be slightly better for a 2 channel system...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Splendid. I bought it used off a friend for $500 a few years ago, so I am feeling I got my money's worth out of it. I will go ahead and order the HSU. Thanks again for your help.