PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC...

Just picked it up today and will integrate it into my rig sometime tomorrow. This will be replacing all three of my disc sources as I will be going to a server based setup for my digital music. Anyone have experience with this DAC?
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    I've got one. Pretty happy with it. Don't have it hooked to a server. I pump digital ALAC files out of my iphone into it. I believe consolidation is a good thing and this DAC should work fine for that. I like the separate remote and can use as a preamp if needed.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I have one of each of the PS Audio PerfectWave DACS -- MK I, MK II, DirectStream.

I use a PS Audio Bridge I in each of these -- two are on my LAN, which includes a Synology NAS that I use for most of my listening.

The PS Audio Bridge I has a problem with gaps in playback, which are annoying, but not totally "disqualifying."

Because of the above problem, I intend to upgrade to the Bridge II, and if you plan to use a bridge, I advise you to use the Bridge II.

As far as the SQ of the MK II DAC is concerned, I think it is excellent. It was a very pronounced improvement over my Cambridge Audio Azur 840C, which had very good SQ.

One feature I value in my PerfectWave DACs is the variety of inputs. I use them all -- USB from my laptop, coax from my iPod docks, Toslink from my TV, I2S from my PerfectWave Transport, Ethernet from my LAN/NAS.

Happy listening! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Thanks for that Moose... just got it hooked up and running the audio out via USB on cheap USB cable to the balanced outs through the Pass X1. The sound quality is far better than any of the disc based playback devices I have now. As a result, they will all be going up for sale soon. The best part is that I can now enjoy my audio again while juggling the need to care for my son.

My turntable will also be getting the boot in favor of a more modest unit, as I can't justify 20k in gear just sitting around and looking pretty.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    I will get the PS Audio transport as soon as I find one in silver.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DSkip wrote: »
    Before you sell those, have you used them as transport only? To me, a CD transport + external DAC is still coming out slightly on top.

Maybe, but then factor in convenience of having all the music you own at your fingertips digitally....... = win
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    I also have the Oppo I can use for that porpose if needed

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited October 2017
    I will get the PS Audio transport as soon as I find one in silver.

Check with the music room (TMR) on the Gon, that’s where I recently picked up mine in silver ... factory refurb PWT approx 1K, with warranty

Also, about a year ago PS Audio had a fire sale on P10 AC regenerators ..I’m just wondering if something else is coming down the pike
    I know the P20 is coming out soon . . .
    With the DSD in full production, the PWD is out of date ... I predict another fire sale
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    I found a black one. I guess I could always place it on the HT side of the stack

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2017
    One thing I have found is that this thing will take even poorly recorded material and strip away some of that compressed feeling and really open up the soundstage as well as the dynamic range. It has also worked well with the REL S5 sub. I still don't really hear it at all, but the lower end really has a nice floor to it, which brings better definition and clarity to the rest of the spectrum.

Staging is so good that I have walked up to my center channel, thinking somehow it was on. Imaging is absolutely fantastic.

• GlennDog
    I have one of each of the PS Audio PerfectWave DACS -- MK I, MK II, DirectStream.

Not to derail, but .... please comment on the PWD vs the DSD

Does the DirectStream smoke the older versions? or just different? TY
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    GlennDog wrote: »

Not to derail, but .... please comment on the PWD vs the DSD

Does the DirectStream smoke the older versions? or just different? TY

I have each of the DACs in a totally different system in totally different environments, and I never did an A-to-B comparison of the DSD with either of the earlier versions.

The upgradable firmware of the DSD is definitely and advantage. Over the versions that have already been released I have experienced significant improvements -- albeit that it is often difficult for me to distinguish "different" from "better" in an objective way.

I do recall that when I installed the DSD, my wife and I both felt that the improvement was worth the investment, but I have to say that I am pleased with the performance of both the MK I and the MK II in my other systems.

Sorry that I can't be more definitive, but it has been awhile since I replaced the MK II with the DSD in my main system. As I said above, about all I can remember is that my wife and agreed that it was a sound (pun intended) investment! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• GlennDog
    Thanks Moose!

My PWT has made a great improvement in SQ (over my Oppo 105)
    Then I upgraded to a separate DAC, procured thru Skip.

I started with the entry level North Star Intenso, that sounded great. Then upgraded to the Supremo . . . very very nice SQ. Full, robust, wide sound stage. Deep base, too.
    I've only used it w/ redbook CDs, so far.

The Intenso never had a chance to break-in and the Supremo is breaking-in as I write this . . .
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Ummm its Bass Glenn and not the green, white, stripped or brown kind unless it Reeally good Bass.... o:)o:)
  • GlennDog
    220 ... 221... Whatever it takes… I hate auto correct
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Is the PST worth the price, assuming my disc days are behind me?

• GlennDog
    Is the PST worth the price, assuming my disc days are behind me?

Assuming PST equates to PS Audio Transport . . .
    Conventional acronym is PWT

Believe you me… It does get confusing!

All I can say is my PWT (PerfectWave Transport) experience is very limited but it was night and day difference over the Oppo,
    Long short, yes!
    I feel it was worth the 1K factory refurbished with one year warranty

Disclaimer: I’ve done nothing with it except spin Redbooks and she still being run-in
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12