CSi A6 popping at volume

Options
I've had an A6 for awhile now and it's been babied since day one. I recently added more speakers from the RTi series and have full 7.1 now so I wanted to test drive it a bit now that I have a home instead of an apartment and can really crank it up. I am very disappointed to find the center A6 popped and crackles like mad. I bought the speaker a couple years back and the receipt is long gone etc. Any suggestions? I've monkied with several settings but just can't seem to stop it. I'd have to have to buy a new center channel to match everything. I don't want the same issue but I have a matched set now. Thoughts?

Center: CSi A6
Front Surround: RTi8
Front Wide: RTi A3
Rear Surround: RTi A3
Sub: Rhythmik LV12R BM

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    What are you powering the rig with?

Did you re-run the calibration program at your new house?

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    What receiver are you powering them with? The more speakers you put on the receiver the less power is going to all of them.

Which means you are overtaxing the receiver trying to drive so many speakers. If you have a receiver that has preouts for all channels, then you can buy a separate amp of at least 200wpc @ 8ohms and you will be all set.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Like above, It sounds like a voice coil or two are blown when crackling is involved .
    But,...Take the woofers out of the cabinet and inspect the accordion looking disc behind the cone ( spider ) and see if one or two
    has become unglued. If one or both floats off the metal basket, Ilene's tacky glue will do the trick to fixing them.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    What receiver are you powering them with? The more speakers you put on the receiver the less power is going to all of them.

Which means you are overtaxing the receiver trying to drive so many speakers. If you have a receiver that has preouts for all channels, then you can buy a separate amp of at least 200wpc @ 8ohms and you will be all set.

8Ω center channel.
    Easy enough to drive.
    200w NOT REQUIRED.

And for the most part I agree but if running all 7 speakers off an entry level AVR, then there will be a much great potential for serious clipping...especially if the OP,
    I recently added more speakers from the RTi series and have full 7.1 now so I wanted to test drive it a bit now that I have a home instead of an apartment and can really crank it up.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    have You tried switching a different speaker to the center to see if it’s definitely that speaker?

Also, you don’t need 200wpc.
  • oilmanseo
    Options
    gah - sorry didn't specify AVR: Denon X4000. Also, I appeared to have fixed it by ramping up the crossover to 80K. You all have been very helpful. I'm still learning.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    even at full range it should not be popping
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    That would depend on how hot the dB level is set for the center.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Go into your receivers menu and set the center speaker channel levels to 0, if it isn't now or if you boosted it into the + zone previously.

Still, it shouldn't be doing pops like that unless something is amiss with it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Something ain't right...
    ditto! Never heard mine pop CRANKED! XO'd @ 80 w/100+watts per driver on tap.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tony M
    Options
    Sounds like you took the woofers out of the main sound being produced.

That center was designed to play loud and including lower frequencies as well as the highs.

Have you taken a woofer or two out to check the spiders attachment to the frame/s ? I have found a few manufacturers speakers where that has happened.
    4 screws and a quick look and feel might show the problem, might not. But man, 15 minutes.

Also , pushing lightly on each cone might show you about a frayed voice coil on one or two. That test takes seconds to check them out.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    "popping" meaning over excursion I would assume?

Geez guys any speaker fed loud enough deep bass will "pop"
  • Tony M
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    "popping" meaning over excursion I would assume?

Geez guys any speaker fed loud enough deep bass will "pop"

Have you ever heard a speaker cone that has a floating spider ?
    I have heard a quite a few and fixed them. Regluing the spiders brings the speaker back to life. You don't have to feed a loose cone much power at all before it starts to pop and scratch. You don't even have to feed the speaker bass at all.

Just a signal with the slightest power above a whisper will start the distortion. The more power the more chaos from the loose cone.