Power cable included.
xx751odbz41n.jpg
j1z4b3tzypdr.jpg

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2017
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2017
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    lightman1 wrote: »
    $2.49

You beat my highest bid by 17 cents. That just damn cruel. :(
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    (I think it may have been a shill bid)
  • mhardy6647
    It's an adorbs little DBT (sometimes known as the "poor man's Variac"). These can come in very handy for those folks who stumble across, say, a Marantz 8B that hasn't been turned on on five decades -- it can help make sure that magic smoke Saul packed inside of it stays where it belongs, instead of escaping in to the cold, hard reality of 2017 ;)

https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

muru7gg1iy6z.png
  • nooshinjohn
    I honestly have never heard of one. Looking at it, I thought the op was trying for humor here and went with it.

My apologies to the OP.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Ingenious design. I have used one before but couldn't wrap my head around it until Dr. Mark drew a picture.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ok did a quick Google search and still a bit confused... What and why please?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Dim bulb testers are used for the weak minded...if your bulb is dim, then you have a problem
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Employing a DBT is a gentle way to wake up a piece of vintage electronic equipment, and/or a safe way to probe for severe faults (e.g., shorted power transformer primary or secondary winding, HV rectifier or filter capacitors) in delicate equipment. These are extremely handy for vacuum tube components (amplifiers, etc.), be they hifi, musical instrument/PA, or (heh) even televisions.

I think the link I posted should explain the proper use of one. One needs a smattering of incandescent light bulbs. Since they're in series, if the component under test is drawing too much current, it'll light the bulb (which serves to limit juice getting to the component). If the components' in good working order, the bulb will glow faintly or not at all. The wattage of the bulb (i.e., the series resistance of the filament) can serve to limit the voltage to the component under test (even if all is well), thus allowing a controlled "fire up" of a long-dormant component.

Many folks would use a Variac (variable autoformer) for this, but the DBT is a simple, inexpensive (and quantized) way to accomplish more or less the same thing.

PS I 'borrowed' the diagram :)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited October 2017
    Thank you @mhardy6647 for the easy explanation. I've never seen one employed as a substitute for a variac
  • pitdogg2
    Yes once the incandescent bulb is extinct then what...
  • mhardy6647
    some of us -- ahem -- may have stocked up on certain wattages for that precise reason.
  • pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    some of us -- ahem -- may have stocked up on certain wattages for that precise reason.

What haven't you stocked up on you hoarder
  • mhardy6647
    Very few high-powered soiled state amplifiers here ;)
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Delirium, also known as acute confusional state, is an organically caused decline from a previously baseline level of mental function. It often has a fluctuating course, [clarification needed] attentional deficits, and disorganization of behavior. It typically involves other cognitive deficits, changes in arousal (hyperactive, hypoactive, or mixed), perceptual deficits, altered sleep-wake cycle, and psychotic features such as hallucinations and delusions. Delirium itself is not a disease, but rather a set of symptoms.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

Which ones?
  • mhardy6647
    lightman1 wrote: »

Which ones?

Note that I didn't say that there was none.

:)

If 100 wpc is "high powered", there're a few.

If it takes two hunnert watts per channel, just one, but it belongs to someone else!
    Like Blanche Dubois, I've always depended on the kindness of strangers :/
    (albeit not in quite the same way...)

36963474873_b243a3c6ae_b.jpgDSC_9702 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• pitdogg2
    Good god Doc put the ampzilla in play
  • mhardy6647
    I was gonna do it today but we're getting the killing freeze tonight so Mrs H & I were harvestin' 'n' stuff -- made another batch of 'mater sauce and she made monkey heads* for dinner. Plus, other fresh things were frozen for later consumption.

Yeah, I know -- part of it is fear... but tomorrow's looking like a good day to play upstairs...

* http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2348266#Comment_2348266

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Yep2 wrote: »
    $25/shipped to a member that will actually use it.
    Dang post office costs now-a-days! :*

That at no lie...shipping sux

Couple weeks ago I shipped the same item, same box size, to same place, in state not BFE 4"x4"x6"

FedeX/UPS was $24

2Days later shipped 2nd one via USPS $9.85

Amazon and others are killing the little guy consumer shippers UPS/FedEx...fookem going back to USPS for little items
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a