What is a good price for a pair of RT800?

Options
Hello group. I am looking for some advice. I have come across some RT800 for $75. I was wondering what they should go for and if this is a good price?

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    If they are in good shape, that's a very good price. I don't see them for sale around here a lot, but they are usually in the $100-150 range if they are in nice condition.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Rt800 speakers new where $799 for a pair.
    Excellent shape pair should go for around $250.00 or so. For $75 for a pair why would you even ask?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    If they are in good shape, that's a very good price. I don't see them for sale around here a lot, but they are usually in the $100-150 range if they are in nice condition.

Hello Jimbo18,

Thanks for the input. I found them on ebay and I just now paid $70 for them. Hopefully they are in good shape when I get them home on Friday. Friday is going to be very busy where I pick up a cousin, get a set of monitor 10s, get a set of RT800, and then get a PSW505 sub on my way to get my mom and his mom at JFK airport. I then return the cousin and his mom and then get home. That will be approximately 476 miles of driving according to mapquest with all those stops with the possibility of one other stop for a sc400i

I understand that the best matching center channel would be a cs400. I wanted to ask you if you would (1) purchase a cs400i or csi40 in place of a cs400 (2) make do with what you have (other center channels in your possesion) until you find a suitable cs400 (3) option would be to a get a set of RT speakers with a separate power source. I recall somebody stating that the last option would be better where he went as far as wondering how great a set of RT55 would be by placing them on their sides with the tweeters in the middle, using a 2 channel amp wired with y splitters in a way that I assume was bridging it into mono. I am not well versed in this area and have no idea how its done but I would think that you can't do this just to any power source (receiver/amp) and it would end up being more costly. I have placed the two RT600 in this mannerand it doesnt bother me how it looks. I have come across many speakers in the RT/RTxxi family like rt15, rt25, rt35 and a low cost receiver more easily than a cs400.

So far, options for the HT system, I own a set of RT800, RT600, RT400 and a Polk PSW505. I have the set of RT600, I will be getting the set of RT800 on Friday, and hope to get the RT400 in my possesion soon.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Rt800 speakers new where $799 for a pair.
    Excellent shape pair should go for around $250.00 or so. For $75 for a pair why would you even ask?

Hello mantis,

Thanks for your input. Music is a passion of mine. I have some knowledge of music and equipment when it comes to DJing, having done it primarily as a hobby for over 30 years. I have not owned any kind of a home system for over 30 years. So I am new to the home stereo equipment shopping and all that it involves when it comes to all the complexities to consider for ones decision making, I joined this forum with the hopes to gain some knowledge and be able to make informed decisions. So to answer your question "why would you even ask?". First the speakers to be considerred are on ebay and and I dont know their true condition. What is good condition for one person may be garbage to another. I have no idea what they sold for new and what they are going for. I tried looking this up, but I wasn't successful. So I now have and idea of what they go for and if this is a good deal thanks to you and Jimbo18.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    RT800's for fronts and RT600's or even RT400's for rears or sides works well. A CS400 or CS350 will make for a nice system. Even a CS245 will do until you find a bigger center.

If you have a center, even if it's from a different speaker line, I would use that until you can find one that matches the other speakers, like those mentioned above.

Sounds like you have the speaker "bug". Depending on how you amplify them, more speakers will not make the system sound better. A good 5.1 system is generally the best if you only have an AVR driving them.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    RT800's for fronts and RT600's or even RT400's for rears or sides works well. A CS400 or CS350 will make for a nice system. Even a CS245 will do until you find a bigger center.

If you have a center, even if it's from a different speaker line, I would use that until you can find one that matches the other speakers, like those mentioned above.

Sounds like you have the speaker "bug". Depending on how you amplify them, more speakers will not make the system sound better. A good 5.1 system is generally the best if you only have an AVR driving them.

Hello Jimbo18,

Thanks for your input. Yes, the bug has got me hard. I have been purchasing a few things here and there and I plan on getting some more. I have come across some sets of monitor 5 and and 5jr amongs others that their model # slips my mind at the present time.

I wanted to ask you, is there a particular 5.1 receiver that I should be looking out for? I presently have a Sony STR DE 845 connected, which is doing the job for now. I aslo have a Pioneer VSX 521 that has HDMI hook ups which I am yet to tryout and I have a Yamaha RX V793 that shuts off as soon as you turn it on.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options

So you are reccomending the CS400I? I then misunderstood, I thought that by saying "A CS400 or CS350 will make for a nice system. Even a CS245" would omit the CS400I.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I have the CS400i paired with RT800i's in my home theater and love the sound. I was saying that I would recommend the CS400i, but if you can't find one, the CS245i would do until you find it.

And to your other question, I used to own that same Sony receiver and liked it. I also used to own a Pioneer VSX 821, similar to your model, and again it wasn't bad, but there are a lot better options out there.

Most people on here have more experience than I do, and most of their recommendations for an AVR seem to be Marantz, Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Aventage models. Search for the site for those brands and you will find plenty of reading.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    I have the CS400i paired with RT800i's in my home theater and love the sound. I was saying that I would recommend the CS400i, but if you can't find one, the CS245i would do until you find it.

And to your other question, I used to own that same Sony receiver and liked it. I also used to own a Pioneer VSX 821, similar to your model, and again it wasn't bad, but there are a lot better options out there.

Most people on here have more experience than I do, and most of their recommendations for an AVR seem to be Marantz, Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Aventage models. Search for the site for those brands and you will find plenty of reading.

Hello Jimbo18,

Thanks for your input. Yes I understand that you have the CS400i paired with the RT800i, but I don't have the RT800i or any i series speakers, I have the RT series RT800, RT600 and the RT400. So, is the CS400i OK to pair with the RT800, RT600 and the RT400? I have found deals for the CS400i where one includes a pair of FX300i for $100 and another deal for a little rough CS400i that includes a a pair FX500i for 90. I haven't tried getting them for less, but I rather try to get just the center
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    OOPS, I meant to say another deal for a little rough CSi40 that includes a a pair FX500i for 90.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    OOPS, I meant to say another deal for a little rough CSi40 that includes a a pair FX500i for 90.

Hello Dskip,

Thanks for the input.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Run and get that deal with the center and surrounds.
    You can hang the surrounds in places you can't hang your other surrounds.
    The price is great for the CSi40 and you get those surrounds for free basically.
    I have that model of surrounds hanging up even with my couch and LOVE how they sound for the rear effects!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The regular and i version are all but identical. There are minor changes but not enough to notice any audible difference.

Agree with this. Don't fixate on the "i" versions. The tweeters are what you want to match. The tweeter in CS400 or CS400i will match your RT800's. The CSi40 is similar, but a slightly different tweeter than the RT800's. The only real difference between the "i" versions and the non-"i" versions are the color of the midwoofers. The "i" versions used a blue-ish color speaker cone instead of the grey/black cone in the non-"i" versions.

That deal on the CS400i and the FX500i is KILLER! The FX500i's are worth double that price for the set! JUMP on it.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Run and get that deal with the center and surrounds.
    You can hang the surrounds in places you can't hang your other surrounds.
    The price is great for the CSi40 and you get those surrounds for free basically.
    I have that model of surrounds hanging up even with my couch and LOVE how they sound for the rear effects!

Hello Tony M,

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. Now to try and get a hold of them. Sometimes you find a great deal but the person never responds.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    The regular and i version are all but identical. There are minor changes but not enough to notice any audible difference.

Agree with this. Don't fixate on the "i" versions. The tweeters are what you want to match. The tweeter in CS400 or CS400i will match your RT800's. The CSi40 is similar, but a slightly different tweeter than the RT800's. The only real difference between the "i" versions and the non-"i" versions are the color of the midwoofers. The "i" versions used a blue-ish color speaker cone instead of the grey/black cone in the non-"i" versions.

That deal on the CS400i and the FX500i is KILLER! The FX500i's are worth double that price for the set! JUMP on it.

Hello scubalab,

Thanks for your response. The deal for the FX500 is for a rough csi40. I mistakenly put cs400i and wasn' able to correct it in time when I realized the error.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Ah, I see. I'd pick up both deals... sell the FX300i's and the CSi40. You'd probably be able to turn them around on eBay and get most of your money back, and have the FX500i's and the CS400i for your system with little net investment.

The FX500's were much more robust than the FX300's in that line. I had the RT800i's in my HT a while back and used a CS40i. Although it wasn't a perfect sonic match for the 800's, I couldn't tell otherwise. I preferred the cleaner look of the 40 over the 400.

Best of luck. The pursuit is half the fun!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    The Cs400 or Cs400i are beast & sound soooo good
    Randy/Maine
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited October 2017
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    The Cs400 or Cs400i are beast & sound soooo good

Hello boston1450.

Thanks for your input. Wow, that's a nice bass, Music and fishing are amongst my biggest passions.
  • boston1450
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello.... That one "broke" the LLBean pole :) Had QUITE this summer too, catching SmallMouth on the Penobscot River looking out over land owned by the Native Indians in northern Maine this summer. Wish i had someone video'n it.... Up n out of the water Picture Perfect catches. Gearing up for ice fishing now. Hunting & fishing & survival in the woods is my hobby ...... I bought the Cs400 on Ebay & i received a Cs400i & when i opened the box my mouth dropped looking at the size. Hooked it up WOW sounded excellent. Got great advice here - their great people here. I think any suggestions here is wonderful
    Randy/Maine
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello boston1450,

Thanks for the input. I am very happy for you. I usually keep a rod and a tackle bag in my car so I can cast a line as often as I get an opportunity. But not this year due to my knee. I just got surgery almost two weeks now and hope to be out there at it nexr year. Godd luck with the fishing and hunting. Me personally, I hate the cold!!! I have been looking for a center lately. Found a few cs400i and a csi40 but they are not responding. I found a CS-350LS center for $150. But I dont think I want to go that high and I have read that the cs400 is better. Will try to see how low they will go
  • boston1450
    edited October 2017
    Options
    id love to hear the Cs350 a well regarded center. I think i paid 125 shipped to me iirc from Ebay for Cs400i mint original box - before all the new charges ya get nowwa days. Most come up often. So dont jump to quick
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Also. Hope you a speedy recovery
    Randy/Maine
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks Boston1450,

Yes, Rome wasn't built in one day so patience grasshopper. LOL I don't know if your old enough to recognize the Kung Fu reference, but I need to be patient and things will work them self out.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had a CS350 and I've seen and heard a CS400 and I'd say it would give the CS400 or 40 a run for the money. 4 woofers instead of 2 might give more radiating surface for the bass and the mids , well smaller is better sometimes.

The CS350 is a nicer lower profile design and can even be flipped upside down for an angled throw from below a TV. If you see how big a CS350 is in person, you'll get what I just said.

They are all great centers and even the CS250 isn't bad either, but shoot for the big boys if you can but don't pass up a deal on the smaller versions until you see another time to go bigger.

I progressed up to the CS1000P center. Now we're talking a whole other level of size and powerful amplified sound output. These centers go for 200+ . I drove 180 miles one-way and paid 200.00 for mine. Well worth the trip. I met a fellow awesome club Polk member and got to hear some audio amps and speakers I doubt I'll ever be able to afford unless I downsize my collection ALOT. We both carried the CS1000P down a flight of steps together and out to my car. It's big. Really BIG ! I just looked up the specs. It 60 lbs. of awesomeness !
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • boston1450
    Options
    i have the Cs1000p & its a Vnice center with the subs on each end....IMO if your into HT i would stay away from the Cs1000p & go with a decent CC & a much better sub. Money well spent.... I bought the Cs1000p & it replaced my 400i. I had two 15 or 18 inch subs that got used 5 times. Wife hated them & honstly i should of went SVS & for smaller it probably would have sounded much better with the 400i.. I am very happy with the Cs1000p's. Room issue & overall great performer
    Randy/Maine