PSW-303 volume knob.

Options
obieone
obieone Posts: 5,077
edited June 2008 in Troubleshooting
Recently, the volume knob on my 303 has started making crackling noises when I adjust it. Long story short, the recpt. I have has the serial # to the origianl 303 I bought, that Tweeter was kind enough to exchange, after it blew. Some sort of short that was taking the 1.3a fuse out.
Anyhoo, is/ are the volume cntrls propietary? Or will any ratshack pot do the trick.?
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
Post edited by obieone on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Hello,
    It is possible the noisy potentiometer could be cured by using an aerosol electronic clearer. are you fairly comfortable with taking the back off of the sub-woofer (after removing the AC power cord, of course) and cleaning out the wiper on the control?
    Regards, Ken
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2008
    Options
    The volume control is one of two types, linear or audio taper.
    Then there are multiple values for each in terms of their resistance.

But not proprietary. The shape may be a challenge.
  • obieone
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Thanks Ken & Shin. I'll try the electronic clnr, and then POSSIBLY try to read the values of the pot(provided it's not soldered)
  • Boomer1950
    Options
    I had this same problem with my volume knob - horrible crackling when I touched it. I was preparing to take the back off to use electronic cleaner, when I noticed how dusty the speaker connections were on the back of my sub (Polk PSW12). After blowing off those connections I touched the volume knob to turn it down. No crackling. I thought I must have turned it off. Nope. Fixed it. Apparently the dust was shorting out the speaker connections somehow & an adjustment to the volume made the crackling sound. Volume knob works perfectly for the first time in a long while.

Maybe I should dust more often...
  • obieone
    edited October 2017
    Options
    HOW did this thread survive?

vk04x460k4nl.jpg