ls50 pop

I just hooked up a more powerful receiver to my ls50s than I'd had previously. I was amazed at the forceful mid bass that was coming out of the speakers. Good clean bass, A little more though..... and one of the woofers on the right speaker sounded like it "bottomed out" out for lack a better term. Sort of a popping sound with each drum beat. I've heard this in cheaper speakers that I've overdriven, I didn't feel like I pushed these that far though. Do I just have some drivers that need to be replaced? Or do I just need to turn it down?
Thanks so much
Lee

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    More powerful doesn't mean better.

Is this a new or vintage 2 channel receiver or an AVR?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I previously had the ls50s hooked up to a sony ht receiver. I just hooked them up to an older Yamaha receiver (wouldn't call it vintage) But it clearly has more power. The speakers came alive and I hadn't heard them sound this good....until one of the drivers started bottoming out. Lot of dial left on the receiver. Nowhere near 11.
  • F1nut
    The Yamaha may have a problem or the driver may have a problem. Try switching the drivers to see if the problem follows.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ok, it's a Yamaha htr-6130. Not that impressive when you look at the specs but it still has more kick than the sony it was connected to. I'm convinced that the sound is over excursion and not any sort of clipping from the amplifier. I guess my question is.... could the age of the drivers make over excursion easier? Would fresh drivers fix the problem?
  • F1nut
    That's an AVR with 0.41dB of headroom, which is pitiful.

Anyway, you need to do some investigating. As I stated, swap the drivers to see if the problem follows. Also, have you checked the settings in the AVR?

President of Club Polk

• I'm going to swap right and left to see what happens and fiddle with the controls. I have a gfa-555 downstairs I can hook them up to for testing. It hasn't made the ls90s pop but I'm certain the 90s can take much more power.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    As F1 has pointed out, there is no way your Yamaha has "too much power" for a pair of LS50 speakers. With any issue like this, isolation is the first diagnostic step. Swapping speakers is a good fist step. If the problem moves to the other speaker, then it's upstream. If it stays, then it's in the speaker somewhere (driver or crossover).
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Binkstir wrote: »
    I'm going to swap right and left to see what happens and fiddle with the controls. I have a gfa-555 downstairs I can hook them up to for testing. It hasn't made the ls90s pop but I'm certain the 90s can take much more power.

You have a GFA-555, why isn't it in a permanent spot with those speakers ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    tonyb wrote: »
    Binkstir wrote: »
    I'm going to swap right and left to see what happens and fiddle with the controls. I have a gfa-555 downstairs I can hook them up to for testing. It hasn't made the ls90s pop but I'm certain the 90s can take much more power.

You have a GFA-555, why isn't it in a permanent spot with those speakers ?

Maybe he’s got it hooked up to a pair of LS90s as his second rig? He only stated 90s so I’m not sure exactly what he meant by it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    He stated that it was being used on the ls90 set yes