Vinyl Death Grip!!!

123457»

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,891
    Tony,

That's a great idea, I have an extra one with no collet to try it on..
  • Toolfan66
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    I like the sound of powdered graphite to lube the threads. It might stop the abrupt stop action I read about above.

I've used it on a lot of door locks and even a car door lock. It made the key to lock action sooooo smooth. I only had to do it once to each lock over the years to. It seems to last forever.

Teflon grease works well also.

That's a great idea as well, I will look into them..

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    I like the sound of powdered graphite to lube the threads. It might stop the abrupt stop action I read about above.

I've used it on a lot of door locks and even a car door lock. It made the key to lock action sooooo smooth. I only had to do it once to each lock over the years to. It seems to last forever.

In my locksmithing grease of any kind was frowned upon in car and door locks. Picks up dirt and brass shavings.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

In my locksmithing grease of any kind was frowned upon in car and door locks. Picks up dirt and brass shavings.

I can understand brass shavings getting caught in grease. That is what wears down main crank bearing and other engine parts and bearings.

How about the powdered graphite ?

I don't think, with the fine machining of these parts, the limited use and the very clean environments these clamps will be used in, will grease or graphite powder still pose much of a threat ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    Larry I'm pretty certain did use supergrease on it somewhere. Powdered graphite is just slick as can be, now migrating down to the record i have no idea on that aspect.
    Powdered graphite is the proper lock lubricate
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    It seems, if my bad memory is working correctly, that powdered graphite will spread like dust and it will stain badly.
  • Toolfan66
    kharp1 wrote: »
    It seems, if my bad memory is working correctly, that powdered graphite will spread like dust and it will stain badly.

Yeah I was thinking about that last night, it's been a long time since I used it, and I mean a very long time but yeah if I recall it might not be the best idea..
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    I received my VDG last night. Is there something I need to be careful when using to prevent a lockup ?

If if does lock up what has to be done to unlock it ?

I have the Clear Audio Clamp that is similar to VDG with collaret and have not had any lock up issues.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Tony M
    edited October 2017

I was thinking of using it VERY sparingly. Not flooding it. I too remember how it would stick to a key at first. But that was from BLASTING the lock opening. After wiping the keys off, I don't remember to much more issues. All my locks are still working great and it's been many, many years ago. No residue for years and years since the first day or so.

I would hate for the powder to ruin a coveted album label though. I bet it would be a pain to remove. Also if the powder got on the spindle, the clamp wouldn't stick to it at all...

I have some and will try it though. The first few albums won't be any 180 gramers for sure.

I've used candle wax on window slide slots on the sides to wonderful success. Maybe candle wax. But maybe the heat from a TT might melt that... ? I still feel a lubricant will help.
  • kharp1
    It's worth a try...What's the worst that can happen? That's my motto.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    I am talking off the top of my head, but I don't think any kind of lube will solve the issue. Joe, despite his short comings, was an extremely intelligent person and if he couldn't come up with a fix I doubt there is one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    F1nut wrote: »
    I am talking off the top of my head, but I don't think any kind of lube will solve the issue. Joe, despite his short comings, was an extremely intelligent person and if he couldn't come up with a fix I doubt there is one.

Poppycock! Did anyone consult Chuck Norris?
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2017

I've used candle wax on window slide slots on the sides to wonderful success. Maybe candle wax. But maybe the heat from a TT might melt that... ? I still feel a lubricant will help.
    If heat from the TT is going to melt candle wax you have bigger problems.....

I'd leave well enough alone
  • Tony M
    Got my " Vinyl death grip " tonight.
    BEAUTIFUL work of art !!
    The mechanism seems to work VERY SMOOTH and precise. GREAT weight to it also. I've yet to use it but I think it could be used as a weight just by itself. NICE.
    LARRY...GREAT WORKMANSHIP ...as ALWAYS !!!
    Thanks
  • Tony M

Poppycock! Did anyone consult Chuck Norris?

Or MacGyver ?
  • Tony M
    I don't see a need for any lube now as the mechanism is silky smooth with no perceived friction of the threading at all. Super smooth !!! ALREADY. I'll just try to keep it in a window between tight on the spindle and loose enough to lift it off.
    Again, super smooth action !
    Nice job Larry !
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Guess I've lead a charmed existence with Joe's clamp. Hundreds of LP's played with it and never anything approaching a lock up.

This is my experience as well. Between me and my son, hundreds of lps have been played. I never over tighten anything, even opening the clamp.
    Carl

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2017
    My experience with the VDG has been excellent! The look and feel of a precision device, superior quality build.
    Carl

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    I couldn't agree more, Carl. Larry has done a masterful job. The difference in "feel" is there's no soft landing (about 1/8 turn with resistance with "The Clamp") as the VDG reaches its stop and flattens the LP over a shim. This is not a bad thing, just a different thing.

Assuming both devices are mechanically identical and collet travel is the same, I can't see a reason for the tactile difference other than a difference (density, compressibility) in the rubber piece inside the VDG. I believe Joe placed it in "The Clamp" as a physical clue you were near "the end of the chain".

Having said all that, and now having experience with both devices, I still don't understand--other than over torquing in either direction--how the VDG could "lock up". Difference between opening a well fitted door lock and a new, vacuum sealed jar of pickles? ;)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    Nurse Chapel was an air head.

Wasn't she Roddenberry's wife? (nudge-nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more!)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Woot!! It arrived :D
    jls70f4ehlxi.jpg
    va9wx5l2zwb3.jpg
    Not sure what the 3 spacers are for though...

One minor blemish, and the action is silky smooth. A top notch piece for sure. In my mind, it looks heavier than it is (not a complaint, just a surprising observation). I can't wait to get it on a real table (once I can afford it).

ahh, the CAT scan. Key to good QC acceptance testing of new product shipments.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Great job Larry! I was a little concerned about locking up but that has been put to bed.

Sonically I hear no difference with the similar Clearaudio clamp.

The VDG has 2 advantages over the CA clamp.

Bigger knob to get the platter spinning and a reduced interval between open and close.

I find getting the VDG to lock on to spindle with about the same effort as the CA.

THANKS AGAIN!
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Tony M
    Yup, here it is. Larry will know..LOL.
  • kharp1
    Someone asked if this clamp will fit on a Rega tt, does anyone here know the answer?

Thanks
  • Toolfan66
    I don't know of a table it won't fit..