SRT system?? whats it worth

OK, so i'm not very knowledgeable on all of this. I acquired a full SRT system from a relative. It had been sitting for a long time so I brought it in to a local speaker shop (Midwest speaker repair) and had them go through each cabinet. They said it would be 530 to get everything in tip top shape. The system is the huge center channel, the two giant towers and both rear speakers (they have speakers on both sides). Also have the sound processer head unit. I also have an old sony mobile es receiver for it STR-DA333ES

So what the hell is the system worth? I would imagine its worth repairing. I would have to do so if selling either way. the cabinets are in good shape. any ideas? anyone interested in them?

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    OK so you're going to be hit with a bunch of people telling you that you're not allowed to post for sale things until you reach 100 posts, so let's get that out of the way. :)
    +/- $500 to bring them up to tip top shape is probably worth it. Why not just keep them? Stick around, there are plenty of people here who will help you get the most out of those amazing speakers.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    lightman1 wrote: »
    $18

Aren't you supposed to be changing my lights?!!?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    $36... Yeah, I'm a high roller...
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I would buy these, but only if they came with Matt's lab coat.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2017
    I need to hear them work before I would judge their value . To many amps, speakers and tweeters involved. I see they have the control module. And also...do they have the remote ? Didn't it come with a remote ?

Watch out for a CL robber too. Somebody could be just waiting to ambush someone bring 1500 + cash to a strange location. Check them out thoroughly before you go. I just saw a few videos of thugs using CL to get cash. The people bringing the cash, sometimes don't get to go back home.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, the OP is just looking for opinions on whether or not it's worth $530 to get them repaired. I think he just put the thread in the wrong location. I've been wrong before though.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Tony M
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, the OP is just looking for opinions on whether or not it's worth $530 to get them repaired. I think he just put the thread in the wrong location. I've been wrong before though.

I feel he's asking 2 questions. The value of a working set ....and if bought, would 530 added on the sellers price be recoupable for a flip down the road.

I was thinking about what if nothing works.. I've been told , yea it works and then get home and no it doesn't work. I've never laid out a lot because I never could but...
    .. And if it's a ploy to draw in some cash carrying prey.
  • quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    He says right in the first sentence that he acquired a set. If he got them for free and would only need to invest 530 bucks to get them going it would be well worth the cost.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Tony M wrote: »

Watch out for a CL robber too. Somebody could be just waiting to ambush someone bring 1500 + cash to a strange location. Check them out thoroughly before you go. I just saw a few videos of thugs using CL to get cash. The people bringing the cash, sometimes don't get to go back home.

I have an "APP" for that......
  • pitdogg2
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Where's @Gatecrasher when you need him? He's the SRT expert.

Banned
  • Tony M
    Sorry, I didn't scroll to the very first post. I feel bad...

I thought I had. I always try to read the whole thread before making comments. It's been a while and I guess I'm still a little rusty .
  • mgraziano1975
    mgraziano1975 Posts: 23
    edited October 2018
    Someone local has these for $3,000 with all the speakers and control center, but without the remote. I wonder how this would compare to my LSi system with 15s, 9s, 7s, and the FX....
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Someone local has these for $3,000 with all the speakers and control center, but without the remote. I wonder how this would compare to my LSi system with 15s, 9s, 7s, and the FX....

Go listen and let us know! I imagine that they are pretty impressive, but consider what you can get from someone like SVS right now for that money...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704

The SRT system will blow the LSi rig and anything from SVS away.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    F1nut wrote: »
    Esavinon is the SRT king.....

+1 to that.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Here's the ad on CL. I would snag these if they were local!
    https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/very-rare-polk-srt-speakers/6694369322.html
    6fxftqfkjig1.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I like how owner outed the low ballers in his ad. I wonder how many sets were actually made? I have never seen any offered up this way. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    I'm not entirely on board with the premise that only 20 of these sets were ever assembled. No way, I call bluff.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    krazypolk wrote: »
    I'm not entirely on board with the premise that only 20 of these sets were ever assembled. No way, I call bluff.

I think there were more than 20, but they were produced in limited numbers.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    krazypolk wrote: »

I think there were more than 20, but they were produced in limited numbers.

Heck, In my limited travels I've personally seen 3 sets. And I don't get out much.
  • pitdogg2
    I believe it was less than 1000. They were very expensive as well.
  • rooftop59
    That set has been on Austin Craigslist for at LEAST three years. The seller clearly is NOT motivated...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    edited October 2018
    F1nut wrote: »

The SRT system will blow the LSi rig and anything from SVS away.

I don’t doubt it Jesse, it’s just that they are huge, and I would worry a bit about the controller lasting. But I am close to Austin, and if we buy a house with space and SAF for a big HT, I will be thinking hard about that set...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I interpreted the seller’s claim of “only 20~ sets in existence” to mean that there are only around 20 sets that are still in existence.

I agree with Dabutcher and do like how he called out the ridiculously low low-ballers out in the ad!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    There were more than 20 sets sold and there are more than 20 sets in existence today because the SRT King has at least that many.

Keep in mind that the SRT system came in many configurations. The one in the ad is the basic system. The full balls out system was north of $20k.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk