2 PSW10 vs PSW505

Options
MrHappyPants
MrHappyPants Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in Speakers
Hello Im looking for a HT Sub for about $300.. My Room is 10 x 11 I have Polk 50 Monitors Front//Polk CS1 center an YAMAHA RX-V365 Receiver.. With all that said I been looking at 2x PSW10 an the PSW505.. I've heard that 2 Subs our better then one?? Or should I just buy a PSW10 an get some Polk 30 monitors to finsh off my set ?
Post edited by MrHappyPants on

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Finish the fset for sure because its the most important in my opinion

get the 505 instead of 2 small subs as you can always add another 505 later
  • Reimer
    Reimer Posts: 53
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Finish the fset for sure because its the most important in my opinion

get the 505 instead of 2 small subs as you can always add another 505 later

I don't think you will need to add another 505 if you have one.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2010
    Options
    One big subs better than 2 small ones in the front and back
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Get a 505 and call it a day. It will outperform 2 PSW10's anyday. Plus setting up two subs can be a pain. Welcome to Club Polk.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • over50
    over50 Posts: 201
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I also agree get the 505. I just sold my psw10 and bought a psw505. The 505 is much better . I am very happy with it. I`m also trying web maSTER Kenneth Swauger recommendation on adjustments for my sub. So far i`m resisting the temptation to turn up the bass.
    Marantz SR 7007
    polkaudio RTi10
    polkaudio CSi A6
    polkaudio RTiA3
    B&K ST.3140 Power Amplifier
    HSU Research VTF2 MK3
    Vizio P65-C1
    Panasonic 605 blu ray
    Onkyo DS-A4 i-pod Dock
    Universal Remote
    BDI Icon 9429 TV Stand
  • MrHappyPants
    MrHappyPants Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the Help Guys..

over50 wrote: »
    I also agree get the 505. I just sold my psw10 and bought a psw505. The 505 is much better . I am very happy with it. I`m also trying web maSTER Kenneth Swauger recommendation on adjustments for my sub. So far i`m resisting the temptation to turn up the bass.

web maSTER Kenneth Swauger recommendation on adjustments for my sub!

Can someone give me a Link for that?
  • Pappy1
    Pappy1 Posts: 63
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the Help Guys..

web maSTER Kenneth Swauger recommendation on adjustments for my sub!

Can someone give me a Link for that?

Hi MrHappyPants!

I purchased a PSW 505 sub last month, largely due recommendations from the guys here at Club Polk, and am really pleased with it. I am also interested in what Kenneth Swauger is recommending!

Pappy1

AVR - Pioneer VSX 9040TXH
    Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW 505
    TV - Samsung HL-T6756W DLP
    BD - Panasonic DMP-BD605
    Cable - CableOne HD DVR
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor 70s
    Rears - Polk Audio Monitor 60s
  • Velocitydreamer
    Velocitydreamer Posts: 252
    edited July 2012
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk. Actually, two Polk PSW10's can sound quite good for music in a small room as you have.
    I have a spare bedroom setup with a pair of Monitor 50's, a CS1 and a pair of PSW10's.
    For HT, one PSW505 is better but you will likely have to turn it down.

I originally that combo in my master bedroom along with a PSW505 off the LFE. The PSW10's were connected to the Monitor 50 speakers. That setup worked well in a larger room.

I am considering going to the LSi Series. Just to make things clear, I have bass covered (see signature). I was wondering, should I go with the LSi25s or LSi15s for fronts? I don't care about money, I can always save what I need. I mostly watch movies, but I DO listen to music quite often. Most people seem to be suggesting the LSi15s since the 8" will help with the mids and I don't need bass. I don't care if there's more bass or less bass, I want the best sound, more bass is always welcome for my listening preferences, but if the mids in the 15 IS actually better, then I guess the 15s might win the bid. Since I see that you own both, which would you suggest, and why did you choose the 25s for fronts? Thanks a ton for any advice you can give.
    LivingRoom
    Source: HTPC
    Display: GT720 (on the wall)
    Receiver: HK AVR1700
    L/R: RS850 Signature
    Center: RSC200 Signature
    SS: Onix Rocket ELT DPA
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

2 Channel (in the making)
    Source: TBA
    Amplification: TBA (Integra 2.1 interim)
    Speakers: AV123 Onix Rocket Strata Mini
  • tonyw
    tonyw Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Hey guys, my names tony, new to polk audio, and I've been thru the psw 10 earlier last week and am now on the psw505, the psw10 was ok, pretty loud for a 50watt amp, anyway, needed somethin deeper, got the psw 505, and I was wondering, do any of you have an issue with port turbulence around the encloures fb!? Because mine sounds like there's a high pressure gas leak when anything I listen to goes around 30 or so HZ even though its supposed to reproduce down to 23 hz, any info or messages would be greatly appreciated
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2012
    Options
    You could always get the DSW Pro660WI on sale. Right now it is on sale for $399 but it has been on sale from new egg for $329 and $349.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290227
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2012
    Options
    tonyw wrote: »
    Hey guys, my names tony, new to polk audio, and I've been thru the psw 10 earlier last week and am now on the psw505, the psw10 was ok, pretty loud for a 50watt amp, anyway, needed somethin deeper, got the psw 505, and I was wondering, do any of you have an issue with port turbulence around the encloures fb!? Because mine sounds like there's a high pressure gas leak when anything I listen to goes around 30 or so HZ even though its supposed to reproduce down to 23 hz, any info or messages would be greatly appreciated

Tony,
    A few things. From your description it sounds like your bottoming out the sub. Check your settings and make sure your crossover is set correctly and your not using both the one in the sub and the one in the receiver.

Secondly, placement is key. Try moving the sub to different room positions and see what offers the best sound.
    Third....on your assumption that it does 23 hz, keep in mind your in-room response will always vary from a manufacturers specs, regardless of brand. Everyone's room is different and not a specialized chamber used to create some specs.

My guess is your settings are off and your over driving the sub too loud. Give us a rundown on the gear your using and what the current settings are and we can better help you.

There is the outside possibility it was damaged during shipping, a crack somewhere, a tear in the woofer, etc. Examine closely for any air leaks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • samfraser
    samfraser Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    What Tony said, I had this problem as well, I let AVR control the sub and the turbulence issue disappeared.
    Yamaha RX-A710
    Monitor 70 Mains
    CS2 Center
    Monitor 40 Surrounds
    PSW505 Sub
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    I recently aquired two PSW10 subs and one PSW505, which I am yet to physically get, thinking I would need it due to reading so much negative feedback in the internet with many stating that one 12" sub is better than two 10" subs. Any input on one 12" vs. two 10" vs a combination of three.