PSB Imagine T2's...impressions.

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited October 2017 in Speakers
I have owned these now for several weeks and feel like I can communicate some impressions;
Build/asthetics: Beautiful finish. The "dark cherry" looks more like Rosewood to me. Very nicely done with high quality binding posts. At first, I didn't like the idea of the cloth over metal grills, but upon further inspection, the holes in the metal are very close together, and I don't think they impact on midrange/treble much, if at all. The cabinets are very slim, but widen in the rear. I did buy some 1.5" brass cones from OregonDV to replace the industrial looking included spikes, and to get a bit more height.

Sound: Initially the bass was a "holy smokes" moment, then I had to remind myself that I have been rolling with bookshelves for the last 8 years. Also, moving them more forward off the rear wall helped enormously. You need a good 20" at a minimum off the back wall if you're near corners. I settled in on 40" away from corners, 20" from rear wall.

Midrange and treble are extremely smooth and well integrated, some what laid-back, not quite as nice as the Harbeth's, but closer than anything else I've ever owned. I just don't think any manufacturer gets midrange/treble realism like Harbeth, at any price. These speakers are extremely easy to listen to for hours---zero listener fatique factor, but this can come off a bit as a "rounded off" sound lacking a bit of attack in the mid/highs. The lower mids and bass make up for it with a punchy, satisfying drive that I was looking for. Lots of energy and excitement that makes listening to rock/jazz/pop a ton of fun. This was something I was missing with the Harbeths. If you love power-chord rock, the T2's got your number.

As far as output capabilties, the T2's passed the "Enter Sandman" torture test with confidence. I "wailed" on them and they kept their composure. It amazes me how these goofy little 5.25" drivers can handle that sort of output without bottoming---but they do.

Overall: This was another roll of the dice purchase, as I have never heard PSB stuff, but I was relatively confident they would have that "Canadian" kind of sound balance you hear out of other brands I have enjoyed; Paradigm, Energy, Veritas, Athena, etc. Though much more sophisticated in overall balance and smoothness.

I'm pleased. They have the viceralness/slam/drive I was looking for, with 95% of the midrange/treble prowess of the Harbeth's. IMO, the slight trade-off in the mid/high's, to get at the impact in the mid/low's was a compromise that I'm completely satisfied with.

Associated Equipment: Parasound HCA-1500A amp; Benchmark DAC2 pre/DAC; Oppo BR as a transport for flac files, via USB hard drive. Kimber 8TCv.2 speaker cables; Kimber Hero IC's. DH Labs D-75 digtal coaxial cable from Oppo to Benchmark.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• steveinaz
    edited October 2017
    Addendum: Let me try to answer the question many have in regards to stepping up in tower speakers. What does a jump from the HOTLY contested $1000-$1500/pr towers to the $3500/pr get me?

I've owned 3 sets of towers in the $1000-$1500/pr zone, and these are my observations: Better integrated treble/midrange, with voices balanced better and "occupying" the upper midrange more than the treble. What does that mean? Lesser speakers (IMO) tend to push vocals more into the treble, giving them a bit of an unnatural tone---beamy, electronic kind of character; where a step up will give you more natural, real sounding vocals.

Bass cabinet resonance; the better build quality nets much better control of cabinet resonance, making bass much cleaner and tuneful.

These are the 2 most prominent factors I personally have experienced---whether it's worth the jump in price is your call. I think it is.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice write up Steve, glad your diggin' them. I'd imagine, on top of your comments, the overall size and scope of the musical playing field increased a good amount....which is a welcome thing in my book.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    I was a bit worried, as this was a sideways move from the Harbeth's. I'm glad I went for it.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Thanks for the write-up, I enjoyed it.
  • steveinaz
    I wish I had a dedicated audio room for these, as I think they would be magical out in the room farther.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I wish I had a dedicated audio room for these, as I think they would be magical out in the room farther.

Ha....time to move....again. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    NOOOOOOOOOO.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    When I had mine, I actually had a sub on them set to 35 HZ. Check out Rhythm of the heat from Peter Gabril and Stevie Ray Vaugh Tin pan alley on the T's. Also older Santana sounds wonderful on them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • steveinaz
    5 months later, and the PSB's have settled in nicely. I did end up bringing them out a little more; about 22" off the back wall. Just purchased a Parasound A21 amp, so I'm looking forward to hearing it on the Imagine T2's. I also went back to the rubber footers, and will get some granite pieces made to lift the speakers up about a 1" more. Prefer the solidity I get with the rubber feet.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Just curious Steve, why granite instead of something like butcher block? I know @DSkip isn't a big fan of granite. I don't know enough either way, just wondering...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • steveinaz
    I suppose butcher block would work, but I thought it might look hokey?
  • rooftop59
    I think that you might not like the resonance you get from granite. You could also just get solid hardwood and trim it out with one or two inch trim and stain it. I think that would look pretty sweet.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • steveinaz
    Cool, thanks. I'm having a look....