Anyone know anything about Powerstroke engines?

Options
2»

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    Those are the most common causes.

I just hope you don't have like a leak in the turbo or a head gasket or something.

The EGR cooler is always a possibility too...

It's the EGR cooler that's leaking internally. Which is weird because I haven't seen any white smoke coming out the exhaust. Well, I wasn't planning on deleting this truck, but I'm not going to pay to put that crap back on.
    -Cody

Apologies for being clairvoyant...Seems to be a bit of a common issue....just delete it if they'll do it...also see about getting the DPF deleted as well...might need a third party shop for that.

Big shout out to the government for mandating the installation of these.

Its not like it's a group 1 carcinogen or anything, right up there next to asbestos. :lol:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Definitely insightful conversation here, as I drive a GMC with a Duramax.

Found an interesting article and and reviews on kits

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1709-how-to-repair-cummins-5-9l-vacuum-pump-oil-leak/

https://dieselpowerup.com/duramax-lml-dpf-delete-kit/

exalted, please keep us updated...Thanks
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    One of the other problems that I inherited is a leaking injector onto the top of the engine. It had an oil leak that was recently fixed by the previous owner, but the shop didn't clean up the oil so I was looking at a pretty dirty engine anyway, but I digress...this was on me as it was obvious and I don't think the previous owner knew about it either.

The dealer gave me these part numbers when they were looking at the coolant:
    BC3Z 9229 a
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-MOTORCRAFT-OEM-PART-FUEL-SUPPLY-TUBE-KIT-CM5191-6-7L-DIESEL-SUPERDUTY-/281908372720?epid=671908707&hash=item41a30c64f0:g:72EAAOxy9eVRTMMd&vxp=mtr

BC3Z 9229 b
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FORD-6-7L-FUEL-INJECTOR-TUBE-AN-SEAL-KIT-B-BC3Z-9229-B-/112589734723?epid=1670857285&hash=item1a36df0343:g:po0AAOSwC6dZrbWY&vxp=mtr

I tried looking on youtube, but didn't see any videos about changing these parts out.

I'm not a mechanic, but I do pretty good with working on stuff. Is there any reason why this is something I wouldn't be able to tackle myself? I'm assuming no special tools or computer programming is needed? Also - what is the difference between the parts? There's only one line going to the injector.

I have heard that the injection lines are recommended to be replaced any time they are loosened or removed, maybe one has to be removed to get to the other so they want to replace both?

Thanks!
    Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is why we call them FURDS ;)
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • exalted512
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Its not like it's a group 1 carcinogen or anything, right up there next to asbestos. :lol:

Which is exactly why I'm getting rid of it so my truck doesn't have to breathe it.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Definitely insightful conversation here, as I drive a GMC with a Duramax.

Found an interesting article and and reviews on kits

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1709-how-to-repair-cummins-5-9l-vacuum-pump-oil-leak/

https://dieselpowerup.com/duramax-lml-dpf-delete-kit/

exalted, please keep us updated...Thanks

Took it to a shop in Conroe last night. $1950 out the door to delete the EGR cooler. It'll still have the piss tank, though. Maybe a job for another time. I'm going to have to do some more research tonight to see if I want to tackle the injector leak and the vacuum pump myself or just have them do it while it's in the shop. It'll be about the first time I've ever paid someone to work on a vehicle for me that I could likely do myself, but I'm so crunched for time right now I might have to bite the bullet.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    Options
    Just an honest bit of advice...let them do the injector...honestly...it requires a special tool to extract them.
    But there's about 15 different ways on youtube showing different ways to remove them without the special tool. I'm also not sure the injector has to be removed. Hopefully some more research will yield better answers.
    -Cody
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I always check YouTube University and decide if it’s something I can do myself. Unless there is substantial risk to life or property damage I would give it a try if I were in your shoes.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • RyderPhan
    Options
    don't know how it aplies to Diesels exactly but on gas engines you can add a resistor to the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor tricking the engine into thinking the ambient air temperature was colder then it really is, and on gas engines this cause the computer to add more fuel to compensate for the higer air density at cooler tempuratures.

Come to think of it you are most likely causing the injectors to open just a fraction of a second longer then normal which will add more fuel in general, but not in as huge of amount as replacing the injectors. This is kind of similar to the result that you achive by increasing the injector pump pressure on non-EFI engines, just like in Lem's article shown here. This kinda intruiges me :D , this is making sence from what i've learned about gas engines. If any one in here has added an aftermarket exhaust and lost any spool in their turbo due to reduced EGT's then this is a solution to add a small amount of fuel, raise the EGTs back to stock and really benefit from their new, free'er flowing exhaust. :cool:

Any chance you can get your truck to the drag strip and make a few runs. i'd like to see the numbers and compare them to others.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Uh...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Don't bring that kind of negativity in my thread. I only want responses of "oh, that's an easy fix"

Oh that's an easy fix! Yank out that powerjoke and replace it with a Cummins! Fummins' are cool!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus