Digital Music/Player?

I have been wanting to setup some sort of digital music source to just let run in the background.

Right now I am using an old I pod my daughter used to use. I'm not sure where to start in this.

I'll power it with a Yamaha R-S700, speakers are undetermined at this time, just some kind of digital audio player.

I have seen a few setups at peoples houses that are insanely cool but I am not wanting to go that far with this.

Just something to hit the play button and have hours of music to play.

Thanks all.

Comments

• sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    If you're looking for a music player, I picked up a sony walkman (NW-A35, not the walkman of old). I put my entire collection on the micro sd card (256Gb) in FLAC format with some DSD mixed in. The player supports up to 2TB of storage and has an insane 45 hour battery life. Pretty cool unit and I have a 3.5mm to RCA cord which worked out great for going places. Went to a party last week and the music selection was lame. Plugged in the walkman to their system and instant access to 4000~ songs.
    ksdoogo53h1p.jpg
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2017
    Dave:

You've got my phone number.... lets talk :smile:. I'm sure I can get you started with something quite basic, just need to know some info about your setup first.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Thanks for the info folks!!!!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited October 2017
    BOOM - Done!

Or, if you have a newer iPod and wifi access, lose the older ipod dock and ad a Chromecast Audio as mdaudioguy recommended. If no wifi access get a Bluetooth receiver. Nothing cooler than controlling the tunes from the palm of your hands!

wmfb0ramnthj.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I've got him covered. To start with he's going to use a External HDD (where all the music will be stored) connected to a laptop running a program of sorts (haven't got that setup but thinking free MediaMonkey), and then potentially using a DragonFly Black USB DAC to send the signal to the Pioneer.

We also talked about Ripping CD's (since all his music is still physical media), and then also subscription services such as Spotify, Rhapsody, Tidal and Pandora.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)