Stylus tracking force

Options
I finally got some tools to set up my TT, and most are self explanatory, but my tracking force scale just says "see manufacturer specs"... Well the table I have doesn't give that kind of spec, so I submit a question to the forum: what is the typical range of tracking force that you use for your head?

My initial weight before I got the scale was @ .865g (as measured by the scale) so I bumped it to 1.5g as I initially felt the head was too light but wanted to err on the side of caution before getting the scale.

So, recommendations?

Best Answer

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    What Cartridge do you have? my Sumiko Blue point # 2 needs 1.8 grams

just looking up the spec's for your's and see what it recommends.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD

Answers

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Knowing the table and cartridge would help.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    The tracking force is determined by the cartridge manufacturer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    True to the above, a Google search will probably pull it up.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Admittedly it's a POS ION TT, but it has a built in preamp, anti-skate and tracking force adjustment... But it's a start. As far as I can see, there's no spec for their head. I'll look again.

Ok had to download a PDF... Reading it and find the instructions say 0g tracking force!?? I can't believe that... It'll skip like a bad parolee! So what's a better idea?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Admittedly it's a POS ION TT.

Don't take this wrong but if you cherish your vinyl collection don't play it on that. Just saying.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Agree times infinity and beyond
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    Options
    It's the best thing I have in the house right now :#:'( I have several older pieces but none have any type of adjustment so...

Can it be that bad if I can adjust head angle, tracking force and anti-skate?? Until I can get the pro-ject carbon I have my eyes (but unfortunately not wallet) on, this will have to do.

So can I keep things intact till then with the table I have? I can get a better head/stylus for it (but not tone arm) and I have the VDG on the way so that will add table mass... And honestly, of all the tables I have, this sounds the quietest. Just need to dampen the platter with a ring of dynamat (it rings).

I digress... 0g is too little, so I need a more appropriate number. That's what I'm after.
  • FestYboy
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes because it was $40 nearly new... And everyone round here wants an arm and/or leg for a decent DUAL or Technics/JVC table (used!!!) I can't get anything that doesn't need work for under 2 bills. And I want to enjoy my vinyl, but don't have the budget for anything new or good used yet...
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    With the table (arm) you are using it just doesn't matter much! 1 to 1.75 grams will suffice. Until you upgrade (even a little) the difference just won't really matter alot. Not unlike putting 500.00 each Pirelli racing tires on a Toyota tercel, it just won't make a difference.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Like he said. I was gonna say try 1.5 to 1.75
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Unorthodox disc-washer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'd come unglued if i walked into my listening room and somebody had one of my records or Cd's or any of my stuff in their mouths

but DJ Spock in da' house

zpvi2asfrnyh.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Yes because it was $40 nearly new... And everyone round here wants an arm and/or leg for a decent DUAL or Technics/JVC table (used!!!) I can't get anything that doesn't need work for under 2 bills. And I want to enjoy my vinyl, but don't have the budget for anything new or good used yet...

A bit of advise from a guy that has been in the vinyl scene since the very early 60's...DO NOT under any circumstances spin your records on that table...Put up your records till you have enough coin to afford one that will not do damage..Playing them on the one you have will be as if you have mounted a roofing nail on the head and expected something wonderful to happen...ain't gonna happen dude...If ya want to enjoy your vinyl in the future..save your coin..purchase something decent that will treat your LP investment like a baby...
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Ok, so a member has PMed me and kindly offered up one of his tables for a very good price (I have to hold off for a few paychecks). In light of that, and absolutely NOT to knock the AT cart that's installed, since the stylus is the arguably most important component (the only thing actually touching the playing surface of the vinyl), what should I save my pennies for?
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Depends on how many penny's and what TT it will be installed on.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Pioneer PL-7... Number of pennies won't be known till after April 15... Could be "0" at that point :#
  • Msabot1
    Options
    PL7 is a good table if in good shape..Back in the day I ran upper level Shure cartridges on it with excellent results...Keep in mind that is mid 70's production so you should have it checked out...
  • Msabot1
    Options
    Another good one of that time period is a PL518...solid performer too..
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Understanding all of that, now poses the question if I'm better off waiting till I can get a pro-ject, or sticking with a vintage component and building on it... I have the same problems with my firearms purchases
  • Msabot1
    Options
    In my opinion...go with the Pro-Ject..but in the end it's all about what you want to do man..
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a used project or music hall. I picked up an MMF 7.1 for 300 bucks. That was a 1500$ table in its day. That table sounded so good for the money, it was my gateway drug to vinyl. I also had a MMF 5.1SE that was silly good. That one was a 300 bucker as well. For not a lot of coin you can buy a nice sounding table.

I'm a huge fan of music hall stuff (uses all project parts). They are very good for the money.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    There are good deals out there if you are patient. Or save your pennies and go modern. I purchased this vintage SL1350 for $110.00.

lek6drmzex1n.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Msabot1
    Options
    There are good deals out there if you are patient. Or save your pennies and go modern. I purchased this vintage SL1350 for $110.00.

lek6drmzex1n.jpg

Wasn't that model one of the last multi changers?...Memory is a bit fuzzy on that one...
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    You are correct. There was one more that followed this, the SL1650.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.