I did a thing today

It's rainy and windy (thanks Nate) so I decided to mess around with the rig a bit. I've got a Crown XLS 1502 bridged powering my sub and an Outlaw 5000 powering some Lsi15s with the DB woofer mod. Well, why not hook up the Crown up to the Lsi15 and see what happens, right? RIGHT? :D

So I did. I'm pleased to say that I don't like the Crown better. It's much a much noisier amp and easily loud enough to hear during silent parts of a song. What I did like though was, what I perceived as better control of the speakers. The bass is obviously MUCH better (sub is off) and it just seems like the impact is greater with the Crown. I'm attributing this to the difference between something like 525wpc for the Crown whereas the Outlaw is 180wpc. The soundstage, noise, overall performance of the speakers is worse with the Crown. Except for what I mentioned before.

So what kind of amp should I look for that gives me the best of both worlds? The guts to power these thirsty **** while maintaining or improving everything I like about the outlaw. Also, since this is part of my HT, is it going to be weird mixing amp 'species' or as long as levels are calibrated it won't matter much?

tl;dr - would like amp with more balls, where to look?

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Lots of options, what's your budget?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I haven't even thought about that part yet. This would probably be a down the road purchase because I am happy with the Outlaw for now. But when the upgrade bug hits or when I find a good deal, I want to be ready. I don't see myself spending more than $2k though and would probably stick closer to $1k.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I think you should pick up the Krell @hochpt21 has available
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    :o I hadn't even seen that! I wish I could justify it right now. I'm going to keep my eye on it for sure. I can't imagine anything better at that price.