Do you guys wash brand new vinyl?

If so why? I am just a lazy pos and want to spin my new Ella Louie LP's but dont want to break out my cheapo washer.

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2017
    I wash new vinyl. For one they stick it in a paper sleeve that sheds. Clean the record and insert it into a Mobile Fidelity inner sleeve. Keep your pinkys off the record and no cheetos or pizza rolls allowed while handling records.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Agreed. The release agent used on the records to free them from the molds will also grab dust and trap it inside those nasty paper sleeves. I have had some of the dirtiest styli after just one play of a new record.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Always
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited October 2017
    I clean them, put them into a new inner sleeve, then add an outter sleeve just to be fancy.

I usually toss the original sleeve unless it has artwork, etc on them.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Thanks guys. I kindda knew the answer, that's why I waited to play this 11 buck set. I should have bought more of them at the price. I didn't know I was in the hole then. These sets would have made great (cheap) gifts. So I will break out the mud maker and magic fluid. I am so sick that I want to buy more vinyl to justify the effort lol.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Yes! I have done this for a while. It does make a difference.
    Carl

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Absolutely. Every time.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Every time.

Tom

Tom, how often do you wash them between plays?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    As soon as I hear unwanted artifacts. In general, I'll clean every album side before I play it. New or not. I'm a big fan of vinyl but do not like the "nostalgia" of the clicks and pops. Cleaning with the RCM in conjunction with steam cleaning prior to each play reduces these artifacts by up to 95% IME. That's just me though, this would be overkill for most folks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    @treitz3 I am no purist, I got a TT because I had a somewhat small collection of LP's fossilizing it was a shame not to be able to play them. I hopefully never go that far into this "rabbit hole" unless I have the funds but if you love it, that is all that matters. GO FOR IT! I am a digital man because I am lazy lol.
  • I used to, before I got help with my OCD.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Do everybody wash their brand new underwear?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^ no! That's the cleanest they'll ever be!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    dromunds wrote: »
    Do everybody wash their brand new underwear?

Not until they can stand up by themselves.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    I even was my hands before and after peeing.

Yes, on the new vinyl.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I always clean my new ones, just don't trust them not doing it correctly!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD