Nobel Laureate Rainer Weiss -- my kind of guy! :-)

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
edited October 2017 in The Clubhouse
On the beginnings of his scientific career

"I was probably 12 or so, and the war was over, and the streets of New York, especially downtown New York, were loaded with stuff coming back as war surplus. And you'd go down to Cortland Street in New York, which no longer exists, it was near the World Trade Center. What would happen is you'd go here and you'd find a whole box full of transformers, another box full of capacitors, vacuum tubes, anything you could ever want — radar sets half disassembled. As a kid that was mind-boggling. You bought stuff for nothing at all. If you could lug it on the subway home, you got it. I started making all sorts of stuff, radio, hi-fi sets which didn't exist. And I was very lucky there was a movie theater in Brooklyn that had a fire behind the screen. If you went down there and unscrewed the loud speakers that were behind the screen you could have them. So I took them home, I got six or seven of them home, they were heavy, big loud speakers."

On his earliest audio creations

"I had a wonderful setup because three things were happening simultaneously: FM radio was coming in, good amplifier circuits were around, I mean I copied other people's circuits — what did I know. I built something and I would invite some of the emigres, because they were very interested in music, to come over and listen. We would hear the New York Philharmonic, and these people were just blown away. Imagine, they said '[music] like in the concert hall!' And so they wanted one. And so little by little this thing grew into a business. If I had not gone to college, I probably could have made some money.

But what got me to go to college was the problem that you raised: Everything was wonderful if you had an FM set, but vinyl wasn't there yet. It was shellac records that made that horrible [scratching], 78s. All you heard was that [gosh-darned] record scratch! So the thing was, how do you get rid of that? And that was a puzzle that was just beyond me. I couldn't do it. I didn't know enough math, I didn't know enough real electrical engineering, and effectively that drove me to college. Let's face it, I wanted to solve that problem."
https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-09-28/physicist-who-proved-einstein-right-started-tinkering-family-record-player

Fortunately, Hermon Hosmer Scott developed Dynaural noise suppression! :)

... but, you gotta admit, this guy Weiss has some cool toys to play with!

pcfvaq72deqq.png

Comments

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Yeah, I listened to his interview yesterday on NPR. I don't think he used the term "gosh darned"

Fascinating character he is.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    no, he sure didn't ;) I edited the transcript for Vanilla friendliness -- why stir up trouble where none exists, you know? :)

Speaking of his comments about 78s -- he sounds like he'd make a good 21st Century vinylista, doesn't he? :p

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wonder if his research team was called "The Veiss Squad" since "W" becomes "V" in German?
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. I love hearing the childhood stories of some of these great minds--how did that mind work before "Ah-cuh-DAY-mee-uh"?

Richard Feynman has his story with repairing tube radios as a kid in (Brooklyn? Queens?) New York, chronicled in the chapter "He Fixes Radios by Thinking" chapter from his memoir "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!", which I'll recommend as a terrific read to anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I wonder if his research team was called "The Veiss Squad" since "W" becomes "V" in German?

Ken. We love you, buddy -- but -- don't quit yer day job!

;)

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2017
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that. I love hearing the childhood stories of some of these great minds--how did that mind work before "Ah-cuh-DAY-mee-uh"?

Richard Feynman has his story with repairing tube radios as a kid in (Brooklyn? Queens?) New York, chronicled in the chapter "He Fixes Radios by Thinking" chapter from his memoir "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!", which I'll recommend as a terrific read to anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.
    Embarrassingly, I didn't remember the Feynman/radio connection :/

I concur (FWIW) with your assessment. It's a good book. (again FWIW:) I've read all of his autobiographies. Well... I can remember two -- the above-mentioned and What Do You Care What Other People Think?; was there a third?

I share two traits with Feynman, I think. Profound scientific curiosity and an overdeveloped ego... the only thing I lack: being a genius :p
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @mhardy6647,

Thanks for posting this.

What I find most remarkable about this story and its context is that Albert Einstein predicted many things from the theories he developed about a century ago, and today scientists are still working to prove or disprove Einstein's predictions -- many of which prove to be true.

"Gravitational waves?" I experience gravity as much as the other guy, but I have trouble getting my mind around gravitational waves passing through my body and everything else. Sure, I have a rudimentary understanding of light waves, sound waves and other forms of energy that "travel" in waves. But, how does a human being predict something like that from his prior theories in theoretical physics?

My point is, Einstein was a brilliant man, the level of whose intelligence is well beyond my ken -- although Ken Schwauger appears to have it well under control!

This gives me great confidence in our moderator! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am sure they are definitely "Weiss Guys" in the truest sense. There appear to be four forces at work in physics. The gravitational and electromagnetic forces which are relatively weak but can exert their effects over great distances. After all the sun is 93 million miles away but still controls Earth's orbit. Then there are the strong and weak forces called interactions which produce effects at ultra-small subatomic distances and seem to control nuclear interactions.
    There might be a 5th, but not at present.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ripples in space time...

not too hard to grok -- spin Anthem of the Sun, aoxomoxoa, and Live/Dead and it'll all make perfect sense :)

https://youtu.be/671AgW9xSiA

;)