My car has 324K miles on it :)

corticocortico Posts: 397
edited October 2017 in The Clubhouse
Ah! You have to love it. It's a MB 350TD 5 cylinders, Turbo Diesel from 1983... just had it repainted.

jysqwwi9v91y.jpg
jtasvtde0f1r.jpg
"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." Daniel Von Recklinghausen

Comments

• Nice! My wife would love that car.
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,393
    Sweet! Love those Merc battle wagons.
  • I take it you do not live where it snows?

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

Memes are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we need to lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,393
    I take it you do not live where it snows?

Rarely. We have two snow plows in town and they have cobwebs on them.
  • corticocortico Posts: 397
    edited October 2017
    I take it you do not live where it snows?

Not correct Mister :), I live in NY. Once the lock was frozen and I melted the ice with a pocket lighter haha... all metal!

Although, this car spent most of its life in a garage it was in need of some rust damage repair, specialty on the fenders.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sweet! Love those Merc battle wagons.
    Nice! My wife would love that car.

Yes, in the early 80s AC, economic Diesel engine, central looking and automated windows was a bit ahead down the road!

I had people offering money for it in several occasions :)
    The car as a funny history. It given to me by my father in law. I complemented the car so many times that he gave to me with the condition of never selling it and give it back to him, if no longuer wanted.

Anyone loved it, except my sister in law when a teen, used to feel embarrassed to be dropped of at school in such an uncool car compared to her bffs :)
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." Daniel Von Recklinghausen
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,315
    Old Mercedes were built like tanks, the new bigger ones ate well built but the little ones are more like Toyotas. Drive it until the wheels fall off.
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• My folks have an '84 model with over 200k, only down side is cost of parts to keep it on the road.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,200
    Nice! My wife would love that car.

HEL L, I would love to have it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,931
    324k ?? My x wife has that beat by a country mile. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,190
    Wow! 500k to go!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,340
    Those were great; my post-doc advisor's wife (who was a surgeon) had a '77 240D (sedan) that she put hundreds of thousands of miles on. She may still have it, for all I know.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,522
    Okay, but boy o boy, that is not THE MOST ATTRACTIVE car I’ve ever seen! I’m not sure I would have given a dollar for it brand new...sorry if that’s not cool.
    DollarDave wrote: »
    Okay, but boy o boy, that is not THE MOST ATTRACTIVE car I’ve ever seen! I’m not sure I would have given a dollar for it brand new...sorry if that’s not cool.

Haha, Totally cool, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

I have found this cool article on Bloomberg mag:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-12/the-vintage-mercedes-station-wagon-is-the-car-that-will-never-die
    edited October 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Those were great; my post-doc advisor's wife (who was a surgeon) had a '77 240D (sedan) that she put hundreds of thousands of miles on. She may still have it, for all I know.

There was a MB Taxi in Lisbon with the same engine made 1M Kilometers... there's also a story about a 1991 Mercedes Benz E-Class W124 which reached 3.4 million kilometers (2112662.05 miles). It reached it's first million km in 1997 without the need of changing anything else than oil and filters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_longevity
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,340
    I love the look of the Benz sedans (and wagon) of that era.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,387
    I prefer the Benz V-8's. Here is mine:

flbl7x5p84sb.jpg

^great color, its in pretty good shape!
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,333
    My car has 324 miles on it...ha! Hopefully it will last as long as yours currently is.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Power: Yamaha AV34
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
  • Yep2Yep2 Posts: 1,010
    I was in between vehicles (sold my GMC 4x4) & borrowed a '96 Chevy S10 V6 5-speed from my boss for about 2 weeks while I shopped for a new one.
    The S10 had 344,000 miles on the OD & ran like a top.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,078
    Cool stories for sure.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.