My car has 324K miles on it :)

cortico
cortico Posts: 587
edited October 2017 in The Clubhouse
Ah! You have to love it. It's a MB 350TD 5 cylinders, Turbo Diesel from 1983... just had it repainted.

jysqwwi9v91y.jpg
jtasvtde0f1r.jpg

Comments

• Nice! My wife would love that car.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Sweet! Love those Merc battle wagons.
  • I take it you do not live where it snows?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I take it you do not live where it snows?

Rarely. We have two snow plows in town and they have cobwebs on them.
  • cortico
    edited October 2017
    I take it you do not live where it snows?

Not correct Mister :), I live in NY. Once the lock was frozen and I melted the ice with a pocket lighter haha... all metal!

Although, this car spent most of its life in a garage it was in need of some rust damage repair, specialty on the fenders.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sweet! Love those Merc battle wagons.
    Nice! My wife would love that car.

Yes, in the early 80s AC, economic Diesel engine, central looking and automated windows was a bit ahead down the road!

I had people offering money for it in several occasions :)
    The car as a funny history. It given to me by my father in law. I complemented the car so many times that he gave to me with the condition of never selling it and give it back to him, if no longuer wanted.

Anyone loved it, except my sister in law when a teen, used to feel embarrassed to be dropped of at school in such an uncool car compared to her bffs :)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Old Mercedes were built like tanks, the new bigger ones ate well built but the little ones are more like Toyotas. Drive it until the wheels fall off.
  • My folks have an '84 model with over 200k, only down side is cost of parts to keep it on the road.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Nice! My wife would love that car.

HEL L, I would love to have it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    324k ?? My x wife has that beat by a country mile. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Wow! 500k to go!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Those were great; my post-doc advisor's wife (who was a surgeon) had a '77 240D (sedan) that she put hundreds of thousands of miles on. She may still have it, for all I know.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Okay, but boy o boy, that is not THE MOST ATTRACTIVE car I’ve ever seen! I’m not sure I would have given a dollar for it brand new...sorry if that’s not cool.
  • cortico
    DollarDave wrote: »
    Okay, but boy o boy, that is not THE MOST ATTRACTIVE car I’ve ever seen! I’m not sure I would have given a dollar for it brand new...sorry if that’s not cool.

Haha, Totally cool, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

I have found this cool article on Bloomberg mag:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-12/the-vintage-mercedes-station-wagon-is-the-car-that-will-never-die
  • cortico
    edited October 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Those were great; my post-doc advisor's wife (who was a surgeon) had a '77 240D (sedan) that she put hundreds of thousands of miles on. She may still have it, for all I know.

There was a MB Taxi in Lisbon with the same engine made 1M Kilometers... there's also a story about a 1991 Mercedes Benz E-Class W124 which reached 3.4 million kilometers (2112662.05 miles). It reached it's first million km in 1997 without the need of changing anything else than oil and filters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_longevity
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I love the look of the Benz sedans (and wagon) of that era.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I prefer the Benz V-8's. Here is mine:

flbl7x5p84sb.jpg
  • cortico

^great color, its in pretty good shape!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    My car has 324 miles on it...ha! Hopefully it will last as long as yours currently is.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Cool stories for sure.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • cortico
    edited April 2019
    Toke this guy out of winter store, one more oil change and were we go!
    y4xz7gxq2yrb.jpg
    tf200igfx1n2.jpeg
    mvzm21wj2i00.jpg
    i7c2om3hw6vb.jpg
    w28jmjipq24n.jpg
    ofiyekdvbzkv.jpg

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I think it is cool as heck if someone can keep a car running that long. We have a 2006 Honda Pilot with only 170k we hope to keep forever and has been a workhorse for sure!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Thats a really long time to drive the same vehicle. I usually trade mine in with under 35k on them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cortico
    edited April 2019
    Mercedes Benz assures 1,000,000 miles... :) it's a keeper!
    Many peolpe tried to pry it out of my hands with a $10,000 offer. lol. If car is in mint condition price can go up to $30,000
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    mantis wrote: »
    Thats a really long time to drive the same vehicle. I usually trade mine in with under 35k on them.
    What a waste of money IMO. Our family has 2 vehicles that are collectively over a half a million miles. One could not tell by the look or condition of them though.

Maintenance matters.

My truck has had 5 offers in the past two months. What they don't know is that I love my truck and that it will never be for sale (unless totaled). Current state tax - a whopping $17 a year with the same mileage as the OP. Drives like new and the front end still instantly lifts up 3"@70MPH when you hit the pedal to the metal.

Plus, it is cool to drive somewhere, anywhere and have complete strangers give your ride one or two thumbs up. Strangers come up to you just to talk about your vehicle. Strangers come up and simply comment that you have a nice ride. Even had an older lady walk out of a convenience store, see my truck, look at me closing the door to stop me in my tracks just to compliment the truck.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    I'd keep mine longer but the amount of salt my state uses makes it difficult.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice testimony to a well made car! Ah springtime! Time to bring out the toys! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I think everyone has different desires out of a vehicle.

To quote Grant Cardone,

You don't buy a leather jacket made by a tailor because you need it. You buy it because it makes you feel good.

:smiley:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Nice to see something in today's society that's not "throwaway", wishing you many more years of driving it.

PS. take an odometer pic in 3300 miles, it'll be cool to see all those 3's lined up :)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/