receiver recommendation for new setup

TesseracT
TesseracT Posts: 3
edited September 2017 in Electronics
Hello, i want to change my old samsung htib for a nice new setup. I live in a condo (in a building with only 3 condo), my living room is medium size and open on dining room and kitchen.

I will use it for movie, gaming, sport, music and probably to play guitar (using a usb interface with spdif out).

For the speaker i came up with that:

Polk S50s to start. Later i will add a S35 and some sub. Some months later a S10s with probably a rocketfish to be wireless. Right now i could buy the S50 for the same price of a RTI-A5..would it be the right choice or i'm better with a rti-a5?

My main question is more toward receivers, i did some research and the 3 that looked nice for me were: (price in cad)

Yamaha RX-V481 ($400)
Denon AVR-S530BT ($350)
Sony STR-DH770 ($350)

I don't care much about atmos and super fancy stuff. Audyssey looks nice but i think it's over my budget (max 400-450 cad). So as long as the receiver makes my speakers sound good, is reliable and have 4-5 hdmi output that can handle 4k i'm gonna be happy.

So would i be fine with any of those 3? Is one of them better than the other? or you can suggest me another receiver.

thanks!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2017
    Given your choice in receivers, the RTI-A5's would mate the best.

If you want a receiver to sound good, better than average, your going to have to move off the entry level offerings. Your budget doesn't allow that it appears. Just sayin'...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • What type of receiver would be the minimum to fully enjoy the S50? Keep in mind that i'm in a condo so i won't put the volume really really loud.

I wanted the S50 because the center of the RTI-A5 (csia4 or csia6) is much bigger than the S35 and would not fit on my tv stand.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    The Signature speakers are great speakers and will do well with both music and movies.

I agree with Tony and go a bit higher up the receiver chain to something with preouts and more power for possible future upgrades.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I too would also go with the Signatures, like @cfrizz said they are great on both music and movies.

RTi/RTiA are more for movies, being a former RTi-8 owner my Signatures play music a lot better than my RTi did. I don't miss the RTi when it comes to movies either.

For AVR I would look at Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. non Sony ES is not worth the time to hook up. Try to move up the chain away from the lower end entry level AVR, you'll be happy you did.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I think i will go with a Denon AVR-X1400H. I guess that would be enough?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    TesseracT wrote: »
    I think i will go with a Denon AVR-X1400H. I guess that would be enough?

Good choice, If you could go up even more would be better. Being that you're in a condo the 1400 will work well.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music