Sony DA4400 ES

Can get this AVR for $100. Anyone ever own or heard? TYIA.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Before last year all I owned was Sony ES. @ $100 that is a good pickup.

The Sony ES are great on music, just toss the AVR into AFD mode and enjoy.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    mrloren wrote: »

Cool. Thank you. The plan is to use for a budget 2 ch.
  • mrloren
    deronb1 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

Cool. Thank you. The plan is to use for a budget 2 ch.

In a 2ch the Sony ES will do you well. I have an old 2100 ES at work in 2CH that works very nice. plays 8 hours a day 5 day's a week. When I work Saturdays it goes up to -10db for 8+ hours and doesn't even get warm
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2017
    The last Sony ES products worth owning were back in the late '80's, IMO.

cowwiwhrc95b.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    We called them the wood ES... A couple of coworkers did pick them up at an unreal employee price, One guy got the full Monte (preamp, amp, CD, tape deck and FM tuner) with them odd looking ES speakers for like $1500. Sweet units, I lived in an apartment at the time so I didn't bother getting these. My neighbors didn't like the system I had at the time so going to these sweet wood ES would have had me kicked out.

Sometimes I miss working for Sony. Well most of the time.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    F1nut wrote: »

cowwiwhrc95b.jpg

I would love to have a system like that..............

One Sony ES I would add to the list is the Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD to be used as a CD player only. It was top of the line when introduced but now its obsolete as a DVD player (can't play 1080) and SACD's never quite made it.

But it still is an excellent CD player and if you shop around you should be able to find one <$250.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    delkal wrote: »
    SACD's never quite made it.

"Oh no, U di'int!" :o
  • delkal
    edited October 2017
    Viking64 wrote: »
    SACD's never quite made it.

"Oh no, U di'int!" :o

Before anyone starts let me rephrase that...........SACD's were never accepted by the general public and never achieved the popularity it was hoped for (but most Audiophiles love them).

And the 9000ES does an excellent job playing SACD's too. I think this player is is a bargain right now. It was the top of the line Sony player and used to cost $1500 +. It had the newest SACD technology and the newest 720P video (at the time) . But now for the most part it is obsolete. That said it is built like a tank, weighs more than my Amp, and is still one of the better players for playing CD's in 2 channel. When I bought mine for $225 I paid the money and ran to the car!

Actually if you can get any Sony ES equipment for $100-200 just get it.
  • mrloren
    That is the big thing I miss about working for Sony. We got nothing off on TV or play station, Home audio was between 30-50% off, sometimes more. when they were clearing out the older stuff it was like 60%. I picked up my DVP-NS3100ES DVD/SACD/CD player for less than $200 new.

Then again they couldn't make CRT's forever...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited October 2017

cowwiwhrc95b.jpg

One Sony ES I would add to the list is the Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD to be used as a CD player only. It was top of the line when introduced but now its obsolete as a DVD player (can't play 1080) and SACD's never quite made it.

But it still is an excellent CD player and if you shop around you should be able to find one <$250.

While i agree it's a great player, they had the MOST unreliable laser of any player Sony ever put out. There are no more NEW lasers to use for it they all now come from used 330/530 DVD players. These were Sony's low end players.
    I have had 5 of these 9000's did all the board modifications but still they all one day will show the C code for dead laser. The machine will diagnose all its own problems that is unique among players. The service manual shows you how to do it.
  • delkal
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

cowwiwhrc95b.jpg

While i agree it's a great player, they had the MOST unreliable laser of any player Sony ever put out. There are no more NEW lasers to use for it they all now come from used 330/530 DVD players. These were Sony's low end players.
    I have had 5 of these 9000's did all the board modifications but still they all one day will show the C code for dead laser. The machine will diagnose all its own problems that is unique among players. The service manual shows you how to do it.

Thanks for the heads up! It seems like CD lasers are a crapshoot once you get over 10 years. I wish the manufacturers would keep making parts for these expensive players that are doorstops when the laser goes out.

Really makes you appreciate Polk. They come out with replacement parts AFTER they quit selling the original speaker.