Classe is going out of business

Options
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Never heard their stuff, but always seemed like a respected brand that I would love to hear.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Would they have not been a candidate for a sale of their lineup or a buyout of some type? It seems odd to me, in these days of rotational ownership that someone wouldn't have a interest in such a lengthy heritage in the higher end.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Wow that's going to sting. It's sad but it may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Great stuff
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Would they have not been a candidate for a sale of their lineup or a buyout of some type? It seems odd to me, in these days of rotational ownership that someone wouldn't have a interest in such a lengthy heritage in the higher end.

Probably had to much baggage, as in debt.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    I've auditioned several speaker systems with Classé electronics, and I've always been impressed by the sound quality. @DSkip hit the nail on the head, as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, my sense of the situation is that without strong and costly marketing, high-end manufacturers are not going to survive in this market in which many people who have money to buy high-end equipment are being satisfied with lower quality, more convenient, easier to use alternatives. Many are more interested in whole-house systems that provide reasonably good sound than in great sound in a single room for listening. Dedicated listening rooms are giving way to home theaters.

In recent years, I've seen several very successful friends build new homes in which they install very expensive whole-house systems and relinquish the far better sounding systems they had in their prior home. It seems to be the fashion these days.

Perhaps, it's analogous to being satisfied with MP3 quality that makes listening convenient even though the listener knows he/she is sacrificing sound quality.

The industry may be consolidating.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    I also think the whole house solution is a bit of a rip off and people don't realize it.

I've heard some....dreadful is the term.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can understand the popularity of headphones, heck, I've invested a good chunk of change(compared to the average Joe) in my office rig. However, there is no way it comes even remotely close to my (not so hi-end compared to some of you yahoo's systems). I think, that for the most part, even today's well to do John Q Public doesn't have an appreciation for good sound, or even care for that matter. College aged people, how many have real systems compared to 10-20 years ago. Not many I'm betting.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I wonder how much of an investment it would take to buy the name and relaunch. Seems to me a company like Sound United could use a name like this in their portfolio.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    I wonder how much of an investment it would take to buy the name and relaunch. Seems to me a company like Sound United could use a name like this in their portfolio.

They would neuter it.
    Not to far different but about 10yrs ago Smith & Wesson was bought for 7 million dollars. The investors got all the tooling, patents and everything now its a hundreds of millions of dollars company and increasing every year. I wish I was part of that bunch.
  • stones89
    Options
    Sad indeed. One of my favorites, I still have a 20 year old Classe amp that works flawlessly. I always considered old iron Classe to be competition to Krell at more affordable prices.

Another one that bit the dust is also a favorite of mine - Thiel. The new owners took the name only and not a bit of the legacy. Not to mention wiping out the dealer network. They are on borrowed time at best.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Sad news indeed. It's a brave new world gents.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    They made such goregous looking equipment. Got to hear some of it when I was out in Japan, amazing sound.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Interesting. I guess China manufacturing just postponed it. On the other hand, Bryston seems to be doing really well.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Lots of factors appear to be at play in the consolidation of the high-end stereo equipment market.

All the more reason that those that survive will have to invest in marketing and sales promotion.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Skip, there is a big difference between a manufacturer and a dealer, but the concepts are obviously similar. Good luck.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I also think the whole house solution is a bit of a rip off and people don't realize it.

I've heard some....dreadful is the term.
    When I bring up Hi Fi to people these days, many of them are quick to point out they have one of these systems and how great it is. Back in the day....even as recent as the nineties....people seemed to get it much more when it came to gear. With that said, if I could get some of their gear discounted.....this may be a good reason or excuse.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Have wanted to try some Classe amps for a while now ( a knowledgeable friend uses them and says they are fantastic) but the prices for a vintage one is way up there. Maybe this will soften the market and I might be able to afford one or two!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    Have wanted to try some Classe amps for a while now ( a knowledgeable friend uses them and says they are fantastic) but the prices for a vintage one is way up there. Maybe this will soften the market and I might be able to afford one or two!

It'll either go that way (lower prices/demand) -- or the other way, you know?

:/
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    To me they should drop as they are extremely difficult to do any servicing on them as the manufacturer will not give out service manuals and specifications for servicing (I do understand their reasoning) but you no longer have an option to send to the manufacturer for updates and Servicing some of the repairs are just no longer able to be done and we certain issues that can develop they become a paperweight if they can't be fixed this is not just their equipment but several pieces of equipment when you get into the high-end stuff Krell ,McIntosh you name the brand it's not very different once you get up to a certain level, basically becomes a crapshoot whether you can get a system that last for a while or if it does experience an issue you have to throw it away. To me that's a major drop in value.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I've heard classe service is top notch, and that they have repaired and updated some of their equipment outside of warranty.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• soundfreak1
    Options
    Yes but no more apparently. They are out of business according to this thread.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    Options
    May be someone from the defunked co will go into the repair/service business.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Hope so for the sake of all the current owners. Hope he gets the parts and service books as well.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Lots of factors appear to be at play in the consolidation of the high-end stereo equipment market.

All the more reason that those that survive will have to invest in marketing and sales promotion.

Planning that route soon. Got any leads on a good consultant?

I wish I had some suggestions, @DSkip, but i've been away from direct involvement in the business world for too many years, now.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    "defunked" -- now, would James Brown have approved of that?