My employer over paid me thousands of dollars

afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited September 2017 in The Clubhouse
They screwed up and I didn't catch it so now they want the money back. What can I do short of bugging out to Mexico?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Go to Canada instead. :)

You could find some company letterhead and write up a letter about the bonus they gave you. Then just tell them no mistake was made.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Did you pay taxes on it?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It's no worse than having spoilage in production... It's the company's loss, and that's how it should be treated. This isn't your fault or problem, it's theirs, and unless they did it company wide, it's a drop in the bucket for them.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Donate it.
    You'll feel better and will teach your employer a valuable lesson.

Then take advantage of the writeoff ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • This shouldn't even be a question as that money does not belong to you. Honesty is the best policy.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Do you have a government job...or as a contractor?...
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    "I didn't catch it..." If you can make a good case that there was no reasonable way you should have known, it's possible you could convince them to not have to repay what you have already been overpaid. It is up to you to make that case. Please only do so if it is true. Otherwise, you are going to have to bite the bullet (and should have, sooner).
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Send the money back through Paypal and charge the 3% transaction fee...
    No "friends and family" for your employer.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Would you have caught it if it was short?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • afterburnt
    VR3 wrote: »
    Would you have caught it if it was short?

Nope, that's why it took so long. I have everything on auto pilot. I look to make sure everyone I owe gets paid except me.
  • afterburnt
    Jstas wrote: »
    Did you pay taxes on it?

Yes I did. I want to know how to make them fix their f up so I don't have to do all of the leg work. It is pretty complicated, if it were not for cash flow issues I would tell them to just keep my pay checks until they got it all back, but I would not be surprised if they screwed that up too.
  • afterburnt
    edited September 2017
    They should have to take it back a little at a time as it was paid out to me. But that's not how they are talking, lemme see if I can charm them or throw some voodoo on them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Tell them you deserve a raise and to make it retroactive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• teamjhertz
    teamjhertz Posts: 361
    edited September 2017
    I process commissions for my company and if an overpayment occurs we typically split the amount between 2-3 paychecks but we have the employee sign a repayment agreement to acknowledge they were overpaid
  • Have them take it back out at the same rate they paid out. That's fair
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • They will catch it in their next payroll audit and come at you for it. Best thing to do is admit you caught their mistake and make reparations. Always turns out to suck.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Your fault, their fault, my fault, nobody's fault, this is written in stone:
    You will have to pay it back.
    Period.
    NOTE: see the above.

No getting around it.
    The time period that you have to pay it back may be negotiable, but please understand, you WILL be paying it back.

Sal Palooza
  • afterburnt
    Wow, I am not trying to get out of paying it back I am just trying to find out if I have any recourse to keep them from taking it all at once. Forensics? oh the drama, the dram, the drama...

Mikey all parties are fully aware of the error.

I was the one that brought it to their attention.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Wow, I am not trying to get out of paying it back I am just trying to find out if I have any recourse to keep them from taking it all at once. Forensics? oh the drama, the dram, the drama...

Mikey all parties are fully aware of the error.

I was the one that brought it to their attention.

WTF, WTF, Well I guess that makes you an idiot. :blush: Didn't your mom ever tell you sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut! :smiley: JK.

If there a half decent company you should be able to work out a payment plan.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It's no worse than having spoilage in production... It's the company's loss, and that's how it should be treated. This isn't your fault or problem, it's theirs, and unless they did it company wide, it's a drop in the bucket for them.

Thats terrible advice
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2017
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They should have to take it back a little at a time as it was paid out to me. But that's not how they are talking, lemme see if I can charm them or throw some voodoo on them.

I agree with this, If they gave you an extra $100 a check that is how it should go back. Driving an employee homeless by trying to take back their error is wrong. Now if you worked for the jokers I do they would send you to collections or something.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Holy ****! Why is this so difficult? Did you spend it already? Give it back!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The first thing I would do is sit down with somebody at the company, and have them explain the error, as well as show you the extra paid out on each paycheck.

Then, depending on the amount and your financial; have it deducted from your paycheck over a period. This way the taxes will also be subtracted from uncle sam's cut.

It shouldn't be that difficult to come to some type of agreement.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Could be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen Lightman splurge that much on anything.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Could be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen Lightman splurge that much on anything.

I've got $28k cash in one side bin of my bucket truck.
    $100!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    If a big company, just tell 'em you already spent it all on stereo stuff and it's too late to return it. I'm sure they'll understand.

On the other hand, this makes it easy to explain to your difficult mail order brides why they have to go back (Even if you get to keep the money, this is still a good plan)
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Holy ****! Why is this so difficult? Did you spend it already? Give it back!

Holy ****! if it was paid a little at a time over many months do you think is just piling up in a corner?