Atmos Impacting SC-07 Performance?

So I still have my trusting Pioneer SC-07, however recently noticed a definite sound difference when playing some blurays on the Oppo. After a bit of investigating, it appears that BD with Atmos sound tracks are the culprit. The overall sound is a bit muddy with very little separation in surround channels. I can tell something just isn't right/different. 7.1 and 5.1 BD still sound great.

I know the SC07 is 10 years old now (ancient in the electronics world) and confirmed with Pioneer that there are no firmware updates. My Oppo is set for bitstream and 7 channel set up. The SC07 is set for Pure Direct.

Considering the SC07 does not speak Atmos and never will, is there a different setting I should use for the Oppo and/or SC07 to ensure I'm not losing sound through un-used Atmos channels or just the fact the SC07 can't digest all the information?

Time for an AVR upgrade? Thanks
Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
Front: Rti12's
Center: Csi A6
Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
APC H15
Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
The rest is TBD.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Since it has been a while since I have viewed any DVD's bear with me.
    Is there separate sound tracks for atmos vs. say 7.1 or 5.1 ? I would think that if you're picking DTS master 7.1 that would be the track it reads and Atmos would not be in the one sent.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    What this guy said^^^

I would change the audio format in the blurays menu. I'm sure that will be easier than a receiver upgrade.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Atmos runs via the "TrueHD" soundtrack. I believe the bitstream setting combined with pure-direct is letting the Oppo pass the TrueHD soundtrack instead of letting the Pioneer automatically detect and use a viable soundtrack like DD 5.1 or 7.1.

Speculating here but try leaving Bitstream on the Oppo and switching the SC to whichever auto setting it has...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    I made several settings changes in the Oppo and set the SC07 to auto surround and reran calibration. All seems to be good. Unfortunately this was not a true controlled experiment where I only changed one variable at a time, so I'm not sure which change was the silver bullet or combination.....
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.