HDMI AWG?

What does an AWG rating have to do with a HDMI cable?

Problem shooting my Apple TV 4K HDR. Can get 4K resolution but not HDR. Think all my other components are 4K/ HDR compatible.

Thank you.
AVR: Marantz SR 5011
L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
R: Def Tech
Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
DVD: Oppo UDP 203
TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited September 2017
    I think the HDMI cable needs to be version 2.0 to be compatible with HDR. And soon it will need to be version 2.1 (48 kb/sec.) to be compatible with Dynamic HDR. (Yes, I know. That sounds redundant.) And also 8K, which will be here sooner than you might think. Not to mention some of the high color gamut stuff. I'll let them sort all of that out before I start upgrading. :#

And back to your original question, I don't think wire gauge comes into play just yet, but it will with 2.1.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    For HDMI cables they're usually 23-26 gauge wire for the conductors. Longer run cables are usually 23awg. Not all HDR is created equal amongst the brands. Something might not be talking the same language.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Some HDMI cables are directional
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2017
    The difference between 1.4 and 2.0 was hardware/firmware/software related, not cable related. The requirements for cables didn't change a bit. If you are having an issue with components that are not talking to each other properly and are supposedly capable of the latest and greatest offerings, then you are most likely a firmware update away from the two pieces working together fully.

With that said, all things being equal in construction of the cables, I always go with the larger gauge cabling if flexibility of said cable is good.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable