Walter Becker of Steely Dan, dead at 67.

Options

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    One of my favorites, I have never tired of them. I have heard good things about their last studio album, the only one that I don't have. Let me see if it's back on Amazon.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Thank you for some of the best music ever written and performed. After all these years it definitely stands the test of time.

RIP Walter Becker

Amen and making it a weekly ritual has been a thing for my ears for years. What a great loss. RIP
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Watch Classic Albums: Steely Dan AJA! and get to know little bit about Walter and Donald and how they created what they have. AJA is still my Favorite SD LP and this show explains why I think.

Stream it or rent it or buy it from amazon...A must have if you ask me!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,033
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Watch Classic Albums: Steely Dan AJA! and get to know little bit about Walter and Donald and how they created what they have. AJA is still my Favorite SD LP and this show explains why I think.

Stream it or rent it or buy it from amazon...A must have if you ask me!

... or watch it in bits & pieces on Youtube :/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Today I was rummaging through my boxes of CD's and I ran across my copy of "A Decade of Steely Dan", which was immediately moved to my "Must Listen To Soon" pile.

Any suggestions as to which SD releases have the best mastering?
  • voltz
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Gaucho probably, even though I prefer AJA. Gaucho maybe one of the best recorded albums ever to me. just my opinion ;)

Personally, I think you should buy them all B) I did and I not complaining :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• Viking64
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Gaucho probably, even though I prefer AJA. Gaucho maybe one of the best recorded albums ever to me. just my opinion ;)

Personally, I think you should buy them all B) I did and I not complaining :p

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was thinking along the lines of compilations or box sets.
  • voltz
    edited September 2017
    Options
    LOL that cool!

Box sets? Steve Ray Vaughn Vinyl box Set from GRP in Salina Kansas, even Stevie's band mates say they never heard it sound so good!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/72286/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan-Texas_Hurricane-Vinyl_Box_Sets

the 33/12 rpm version is cheaper or the SACD's :)

there is no Steely dan box set yet! but the SACD japanese import of AJA is stellar!!
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/80819/Steely_Dan-Aja-SHM_Single_Layer_SACDs

• Viking64
    Options
    HAHAHAHA Okay, so what about Steely Dan compilations? I would guess the one I have isn't that great. And what the frack is an SACD???? :p
  • voltz
    Options
    I did not like SD's their greatest hits personally :) I get what you after but most compilations are compress sounding and who know where they got the songs from but some are excellent.

https://smile.amazon.com/Steely-Dan-Greatest-Hits/dp/B000005RVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506047235&sr=8-1&keywords=steely+dan's+greatest+hits

think your better grabbing most of your favorite CD's from SD and making a better play list! just my 2 cents

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2017
    Options
    for me - and FWIW - by the time they made Gaucho, the Dan had jumped the shark. It's too cool; too sardonically detached.

For me, Aja was their apotheosis (and, again FWIW, I think their best sounding album). A tad too glossily perfect, though, looking back over the decades.

but...

When it's all said & done -- I like their first album the best :)

https://youtu.be/rVns5KE13gs
  • voltz
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good call as always Doc!

very True in that "Can't buy a Thrill' is a excellent offering showing a much different Steely Dan!

Do it Again & Reeling in the Years" are forever stuck in my brain ;)

• Viking64
    Options
    I looked at Steely Dan's discography, and the number of songs on each album that I know (in chronopretzelogical order) is as follows: "Can't Buy a Thrill" = 3, "Countdown to Ecstacy" = 1, "Pretzel Logic" = 1, "Katy Lied" = 1, "The Royal Scam" = 3, "Aja" = 2, "Gaucho" = 1. I guess I don't know Steely Dan as well as many of you do. Hey, at least as far as 70's Scorpions vinyl, I've got everybody beat. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    not that anyone asked -- but my favorite single Steely Dan song is this one:

https://youtu.be/8fkP8P21OjI
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    The best part of My Old School was the sax section.....and Jeff Baxter's solos. Too bad they lip synced that video and left the saxes in the studio.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The best part of My Old School was the sax section.....and Jeff Baxter's solos. Too bad they lip synced that video and left the saxes in the studio.

Yes, I concur -- great solos. The upbeat construction of the tune vs. the bitter yet snide lyrics is what makes the song, for me.

It appeared that this particular video was a mash-up of the original video (which was surely lip-synched, too) with a good quality (relatively speaking) audio track of the song; i.e., a meta-lip-synch! :) I decided to link that video because I thought it was cool to see the band (they were an actual band, of sorts, back then) in their shaggy glory :)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Is it my imagination or is Walter rocking the Thunderbird bass? I always thought he played guitar...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »

Is it my imagination or is Walter rocking the Thunderbird bass? I always thought he played guitar...

He was listed as bass player at least in the early days.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Learn something new every day... Thanks Doc!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I love their entire catalog. Had someone here not familiar with Steely Dan, they heard Gaucho on vinyl and bought the entire catalog only to discover they didn't like the earlier stuff.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't think I ever bought a copy of Gaucho. I do have a copy on licorice pizza; I think I found it on the swap pile at the town dump in Harvard back in the days when we lived there :)
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2017
    Options
    And here I bought a 200 gram USM Japan Gaucho for what, $40 at the time? And I love low efficiency speakers too. No regrets. :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    And here I bought a 200 gram USM Japan Gaucho for what, $40 at the time? And I love low efficiency speakers too. No regrets. :)

I am not here to judge.

;)

• Viking64
    Options

I am not here to judge.

;)

You gaucho own opinion. He has his. :p
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

LOL Nice!
  • mhardy6647
    Options

I am not here to judge.

;)

Well played, sir. Well played.

:)
  • lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    Options
    HAHAHAHA Okay, so what about Steely Dan compilations? I would guess the one I have isn't that great. And what the frack is an SACD???? :p

4savi2b35q1a.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2017
    Options
    4savi2b35q1a.png

Whew! At least he didn't ask about DVD-A!

;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    And what the frack is an SACD???? :p
    Seriously?
    Super audio compact disc...
    Put the game controller down and come up for knowledge once in a while.

Need a special player to play sacd. So if you do not have an sacd player do not but sacd.