I saw Alison Krauss in Hershey PA

Options
schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,328
edited September 2017 in Music & Movies
I recently saw Alison Krauss in Hershey PA. It was the first show of her tour with David Gray. Alison did not disappoint. Her voice was smooth and steady in perfect pitch. She could transition from her very high pitch, soft head voice to a stronger more belting delivery smoothly. The musicians that we playing with her included two members of Union Station. The banjo/guitar player Ron Block and the tall bass player Barry Bales.

She opened up with a song from her 2017 Windy City release "River in the Rain". Then immediately played some of her older songs "Stay", "Forget About It", "Ghost in this House", "Baby Now that I've Found You". "Down to the River to Pray", "The Lucky One" and more. She also played some of her real early gospel songs with the Cox family brother and sister: Sidney and Suzanne Cox. Sidney played the dobro and Suzanne sang on backing vocals. These songs include: "When God Dips His Pen of Love in My Heart", "Walk Over God's Heaven", "Maybe" and Living Pray". "Down to the River" was performed full acapella with four singers on backing vocals.

This is my second time to see Alison and I really enjoyed this show. The Hershey Theater is an old but beautiful full size orchestral theater. My wife and I splurged a little and stayed in the Hotel Hershey next to the Hershey Gardens. We had a great time.

It looks like she will be in Philly, New York and Boston before heading to Columbia, Maryland and beyond. She will be at Red Rocks, CO a week after RMAF. Too bad she couldn't have been there the same week. I would have went again. Plenty of opportunities for Polkies to hear this fabulous performer and audiophile favorite Alison Krauss. Who else ig going to see this tour? Jesse, she's coming your way next week!!

Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    She's one on the bucket list that I've never seen. Wanted to see her and Robert Plant really bad. Raising Sand was a fantastic album, best of the year IMHO. Planned to see them with some friends in St. Louis at the Fox Theater IIRC, but then some emergency came up at work and had to cancel at the last minute. Figured I would get another chance to see them tour but no dice. She's an incredible talent and I hope I can get to a show soon. It sounds like you saw an excellent show. Congrats!