Speaker Upgrade Options and System Layout Questions

Options
Hi everyone,

I don't have much of a post history, but I've been a long-time lurker. I recently moved to a different home and am in the process of considering how to set-up a basement rec/entertainment room. So, I have several questions and I would be grateful for any help you may be able to provide.

System Components

Goal: I'd like a nice 5.1 system for this space. 75% HT, 25% music.

Current inventory:
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-61
L & R: TSi400 (x2)
Center: CS10
Surround: T15 (x2)
Sub: PSW111

Extras: RTi6 bookshelves (x2) (on loan to inlaws at the moment)
Niles CM7MP in-ceiling speakers (x4)

I know my system has some opportunity for upgrading, and attempting to set-up the speakers in the new space has caused me to start looking at my entire inventory to see what opportunity I had to buy/sell economically to get the best bang for my buck. As you'll see further below, I started by assessing what my options were for surround speakers by looking at the OWM3 and FXi options but I've come across a few different deals that I'm having a hard time passing up.

Option 1: Replace the TSi400s and CS10 with RTi A7 and CSi A4 (or A6). I found a really great deal on some RTi A7s and might be able to get the pair for less than $400. The Polk ebay store has the CSi A4 for $122 and the CSiA6 for $196. So, to come out with a new front soundstage for $600 or less would be great, especially if I could sell my current set-up for $300 or so. Am I wrong that the RTi A7s at less than $400 for the pair is too good to pass up?

Option 2: Replace the T15 with OWM3, FXiA4 or FXiA6. The T15s aren't anything special, and I don't know what to do with my surround set-up because our couch is going to be on the back wall. We've got a toddler in the house so I'm hesitant to put speakers on stands. My wife also really doesn't like the look of big bookshelves hanging from the wall or ceiling. So, I just don't know what we can do for rear speakers. I'm hoping the FXiA4 or OWM3 would be unobtrusive enough that she could deal with either being wall mounted. To fund this switch I'd sell the T15 and RTi6 sets.

If I ended up with: RTiA7, CSiA6, OWM3, and the PSW111, would I have made a good investment of $200 or so? I know the PSW111 isn't my long term solution, but I have a long way to go before I can convince my wife I should invest in a serious sub. Is the OWM3 completely out of place here?

System Layout

Below are a few renderings of what the space is going to look like. One from overhead, one from where the TV will be located. What I couldn't render is the ceiling, which due to some ductwork drops down over a good portion of the couch and the length of the TV wall. I sketched that in both drawings to give you an idea.

Based on these drawings and knowing that putting speakers on stands isn't ideal, how would you suggest we achieve decent surround sound? And, which of the many speaker options would you suggest?

i767joeoxqnp.jpg

kwl5veegpnel.jpg

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I truly appreciate the input.

Thanks.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You already have a complete system, and while the fxi-a are curved, they aren't exactly small. Here is a picture of my fxi-3s.

6161cj1rz12t.jpg

You have a good receiver, what I would do is get a five channel amp for all of your speakers so that they can run to their full potential. Then buy a serious sub like an SVS-1000 SB or PB.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/pb-1000-outlet-1305

As for amplifiers, the first is the exact model that I have myself. Yes it has few scratches, but a permanent black marker will take care of that. What matters is the power it gives to your speakers. If you don't mind buying used, you will get more for your money. Don't forget this gear is built to last for years.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-sunfire-cinema-grand-5-channel-power-amplifier-19-version-2148-2017-09-14-amplifiers

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-sunfire-cinema-grand-architect-s-choice-series-ii-5-channel-power-amplifier-2017-09-13-amplifiers

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-five-channel-amplifier-2017-08-31-amplifiers

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-excellent-condition-2017-08-22-amplifiers
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ArsenalFC wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Get the RTiA7's and CSiA6 as they are much better than what you have now. Your Pioneer Elite AVR will have no problem driving them. For the rears you can kept what you have now as it's basically ambient fill, but the FXiA would be better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ArsenalFC
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...For the rears you can kept what you have now as it's basically ambient fill, but the FXiA would be better.

Given that the couch is going to be against the back wall (unless I manage some sort of miracle), how would you suggest I place/mount bookshelves? Or, how should I place/mount FXiAs?

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    If mounting on the back wall, the FXIA series would be the better choice. If mounting on the sides of the couch, either would work well.

The FXIA series can be switched to fire more forward or more towards the sides.

Personally I use the FXI A6's as surrounds, sides of listening position. Have the RTI A3's as rears. My seating position is 5 feet away from the rear wall, which gives the speakers enough room to project the sound.

Not saying bookies wouldn't work on your back wall, but think the FXI series would work better.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,456
    Options
    ArsenalFC wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...For the rears you can kept what you have now as it's basically ambient fill, but the FXiA would be better.

Given that the couch is going to be against the back wall (unless I manage some sort of miracle), how would you suggest I place/mount bookshelves? Or, how should I place/mount FXiAs?

Speakers have a keyhole slot for wall mounting. Either the FXi above the lamps or RTiA-1 on the left and right wall. Run the wire inside the wall might meet WAF.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ArsenalFC
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Run the wire inside the wall might meet WAF.

I had to look that acronym up. :smile: Appreciate the thoughts everyone.