Voice coil rub with use / heat or magnet shift.

Options
I finally swapped my 11t's with TL's. I hadn't given the TL's much time or a work out since I purchased them. After they were paying for a shorter while, some sounded off/scratchy for stong bass with little else. Sure enough, when I lightly pressed the driver, or the PR's I heard scratching. I guessed that while I was careful in moving them, and never dropped them, a magnet must have shifted.

I waited a day to swap it with one from the 11t's. When I pulled it out, and checked again, nothing rubs. I have to press only on one side to get it to rub. The magnet looks centered measuring it to the steel disks. I swapped the drivers anyway and the bad one does not make a sound in the 11t's when I press it or the PR's.

I am guessing it must be use / heat related and and looking for confirmation. Is there any fix for this?

Comments

• ken brydson
    Options
    Try flipping them 180 degrees and test. Seems like I've heard that works sometimes.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It didn't work. I am guessing something was out of alignment from stock, or maybe the magnet moved a little at some point, but not enough to lock it. I tried it in all 4 positions. Once it played for a very short while at even a moderate volume I heard some scratches. I gave them a decent workout when I bought them, so idk what is up. I played with it more out of the cabinet and it seams like the rub is 90 degrees off normal orientation (never had them on their sides). I'll look for a used 6510 and maybe karma this one to magnet shift repair if its possible or to whoever wants to try something to fix it.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I'll give it a shot...