Big boys for sale

Options

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    Options
    woodhead 2 wrote: »
    https://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_byqmtl6FsBQ_600x450.jpg1php0l2myat4.png

What do you think of the price? Too high?I thought they were going for a lot cheaper, since stock.

Those look like mine when they were stock. I paid $2550 in 2001, on eBay, for a near mint, one-owner, pair. I thought I was going to get them for $1908, but someone came in with a late $2500 bid that dug a few hundred more out of my pocket. The ones I bought had been sitting in a closet for 7 years after the original owner died. By the way, for perspective, I had been looking for a pair in good condition, that was reasonably close to me, for 7 years. I spent an additional $200 on van rental and gas and another $7,884.42 in parts and cosmetic upgrades over the years. If I assigned a reasonable cost to the 156.5 hours of modification labor and research, that would tack on another few k$.
    VR3 wrote: »
    I am a firm believer that most everyone sells their SDAs for too little.

That is because most everyone who sells them is trying to save their marriage and they need a quick sale.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    When I brought mine home my wife said she would bury me in mine.I think she really meant it. :#
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    When I brought mine home my wife said she would bury me in mine.I think she really meant it. :#

You'd ALMOST fit in one. Almost.

That's why there are 2, half in one.....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    20Hz

Caught that did ya? Dude said db any time he should have been saying Hz.
  • TNTsTunes
    Options

I have sold one pair of 1.2TL for $3,250 (stock drivers) and the other for $3,250 (upgraded tweeters) - that is stock, unmodded (except aluminum plates and sda cable)

The SRS unmodded is worth $2,500 all day to the right person in great condition.

This makes me want to take a cash advance out so I can snag the SRS's that are for sale by me. They are cheaper then a coffin and surely more enjoyable too.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options

BINGO!!! The opinion must be based on what?

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    I know I would never get what I have invested in mine, but that is not why I did it, I have had these for what 6-7 years now? They have given me a lot of joy in the time I have had them, I would think they are worth 2-3k but I don't even think about that as I don't plan on them leaving me anytime soon..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    warren wrote: »

BINGO!!! The opinion must be based on what?

When you figure out how to quote a post and compose a question, let someone know and I'll see if I've got an answer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Weird, double post.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I know I would never get what I have invested in mine, but that is not why I did it, I have had these for what 6-7 years now? They have given me a lot of joy in the time I have had them, I would think they are worth 2-3k but I don't even think about that as I don't plan on them leaving me anytime soon..

I agree @Toolfan66 , I don't have anywhere near what you have invested in your SDA SRS 1.2TLs in my SDA 1C's (not even close) but the relatives will have to fight over them or whatever after I'm worm food, I'll never sell them!!
    Weird, double post.

Hey it's the wonder of Vanilla.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Personal time is almost always lost in any project, upgrade, restoration, etc. As far as parts go, I had looked at some original SRS blade blade for around $1000 with some other HT equipment included that could be sold for a couple hundred easy, a while ago. As I recall I figured the cost to convert stock SRS to 1.2TL would be ~$400 for tweeters ~$600 for higher end crossovers, plus finding new drivers (8, I think). The total was around $1500-1800. So a fully modded equivalent would be around this asking price for stock 1.2TL's.

There are also a pair of SRS with all RD-0194s for around $1000 one state over.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,686
    Options
    The title of this thread reminds me of the break in the 10CC song "I'm Not In Love". :p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    What happened to the OP?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Options
    What happened to the OP?

Maybe he ran-off with a couple of "big boys"? :p
  • Viking64
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

He might have bailed on his own thread. Hope it wasn't anything I said. o:) no, really.

Everything you said made perfect sense, although I was lost on the "grandma" references. HAHAHAHA
  • woodhead 2
    Options
    What happened to the OP?

Busy counting my pennies. Lol
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    What happened to the OP?

Busy counting my pennies. Lol

Go get 'em!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • woodhead 2
    Options
    He is down to 2500 now
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • woodhead 2
    Options
    Had plans of buying a new Skidoo this winter. If he has another price drop, may reconsider.
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Had plans of buying a new Skidoo this winter. If he has another price drop, may reconsider.

Call him and make an offer... then go look and pull out 1500 cash in 50 dollar bills and ask for help in loading them up. I can guarantee he will look at his wife and she will be gleeful and you will be the new owner of 1.2TL's...

• woodhead 2
    Options
    That would be sweet.
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • Viking64
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That would be sweet.

Chances are that regardless of how stock these are, you would be blown away by the sound as they are. They seem to be in excellent condition, which would make a great "starting point" for a full upgrade.

My suggestion is to nab these when they get in your "spending range". You can always do upgrades/mods gradually. Maybe start with tweeters ($400 for all 8), Larry's rings, and the simple/inexpensive tricks on the cabinet like Power Grab on the seams. Loctite Red and Dynamat Xtreme on the drivers. Eventually you can upgrade the crossovers.

This thread is an excellent source of information: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/133384/all-the-polk-sda-upgrades-located-in-one-place/p1

You can choose which upgrades you want to do and then cross them off your list as your budget allows.

• woodhead 2
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    That would be sweet.

Chances are that regardless of how stock these are, you would be blown away by the sound as they are. They seem to be in excellent condition, which would make a great "starting point" for a full upgrade.

My suggestion is to nab these when they get in your "spending range". You can always do upgrades/mods gradually. Maybe start with tweeters ($400 for all 8), Larry's rings, and the simple/inexpensive tricks on the cabinet like Power Grab on the seams. Loctite Red and Dynamat Xtreme on the drivers. Eventually you can upgrade the crossovers.

This thread is an excellent source of information: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/133384/all-the-polk-sda-upgrades-located-in-one-place/p1

You can choose which upgrades you want to do and then cross them off your list as your budget allows.

Are you using the Silk amp to drive yours?
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • Viking64
    Options
    Are you using the Silk amp to drive yours?
    Yes. It sounds great, too. The only thing is, both my preamp (pre/out on an integrated) and the Silk amp have volume controls and with both in the 12:00 position, it isn't as loud as the internal 110w main amp of my Yamaha. I have tried researching how best to set these controls. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet and most of it is beyond my technical comprehension. On the plus side of that, I can keep it at a comfortable/listenable volume and spare my ears a little. HAHAHAHA

• woodhead 2
    Options
    All I have is a Marantz 7009, and that's in my HT. Going to keep an eye on the speakers and see where he goes with his pricing. If he drops one more time, then I will call him. Two and a half hour drive for me to see them.
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • Viking64
    Options
    All I have is a Marantz 7009, and that's in my HT. Going to keep an eye on the speakers and see where he goes with his pricing. If he drops one more time, then I will call him. Two and a half hour drive for me to see them.

That may sound like a long drive, but I would think of that as the first step in a grand, lifetime-long love affair. :D
  • Shelby66
    Shelby66 Posts: 17
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I scored the pair in Milwaukee, heck of a deal and condition was immaculate! :#
    f6fvqi17d16r.jpg
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    @Shelby66 If that is your set-up, don't toe them in. They are intended to fire straight ahead for the SDA effect to work properly.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Shelby66 wrote: »
    I scored the pair in Milwaukee, heck of a deal and condition was immaculate! :#
    f6fvqi17d16r.jpg

So you're the one who beat me to them. I snoozed... Probably a good thing, I need a bigger room already and have 2.3's.

Enjoy.
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Those look nice. Are they fully stock?

They are original SRS's with RDO194 tweeters.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Nice
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"