Hurricane Irma

Options
123457»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I never understood why any intelligent person would live in a mobil home in Florida of all places. No offence to those that do as i did as well at one time but never again. Hurricanes and tornado alley are just not the areas for them.

IMHO
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I never understood why any intelligent person would live in a mobil home in Florida of all places. No offence to those that do as i did as well at one time but never again. Hurricanes and tornado alley are just not the areas for them.

IMHO

Just chain it to a picnic table and you're good. :D
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

IMHO

Yeah a tinder box cheaply made that can blow away in 40mph winds
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Power is back on here--I can put up with a lot of different types of discomfort, but 72 hours without AC in SW FL heat just about drove me nuts. Cable and internet won't be back until next week, so can't work or stream Tidal. Listening to CDs through my system using a cheap $60 Sony BD player. This system makes even that cheap player sound great!

Office had a bad leak, had to tear out all carpet. Who knows when we will get that repaired--contractors and materials are a hot ticket right now.

Something really cool was a SAR outfit from Arizona showed up here two days ago. They were in Houston the last two weeks after Harvey, then came over to Orlando to stage before the storm hit, and waited for orders. Impressive to see their trucks rolling into town, self contained and ready with everything they need, including cots and food, with the sole mission to save others. And mighty humbling thinking of the sacrifices they make for all of us.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Viking64
    Options
    So true, Fred. I was in Florida for 4 hurricanes in 2004 and have been on both the "giving" and "receiving" end of that same type of kindness. Both were equally rewarding.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    On a side note, nice avatar Viking. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • Viking64
    edited September 2017
    Options
    On a side note, nice avatar Viking. :)
    Thank you. I just took a look at your profile and I was able to see yours. :p Right back atcha! Here's me and my Spankie getting ready to go for a **** walk during one of the 2004 hurricanes.

o5dyayxaj6lw.jpg

• Viking64
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The word "p-o-o-p" keeps appearing and disappearing. :s
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    The word "p-o-o-p" keeps appearing and disappearing. :s

Happens a lot as you get older, flush twice. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A coop from north Alabama got power back up yesterday a little south of Jax. Watched them change out a transformer in 90 degree heat dressed in very thick long sleeve shirts and pants, much respect to @lightman1, you guys are bad to the bone.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Gotta stay safe in all conditions....
    StevieB wrote: »
    A coop from north Alabama got power back up yesterday a little south of Jax. Watched them change out a transformer in 90 degree heat dressed in very thick long sleeve shirts and pants, much respect to @lightman1, you guys are bad to the bone.

Wish I was there.......
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    @lightman1

We may need you for Maria! :/
  • lightman1
    Options
    @lightman1

We may need you for Maria! :/

Fingers crossed that you won't, Mike. ;)
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Russ...can you tell us what the typical work schedule is like for those out there working to restore power?

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • lightman1
    Options
    16hrs on, 8 off. Grab a meal. Do a head count. Reset crews and trucks. Repeat.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Any days off?

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Last night about 8pm I was over on the east coast, filling my vehicle beside of a power crew. I thanked him for coming to help us and asked where he was from. Said KY. He then thanked me for thanking him--said he had someone yelling at him today about getting power on at their house. How ungrateful some can be and just downright nasty.

He said they sleep on cots in big tractor trailers that are brought in for them. They were eating the convenience store food for their evening meal. These men and women put their lives on hold, leave their family behind to come and help us, live in conditions worse than we have to endure, and we treat them like that? Just unbelievable.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    @lightman1 will help people like that with their bushes

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    I'm finding it incredible how quickly humanity can go from "Oh no I'm going to die!" to "Where the hell is my power?"

In Tampa I was fortunate enough not to lose power, so I'm one of the lucky ones. But I survived for weeks on generator power when I still lived up north. Sandy, Irene, and the nor'easters pretty much mean I've seen a lot more storm damage in my day than most Floridians.

Florida has done an INCREDIBLE job dealing with this storm. Are there lessons to be learned? Sure. Has the recovery gone perfectly? No. But this was a 400-mile wide storm that made landfall as a Cat 4. Come on people!

They were warning us about this storm for 2 weeks. We were warned repeatedly to expect power outages that could last more than a week. And yet here are all the heros who rode out the storm, completely unprepared, and they are the ones who are cursing the power workers. How dare they. It's sickening. You're alive! Shut up! If you can't live without power, go stay with someone who has! People should be bringing these line crews hugs and food, not cursing at them. Times like these really bring out the ugliest in mankind. With so many, it's just all about me, me, me.

Florida will be on its feet in no time and better than ever.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • lightman1
    Options
    @lightman1 will help people like that with their bushes
    I just run over them with the truck.
    Any days off?
    Not usually. Unless it a long run, then a few here and there.

.....And Fred......Some people just can't see past the front yard of the shallow lives they lead.
    Tip O' the Hat to ya, buddy. B)